Help! Cooking meat for tonight...

Soldato
Mother has picked up two pieces of meat to be served to the family tonight, but her skills in the kitchen are not much to be desired so thought I would check.

We have some beef and some pork - what's the best way to do them? She wants to make some hot sandwiches with them.

They do have cooking guidelines, but just want to check to see if there is a better way of doing it that will be even tastier.

BA3cebnl.jpg

p68LlZdl.jpg

fthgA0pl.jpg

Associate
I cooked a piece of pork similar to the one you have (mine was from ASDA too), the time on the pack was a touch too long and I had to turn it down from gas mark 7 (220 degrees) to about gas mark 5-6 (180 - 200 I believe) after an hour as the top of the pork was burning.

I'd recommend turning the heat down a touch and check the pork with a meat thermometer with an hour to go just so you can gauge how long you should leave it cooking.

Also leave it to rest for an hour after cooking :)

Associate
Guarantee that at 220c for 3.5hrs will result in a burnt dry mess.would recommend cooking the pork at 220 for 30mins then no more than an additional 1.5hrs at 180c ideally remove from oven when internal temp hits 60c and rest for 30mins or more.

For the beef I would brown it off in a hot pan and then hot oven for ~20mins or 15mins for rare. Again its best to use a meat thermometer and take out when temp hits~ 45 and then rest for 30mins

Man of Honour
Agreed with PP in general though I think 20 minutes might be a bit too short for the beef. I doubt the centre will have gotten above room temperature by then.

If you've got the time do the pan browning step and then set your oven to quite low (70C) and leave the beef in there for a good few hours. Take it out and wrap in foil/rest for 30 minutes before slicing.

A thermometer is your friend here, as already said. A rib roast like that you want to be medium-rare to get the best out of it. In a perfect world this would mean that the entire piece of beef is 57C throughout.

Associate
Agreed with PP in general though I think 20 minutes might be a bit too short for the beef. I doubt the centre will have gotten above room temperature by then.

If you've got the time do the pan browning step and then set your oven to quite low (70C) and leave the beef in there for a good few hours. Take it out and wrap in foil/rest for 30 minutes before slicing.

A thermometer is your friend here, as already said. A rib roast like that you want to be medium-rare to get the best out of it. In a perfect world this would mean that the entire piece of beef is 57C throughout.

Depends how long its in the pan and also how thick it is. Dont underestimate how much the beef cooks when properly browned in a pan, a single rib roast is a bit like a large steak and cooks quite quickly. Heat penetrates the meat much quicker against a the cut grain. I have overcooked single ribs when browned well and ovened for only 15 mins but this was after slowly frying in butter. That's why a probe is so important. Too many variables. Either way the saving grace is that forerib is not ruined if it is cooked to medium doneness.

Back
Top Bottom