• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Xeon E5-2603v2 on X99

Associate
Hi, I was wondering if I could run a 'low end' Xeon E5-2603 / 2609 cpu in a X99 motherboard and still be able to use all 40 PCI-e lanes?

I want to run 3 or 4 gpu's at a minimum x8 mode. Not interested in over clocking the cpu at all, this is only for gpu functions (F@H) to be exact.

Anyone tried this cpu in a X99 board?

Thanks,
Colin.

Associate
OP
Thanks yes I had already done that, and yes, it does suggest 40 lanes, otherwise I would not have known about the 40 lanes. I was asking if anyone had actually tried it.

Maybe to be fair, I should have posted in the motherboards forum. Mods, feel free to move to MD forum.

Soldato
Thanks yes I had already done that, and yes, it does suggest 40 lanes, otherwise I would not have known about the 40 lanes. I was asking if anyone had actually tried it.

Maybe to be fair, I should have posted in the motherboards forum. Mods, feel free to move to MD forum.

I run a E5 V2 Ivybridge Xeon and it's fine. If Intel list 40 lanes then 40 lanes it is..

Asrock are the best when it comes to Xeon support tbh. Then it goes Asus and Gigabyte. However, Asrock are the only motherboard manufacturer to actually test and list pretty much every Xeon that physically fits. Asus list a couple, as do Gigabyte.

Associate
OP
ALXAndy - that was very helpful, thank you. I have been researching the most cost effective ways to build a 3 or 4 way NV folding rig at the lower cost model. Building a full on X99 system is way over the top for just gpu folding and from experience, CPU folding isn't worth the money / elecy any more, IMO.

This might just be a good build now, thanks. :)

Just an update. I checked the Gigabyte X99-UD3 / UD4 boards support the E5-2603 & 2609 cpu's but they must be 'V3' cpu versions.

Last edited:
Associate
That CPU should work in X79 boards with the earlier version of socket 2011. X99 uses 2011v3 so should only support Haswell-E based Xeons

Soldato
The 2011 Xeon I bought is currently on the auction site (not mine !) for £200 OBO.

TBH if you can get him down to £150ish it's a fine CPU and the board and ram won't kill you either.

Back
Top Bottom