Ideas for my first car.

Gti

Gti

Associate
I'm thinking of a hatchback right now. I want the rear passenger doors as I've always felt it's safer than having people get out to let others out.
Preferably no "lady" cars like the KA, i've been in them and they don't feel like they'd offer much protection.

Would I be able to get a decent Golf or similar for under 5k?

Soldato
Your name is Gti, it's your first car and you want.... something safe. Bleh.

How old are you (for insurance consideration), what's your expected annual mileage, how many people do you need to carry, and how regularly?

Soldato
5k is a great budget for a first car. Have a look at the Focus, Seat Leon and Mazda3 too, you'll probably find you can get a better spec for your money with those than with the VW.

Associate
My advice would be is try and buy something "Girly" as it will give you lower insurance premiums! This is why I had a 1.4 Lupo as a first car, it was less to insure then a 1.2 Corsa or 1.1 Saxo, more reliable, faster and generally better! £5k gives you a nice budget to do the same sort of thing.

Gti

Gti

Associate
OP
Your name is Gti, it's your first car and you want.... something safe. Bleh.

How old are you (for insurance consideration), what's your expected annual mileage, how many people do you need to carry, and how regularly?

The name isn't a reference to the car.
I use to have a 600cc sportsbike, I've been through my 'tear it everywhere' stage. Will save the sporty car for my mid-life crisis.

I'd say around 6k per year.
I would often but sporadically (due to shift work) give workmates a lift. Usually 1 but up to 3. On rare occasions I'd have a car of kids to deal with.

5k is the max i'm looking to spend as i'll also be buying a house next year so the less i spend, the bigger deposit i have.

Associate
Tear aware stage and only had a 600cc? At 23 I had a 1300cc!
Insurance wont be insane really, the usual Hatchback Civic, Golf etc.... Id go Civic with a £5k budget tho

Soldato
I'll help you out:

1. You want a car that's not girly.
2. £5,000 maximum because you're buying a house next year. It's safe to assume you want reliability and cost savings over something fun that has potential for big bills.
3. You're 29 years old.
4. You expect to do around 6,000 miles. Let's round that up to 10,000 miles annually.
5. You want a 5 door hatchback.

I recommend you spend £4,000 on a car. Keep the £1,000 in the bank for repairs for when things do go wrong. It means when you've bought a house next year, you wouldn't have to worry too much about car costs.

Go for something sensible. You can buy a decent 2005 facelift Mk3 Mondeo for around £4,000.

Beware, Mondeo's are workhorses. People often sell them with more than 100k miles on the clock. Don't be put off by this as long as it has the correct paperwork and has been looked after.

If you want something "smaller" then go for the Mondoe's smaller brother, the Focus.

Last edited:
Associate
About 8 years ago i brought a mk2 fiat punto 1.2 16v sporting with 50k on it for £1000. kept it for over 5 years (and 65k miles) and it proved to be cheap to run and maintain, and never failed me once.

If you'd be happy with a smaller car, I'm sure the fiat panda 100hp would be a good start, for a cheap and fun first car with 5 doors, though a squeeze to fit adults in the back i'm guessing.

Looking at about £2.5k - £3k last time i looked.

Back
Top Bottom