Soldato
BMW E46 Sedan (w/o folding seats) 18,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Sedan (w/folding seats) 13,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Wagon (w/folding seats) 14,000 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Coupe (w/folding seats) 12,500 Nm/deg
BMW E46 Convertible 10,500 Nm/deg
Z4Mcoupe = 32,000Nm/deg
Z4Mroady = 14,500Nm/deg

Rigidity not massively worse than a coupe. Lots worse than a 4dr with full rear bulkhead though. I wonder what the figures are for an E36, it's a lot worse than a 46!

Soldato
Z4Mcoupe = 32,000Nm/deg
Z4Mroady = 14,500Nm/deg

Rigidity not massively worse than a coupe. Lots worse than a 4dr with full rear bulkhead though. I wonder what the figures are for an E36, it's a lot worse than a 46!

Wow the 4dr is a lot more ridged.

Yeah the Evo was pretty bad with very noticeable flex, still miss the damn thing though!

Soldato
Z4Mcoupe = 32,000Nm/deg
Z4Mroady = 14,500Nm/deg

Just look at that Z4 M Coupe (and assuming same for non-M coupe also) - more than double that of most of the rest of them other than E46 sedan but still hugely so.

Soldato
It's a small car in terms of wheelbase that crucially was designed as a roadster so it's not really surprising compared to lopping the top off a coupe

An s2000 is about 20k nm/deg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Trying to change the cam position sensor on my e39 530i, simple enough from the guides I've read and YouTube videos I've watched, but, I cant for the life of me get the VANOS solenoid to unscrew (to gain access to the sensor behind) it simply will not budge, I'm debating heating it perhaps as I've started to round it off with my grips / spanner but, wonder if excessive heat will damage the internals of the solenoid....

Thoughts / ideas appreciated!

Man of Honour
Thanks.

Bumpers and skirts package looks to be close to 2k from what I can find :eek: with the wheels I'm not sure it's worth it :(

The bumpers are very cheap on eBay eBay and with a respray will will look new. Then 700 quid gets you the rest of the fitting kit Inc skirts.

Soldato
I've always found it to rarely be worth turning a non M-Sport / S-Line etc.. into one. Fox is forgetting the headlining too, which will make a difference (although not obviously from the exterior), and possibly the steering wheel?

It'll probably cost in the region of £2-3k overall, if your lucky, and will add virtually zero value to the car. Probably best putting the upgrade money towards just buying the M-Sport, which will be worth more, and I suspect will be a bit newer, since the M-Sport isn't a release model, since I guess that is what you are stretching your budget to get into.

Associate
That's what I am looking for now - a F11 530d or 535d MSport auto. Prof Sat nav essential. AUC from BMW as well. 535 a bit out of my £30k budget I think and more to go wrong with twin turbos I'd think.... Getting my own car instead of a company car for first time. It should be self financing pretty much assuming it's reliable.

Man of Honour
haha nah I'm after an F11 sport with adaptive drive however the rarity of it is forcing me to consider an se upgrade.

Nice, so under a g then wheels on top - still debatable. F10 and F11 use the same bumpers, yes?

No the touring has a different rear.

Soldato
2011 Carbon Black, Dakota Black Seats, Pro Nav,loads of gadgets and stuff, I'm not sure what is an option and what's standard such as high beam assist, and adaptive lights. AUC Car. I've added a snapin for my phone, and it will happily stream music via bluetooth, or control my ipod from the armrest.

It's pleasant to drive (I've a long commute 145m each way) happily sat at 60mph the other day with the OBC reporting 50mpg, what I got remains to be seen. It fits the dogs in the back which was another reason for swapping. The autobox, and autohold will hopefully make the m25 journey, as nice as it can ever be.

In terms of ride, I've come from a lower e46, and Z3m Coupe on coilovers so the ride is smoother. It's too not slow, although the wait for acceleration when compared to the m3 does take a little bit of getting used to. I'm currently on run flats, but will switch in time to standard tyres when this have run their normal life.

Soldato
It's someone what compounded by coming from the m3 I feel. If I was the manually change down a gear or 2 I'm sure it could be somewhat negated, but it sort of defies the point in the auto (imo). £24k, so it wasn't cheap, but I should be saving some money driving to work twice a week rather than getting the train. The 3-3.5 hour train journey was getting tiresome. It will also be cheaper to run, and easier to drive than the m3.

Should I consider a tuning box, or just leave it as is? I know they promise more power, better mpg etc, but do they actually deliver?

I test drove a 530d F61, and the F11 does seem somewhat better, just all around nicer :)

Back
Top Bottom