******* Official Football Manager 2015 Thread *******

Soldato
Patch 15.2.0 out.

Update 15.2.0 is now available for Football Manager 2015 via Steam.

To download the update, simply save your current game, quit FM, then quit and restart Steam. Then launch the game as normal and this should start your update automatically. As always the update is save game compatible but for any competition issues, you'd have to start a new game for them to take effect.

Also available as what you could call an early Christmas present, are two new skins - one for Football Manager and one for Football Manager Classic. They are available via the following Workshop links:

Football Manager Skin - http://ftbl.ma/FM15altskin

Football Manager Classic Skin - http://ftbl.ma/FMC15darkskin

The update includes but is not limited to fixes for the following issues:

STABILITY & PERFORMANCE

- Fixed rare crash when continuing edited save game
- Fixed rare crash during processing
- Fixed rare crash when reading inbox news item

MATCH ENGINE

- Improved marking at lower levels
- Fine-tuned keeper positioning when an attacker is in a shooting position
- Improved use of passes for players to run onto
- Fixed some instances of poor goalkeeper reaction times
- Fixed goalkeepers not getting back to their own goal quick enough after passing outside their area
- Tweaked goalkeepers ability to turn shots behind rather than back into play
- Improved movement of attackers from crossed free kicks

COMPETITIONS

- Fixed players staying on international duty for too long
- Fixed Mexican Cup Opening Stage win counting as two cup wins
- Adjusted fixture scheduling when using the 'Use Saturday and Wednesday Matchdays' Preference
- Fixed issue where the User would not be asked to set the length of pre-season training
- Improved selection of teams promoted to Italian Serie C
- Updated registration rules for the Asian Confederation Cup
- Updated disciplinary rules for the Brazilian State Championships

TRANSFERS & CONTRACTS

- Increased number of transfers from abroad for some nations in Eastern Europe
- Fixed issue where the user was forced to offer a new contract when purchasing a percentage of an agent owned player already at their club
- Fixed issue where the user could not respond to an agents negotiation for an agent owned player
- Fixed rare issue where a future transfer incorrectly got the transfer date 1/1/1900
- Fixed MLS teams signing too many Goalkeepers
- Improved MLS squad building
- Improved MLS AI decisions in Expansion draft
- Improved MLS AI trade negotiation
- Fixed MLS Re-Entry Draft 2 pick duplication

PLAYER HAPPINESS

- Fixed David Villa and Frank Lampard being unhappy as soon as they join up with NYCFC
- Fixed rare examples of unhappiness chats going straight to blank screens
- Ensured promises made to players when convincing them to join your club are displayed
- Reduced chance of tutoring agreements breaking down leading to disliked person chats
- Ensured promise to ‘Win Silverware’ lasts long enough to be upheld for cup wins
- Fixed club underachieving chats happening to often to individual players

FINANCE

- Fixed wage budget slider being blocked by Premier League FFP rules when adding money into transfer funds
- Fixed inactive clubs being over valued
- Adjusted wages club can offer after promotion

PROGRESSION

- Fixed overuse of ‘Eneko’ and ‘Osia’ as first and second names for Spanish newgens and fixed names in existing saves
- Fixed coaching badges being forgotten whilst being learnt

MEDIA

- Fixed rare problem where inbox news items no longer appeared
- Fixed instances of code in news item
- Fixed rare case of sacking news item not being displayed
- Fixed instances of deadline day repeating
- Fixed instances of subscriptions being reset
- Fixed competition win news item referencing wrong competition
- Fixed news item offering user option to discipline AI player
- Fixed instances of winter break questions being asked incorrectly
- Fixed instances of incorrect news items regarding Nations League

USER INTERFACE

- Can now assign players outside the match squad any starting 11 position or spot on the substitutes bench via their Pkd menu on the Tactics Overview
- Fixed issue where User would be stuck on the MLS Draft Combine screen

EDITOR (STANDALONE)

- Fixed allowing User to choose file save location
- Fixed files can be extracted in to the game from chosen save location
- Fixed various save corruption and ‘disappearing’ fmf file issues
- Fixed nations failing basic rules verification with no edits made
- Further error message improvements
- Fixed Future Fee incorrectly added in to edited loan
- Fixed Kit Selection panel now displaying
- Fixed edited prize money being paid out correctly
- Fixed some registration dates not being extracted correctly
- Fixed some edited competitions not being scheduled correctly
- Fixed Add Language to Local Region

EDITOR (IN-GAME)

- Fixed crash on ‘Trained in Nation’
- Fixed User can now edit Match Fitness and Condition on Player Profile screen
- Fixed editing language proficiency
- Fixed editing International retirement

Associate
Can't get into it this year

Not even buying this version, Giving it a miss for once, Hopefully get the fresh feeling when the next one is out, oh we have Christmas emotes now :p

When are they going to get the finger out and produce a new 'updated' version, rather than building the same old rubbish game to run on a Pentium 4 cpu/mediocre laptop to boost their sales.

FM 09/10 must have been the last version I played, got bored with the game due to training module being rubbish.

Played the demo for an hour and it reminded me why I stopped playing this game.

Soldato
When are they going to get the finger out and produce a new 'updated' version, rather than building the same old rubbish game to run on a Pentium 4 cpu/mediocre laptop to boost their sales.

FM 09/10 must have been the last version I played, got bored with the game due to training module being rubbish.

Played the demo for an hour and it reminded me why I stopped playing this game.

Can I ask SPECIFICALLY what you want to see in newer versions?

Soldato
Patch 15.2.1 out.

Hotfix 15.2.1 is now available for Football Manager 2015 via Steam.

To download the update, simply save your current game, quit FM, then close and restart Steam. Then launch the game as normal and this should start your update automatically. As always the update is save game compatible but for any competition issues, you'd have to start a new game for them to take effect.

The update includes but is not limited to fixes for the following issues:

GRAPHICS
- All custom .fmf files can now be distributed via Steam Workshop
- Fixed 3D kits not displaying in the match viewer

USER INTERFACE

- Fixed various light skin issues in the match screen
- Fixed player duty not being listed on Make Quick Sub dialog
- Fixed rare cases of inbox failing to update properly
- Fixed 'Take Screenshot' shortcut

COMPETITIONS
- Fixed rare instance of Belgian league fixtures not being scheduled
- Fixed rare instance of Copa Libertadores not being scheduled
- Fixed ability to fine players multiple times
- Fixed cases of players not travelling for international games

IN-GAME EDITOR
- Fixed 'Edit Club Contract' check boxes

The match engine is unchanged and still the same version as was included in Update 15.2.0.

15.2.1 game version: PC: 585343; Mac: 585345; Linux: 585347

Associate
Anyone found any good plug and play tactics?
Im experimenting with this:
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...nal-4123-dm-wide-v2-207-goals-30-allowed.html
The 4-1-2-2-1 tactic. Seems solid.

The NXT tactics here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...6-shark]-closer-step-perfection-[15-1-4].html

They're what I've been using (in combination with ChristianEriksen's tactics here:http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...s/179480-christianeriksen-beautiful-play.html) for about 15 seasons.

NXT specifically is unbelievable. Gets me 90-100+ points per season and goal difference is STUPID good. Last season I had 103 G.D, Man Utd in second had 62 G.D. Season before that I had 126 G.D to 64 and was 12 points clear.

I've started using an instant result skin now as my FM interests lie outside of the game engine ironically (part of the reason I use plug and play) so your results may vary but ChristianEriksen's tactics (of which NXT is derived) got me successive promotions from Conference to the Premiership so you can't go wrong really.

If I was to purchase FM15 on my MacBook from a website which provides an activation code for Steam. Would I be able to transfer my saved game over to my PC and continue?

Don't see why not so long as the file type is the same (.fm file)

Can I ask SPECIFICALLY what you want to see in newer versions?

Have you noticed these people never reply? I'd love to see a completely revamped FM but their time scale just doesn't allow for it really. The improvements in FM15 made me enjoy FM again and FM15 has already almost took over FM14 for me in terms of total playtime and it's been out only what, 4 months? The problems with the match engine are quickly being ironed out and this was the same for all FM's really, if you wait a few patches the game is far more playable but it's no Ass Creed Unity, there are no game breaking bugs here and from what I've seen in 180 hours so I honestly think this is by far the best Football Manager yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you noticed these people never reply? I'd love to see a completely revamped FM but their time scale just doesn't allow for it really. The improvements in FM15 made me enjoy FM again and FM15 has already almost took over FM14 for me in terms of total playtime and it's been out only what, 4 months? The problems with the match engine are quickly being ironed out and this was the same for all FM's really, if you wait a few patches the game is far more playable but it's no Ass Creed Unity, there are no game breaking bugs here and from what I've seen in 180 hours so I honestly think this is by far the best Football Manager yet.

There is nothing significant to add tbh. Each year they change some tings (UI, scouting, training etc.) and it nearly always is for the better. I'm not speaking about glitches, I'm speaking about what you wanted added/changed. Small tweaks ain't special.

I'm sure that these people who complain about the game want it to be more fifa-like, have better graphics and give you an 'easier' UI (which is not possible due to the 100s of settings FM has). Unfortunately, this is FM.

Associate
I'm into my 4th season with Hayes & Yeading, it's the last game of the season and we are 2nd in the Conference Premier and who else are we playing but Wrexham who are top and we are only 4 points behind!

I ended up making a video of the highlights for the blog I've been writing which i'll be doing for my run with them. Quite a few of the new features are mentioned if you are interested.

Soldato
Being honest I haven't played an FM in years and looking at it on my mates pc I was a bit daunted by how complex it now looks :p

Are there some standard training/tactics that will pretty much guarantee you will do well enough or just some basic things you should be doing that will put you on the right track?

I'm tempted to pick this up (thanks for the info you gave me last time Shami) but not sure I should bother as if it's too complicate I will em up not bothering.

Soldato
Being honest I haven't played an FM in years and looking at it on my mates pc I was a bit daunted by how complex it now looks :p

Are there some standard training/tactics that will pretty much guarantee you will do well enough or just some basic things you should be doing that will put you on the right track?

I'm tempted to pick this up (thanks for the info you gave me last time Shami) but not sure I should bother as if it's too complicate I will em up not bothering.

Training is really simple. I have one basic principle - use fitness training (very high) throughout preseason (until the last couple of friendlies perhaps), then move it to more technical training for months at a time. Perhaps tactical until the new year, then ball control until the season end. Next year do the others, attacking and defending. Using very high fitness training will mean you need 2 players for each position in friendlies, so it depends on who you're managing, though I include reserves or a highly rated youngsters in friendly squads. Sub all players at the 75 minute mark (unless injured or dying before that), then in the next friendly completely swap the players around. Repeat until the season starts proper.

Training is split into two though. Training (above) and match preparation. Match preparation is usually the day before a match, and will ensure the team becomes more familiar with your tactics, so its important to use a lot of match preparation in the preseason, more so if you have more than 1 tactic (you can train 3 at once, but of course it will take longer to learn all 3 - though if the tactics are a small variation of each other, it will take less time). Again, match preparation is quite easy as it's one of 5 options, and it will pop up in your news feed before each match asking what you want to do.

For individual training you will get suggestions from your coaches in your news feed, so you don't need to micromanage.

You can of course just set your assistant to do training and match preparation, and they seem fairly decent at it now.

Tactics I was struggling with this time around. My most successful was using a sweeper (I'd not used one of those even back in the champ man days!), but ended up using Zero Sea's Athena's 3-4-3 from here, which essentially gives you 2 wide centre backs when you've got the ball, plus a sweeper, which is what I was wanting. It's surprisingly successful for such an attacking formation, though not as good against teams which park the bus (I find there are too many players, yours included, to block shots). It does mean you can accommodate slow strikers or poachers such as Klose. Outright pace up front isn't as essential as it usually is in FM.

His 4-4-1-1 is a more solid tactic too.

It seems this time around the "defensive" mentality in tactics is much more effective, letting you use much more attacking roles in tactics without actually going for broke.

The built-in standard tactics are meant to be OK now, though they're not going to break any points records.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

haha.. Yes it is daunting but persevere as it is well worth it. I wouldn't say there are any sure fire tactics that will get you winning matches. It's a combination of things over a period of time that prolong your career ;) But it really is a huge game and you need patience to enjoy it.

A few tips that I stand by every game:-

Before the season even starts there are a few key things to focus on. Manage your backroom team. Make sure you have the best scout and coaches you can afford. If you can get the board to increase coaches/scouts do so providing you can afford it. Scouting is an absolutely huge part of the game and I can't do it justice explaining it all here. I could write a book on it, so the best thing to do is to practice. Ask questions here.

Make sure you have a coach/assistant with the best judging abilities you can get. This ensures you will have a good indication of just how good or bad your players are. If your coaches have poor abilities in this department then you will only get a percentage of accuracy. This can make a huge difference in game.

Training. If you are a lower league team then let your assistant control all the training but make sure you focus on fitness and attacking movement in season. Prior to the season make sure you have the most fluid tactics you can achieve in the given time (use match tactics etc).

Work with your players. Listen to them. Make sure you get the best out of them. Use a tactic based around their qualities, not the other way round. Pre season setup 3 tactics. Keep the same formation but use one defend, one attack and perhaps the third for your preference. You might want a backup formation here just in case. Its up to you whether you use structured or fluid but it does make a huge difference depending on your players. I start off structured but I use more expression. As my team improves over a few seasons I then adapt to become more fluid. I like creative players but in the lower leagues this can lead to all sorts of random long kicks and mistakes.

I've missed out loads, but that is the basis of what I do before the start of every season. It works for me.

Soldato
Cheers chaps, are transfers different now too?

Scouting is more extensive, giving you vague estimates, while continued scouting gives much more accurate information. So again, your scouting system set up is crucial.

Transfers can be conducted with suggested offers being possible, meaning negotiated offers don't necessarily need to be drawn out over multiple "continue" presses, depending on how close together your valuations are. You can appoint a director of football to oversea negotiations for transfer targets (though I find them of little use much of the time), contract negotiations for existing and current players and find clubs for players you want rid of. They can also find and buy players for you, but you can control whether you get the final say or not. Likewise a chief scout or head of youth development can do so for young, promising players.

The "staff responsibilities" page is a fantastic resource.

Depending on when you last played FM, you can now offer players to clubs to ensure they know players are available, though players on high wages and/or at a high transfer fee will struggle to attract a club. You can do this for players you wish to loan out too.

You can offer to loan a youngster back to a club too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've decided to ease myself back in by managing Gateshead to the Prem :p

Brought in 3 free transfers and a full back from Brighton for 45k and have a decent team. Played 7, w4,d2,l1 and the one I lost I blinking battered them but couldn't score.

Couldn't find a decent tactic so decided to use the ChristianEeiksen one from the FM site, it's mainly tailored for top leagues so at times it's not great but in general tend to control most matches if a little loose at the back at times.

On a side note though I'm beginning to remember why I stopped playing this, it takes over your life :p really got the itch to play all the time now lol.

Back
Top Bottom