Which 4Tb SATA Drive - Cool running?

Associate
Hi Guys, I'm moving to Malta shortly and want to grab a backup drive for my main pc before I leave. It gets rather hot there, so I'm keen on getting a HD that runs cooler if possible so there's some room for high ambient temps not to have an effect. The PC tends to be on 24/7 but the drive will be used as a backup, so probably only getting access in the evening.

Any suggestions on a cool running reliable 4tb drive?

Associate
Airflow over the drive is more important in my experience, lower RPM will help but if it's in a dead spot or external enclosure and not spinning down when idle then it'll get hot regardless.

In a warm climate lower RPM and some airflow is probably the way to go. You only need a bit of airflow to make a big difference, no need for a screaming fan ;)

Associate
I have many different 4TB models, and I found Seagate NAS drive to be the one with the lowest temperature and it is faster than the WD Red drives.

But if you are thinking of reliability, rather than looking for a low rpm drive, maybe get a drive which are built to be more reliable such as a WD RE Enterprise 4TB? Its expensive but well worth the price.

Back
Top Bottom