Anyone using a M.2 slot SSD?

Associate
Am just building myself an i7 Haswell rig using the Asus Gene VII and been looking into the M.2 slot and noticed there are some proper fast SSD drives out there that fit it :cool:

Just wondering if anyone is using a M.2 slot SSD and how you have found it? The 2 fastest I can see out there so far are the Plextor M6e which OcUK sale, heres the 256mb one - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-013-PL&groupid=1657&catid=2101&subcat=2199

But even faster I see are the Samsung XP941 which can read at over 1000MB/s which has certainly raised an eyebrow!

Anyone using either of these? :D

Associate
I am using the Plextor 256GB M6e and it is quite fast. I can notice a slight improvement over my Samsung 840 Pro. I did not go for the Samsung one as some user reported it gets quite hot, and also it does not have an AHCI BIOS and causes a little issue when trying to set it as boot drive. Plextor seemed a safer choice so I went for it. Using it with my ASUS X99 Deluxe.

Associate
I've not experienced any issues using my XP941 using it as boot drive tbh, also have a 850 Pro and a Crucial MX100 in the same machine and these benchmark at about the same.

The XP941 does benchmark much higher but not sure how much that counts for in real applications.

Associate
Can anyone tell me if my GeneV would benefit from using an M.2 SSD please. There is some kind of riser in the box, but I am not convinced.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am using the Plextor 256GB M6e and it is quite fast. I can notice a slight improvement over my Samsung 840 Pro. I did not go for the Samsung one as some user reported it gets quite hot, and also it does not have an AHCI BIOS and causes a little issue when trying to set it as boot drive. Plextor seemed a safer choice so I went for it. Using it with my ASUS X99 Deluxe.

Ah nice one as I am seriously considering the Plextor M6e, have you done any speed tests on it such as CrystalDiskMark etc?

Associate
OP
Also I done some research and the Samsung will never run at rated speed on the Gene VII or in fact any boards with Z97 chip-sets but will on some of the higher X99 boards.

The board needs to have a "PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2" where as the Z97 and under will have a "M.2 mini-PCIe 2.0 x1 slot " which has a max bandwidth of 800MB/s so the Samsung XP941 would be a waste really and the Plextor a better option.

Some great info on here about it all - http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/art...icalinterfaces

Associate
That applies to most, but not all Z97 boards.

The Asus Impact VII has an M.2 which will run at PCIE 3.0 4x by taking lanes off the 16x slot. I opted against the XP941 however as the price is way too high for the performance returns (It is pretty rare to sustain more than the 5-600MB/sec possible over Sata3).

@coolamasta: Your link is a bit broken...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom