Your Team - The Half Way Point - How they doing - Discuss

Associate
^^ Jamie Masson has been decent on loan to us for the first half of the season. Shame Aberdeen didn't let us use him in the cup till you got punted out by Dundee :p Not sure if he's staying on or returning in January though.

Thought Jamie may turn out well when he first broke into the team, but I think it's possibly too late for him. He's out of contract in the summer, so I think you may have a chance to take him permanently!

Soldato
OP
Team - Aberdeen

In a word; superb. Two points behind Celtic at New Year is practically unheard of. Most fans now think we can push Celtic all the way, and with good reason. We've taken 4 more points off the other ten clubs than they have, and have been seriously unlucky (read cheated) in both matches against them thus far. Added to that, we've managed to get most off our best players signed up at least until 2017, which should hopefully help prevent the historic old firm tactic of putting in derisory offers for the best players in their closest rivals in order to unsettle them.

Great news off the park also, with the announcement that the club has managed to write off our £15m debt. Next up is the delivery of a world class training facility.

So much for the 'armageddon' predicted following the extinction of Rangers! The only clubs negatively affected are Celtic and the new club.

The Gaffer - Absolute legend. Has helped to revolutionise the way the club works on and off the park. His signings in the main have been excellent, but any turkeys have been quickly discarded. He's instilled a fierce competitiveness in the squad, and most importantly, managed to get the players to buy into the future of the club.

Most Improved Player - They've all been great, but Ash Taylor had a rough start, and has quickly become the dominant aerial presence at the back we were hoping for.

The Christmas Turkey - Robson. Brilliant in his day, but the legs have gone.

End of Season Predictions - Minimum: Second place and retain the league cup. Dreaming: Win the league

What has happened at Aberdeen recently. I am sure I read somewhere that they are now effectively debt free ?

Underboss
Team - Arsenal, the FA Cup win helped us greatly but sadly we all expected to be challenging for the top league spot, injuries have hampered out progress to this feat.

The Gaffer - A lot fans are divided on this at present. Arsene did wonders for us in the 90's early 00's but that trophy drought and some very questionable purchases coupled with losing some key players during our stadium move haven't helped. I support him but think it is time we looked for someone new. This will be difficult as ManU have found out but think his time is up.

Most Improved Player - Hmm difficult so say for me, Sanchez has been amazing for us, took to the games speed and physicality well and has put in some stunning performances. For me however this goes to Flamini, took him on last season and his move was downplayed and overshadowed by Ozils arrival. He has had his dodgy moments due in the main has looked solid at the back and works his arse off for the team.

The Christmas Turkey - Monreal. Not worthy of a LB position is L2 let along a LB/CB role in the Prem. Close second is Shez, he has some very good traits but still makes schoolboy errors.

End of Season Predictions -

Chelsea
Citeh
ManU
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spuds.

Relegated - Palace
Most Surprised by - Southampton and West Ham.

Associate
What has happened at Aberdeen recently. I am sure I read somewhere that they are now effectively debt free ?

In the early nineties, we overspent on players and the new stand in a vain attempt to keep up with Rangers who we now find out were financially doping their way to countless trophies. So we cut our cloth and endured some hard times, and ridicule. We were still being held back by having to service the debt. Thankfully, a couple who run a successful local business decided to invest in the club. So they agreed a deal with the bank to write off the £10m, while the remaining debt owed to the board was wiped out voluntarily.

We now have no debt and will turn a profit given we no longer have interest payments. Should also free up some more wage budget, though we still won't be paying transfer fees.

Soldato
OP
In the early nineties, we overspent on players and the new stand in a vain attempt to keep up with Rangers who we now find out were financially doping their way to countless trophies. So we cut our cloth and endured some hard times, and ridicule. We were still being held back by having to service the debt. Thankfully, a couple who run a successful local business decided to invest in the club. So they agreed a deal with the bank to write off the £10m, while the remaining debt owed to the board was wiped out voluntarily.

We now have no debt and will turn a profit given we no longer have interest payments. Should also free up some more wage budget, though we still won't be paying transfer fees.

Excellent news that. It's great when you see teams competing. I beleive Stoke did something similar and they are the only team in the Premiership who do not have debt

Associate
Excellent news that. It's great when you see teams competing. I beleive Stoke did something similar and they are the only team in the Premiership who do not have debt

It's an exciting time to be a Dons fan for sure! Still a long way to go to present a persistent challenge to Celtic. With any luck an EPL team buy van Dijk in January!

Soldato
Villa.

Shocking.

Manager: Needs to go.

Improved: Clark in recent games.

Turkey: The majority of the team.

Position: 14th or so.

Charlie Austin goals: 12
Aston Villa goals: 11

Says it all.

Soldato
Team Manchester United

The club and the team were shocking last season, so this one was always going to be better, especially after the board backed LvG with so much transfer cash (still questions whether they were really willing to do this last summer for Moyes as much as the team needed).

Shocking amount of injuries, and playing in an unfamiliar formation didn't help a lot of the early results (and Carrick missing for the first 2 months was a huge loss) but we are slowly getting there and dominating games in the Utd way which is fantastic to see.

This group of players still need to improve, but its hard to tell exactly how much without knowing and giving our best XI a consistant run of games (which has been impossible with the injuries so far).

Steady progress is a good phrase to use I believe.

The Gaffer The confidence that was so obviously missing last season is back and that's what was needed more than anything else. He is starting to show his humour which means he is feeling more comfortable about the club (something also missing last year). He knows what he wants and how this collection of players can get him there - can he keep them fit and rested enough to get them there? I believe so yes (helped by how weak majority of the other top 6 from last year have been so far no doubt).

Most improved Player This could go to a few players. Carrick - in as much as his personal start of the season has been stellar (which is a massive change from majority of the other years previously). Honestly believe that IF he had been fit from Aug Utd would be in the top 2. Young and De Gea are my other choices both have been magnificent and De Gea especially has made that move to "World Class" without doubt.

The Christmas Turkey Not sure if this is a game or a player. I would say drawing with Villa was more disappointing than some of the losses, because we really should have dis-mantled them completely. Valencia / Fellaini (and yes just because Fellaini has improved on last season, doesn't mean anything because of how bad he was then. Still isn't a Utd player and don't believe he ever will be).

End of Season Predictions

1st Chelsea
2nd City
3rd Utd

with City in the CL I still think we can challenge them for 2nd but it does depend on luck with the injures going forward and perhaps a little strengthening at the back in Jan. It wouldn't be a disaster at all if we fell to fourth, but unless something drastic goes wrong I cant see it being worse than that.

A good run in the FAC would be a bonus (given the disaster that the League cup was) but IF LvG chooses to blood a lot of the youngsters with some senior "mentors" on the bench , so be it.

Associate
Team - Arsenal, in a season where nobody seems exceptional or interested in winning the league, we just are not at the race at all. Yes we have injuries, but either we are a very unlucky club with very unlucky footballers, or we as a club are knackering them.

The Gaffer - I'll second Josh's assessment that a lot fans are divided on this at present. However I fall in the other category and I can't back Arsene, he was great for us, but this season I've finally realised he's lost the plot. How on earth does any club go into a full season with 2 first team CB and no backup. The fact that we've ended up playing right and left backs at CB proves he was wrong to sell off a raft of CBs like Djourou, Vermaelen and Miquel and not get cover. Koscielny is suffering from chronic achilles tendonitis, from being overplayed and not rested, something that the french team picked up yet Arsene was happy to keep playing him ?
And then which other manager would over the years keep selling players to strengthen his rivals and then when one of the best midfielders in the world become available and we have a first choice to sign him, and knowing that Chelsea was after him as well, decides that we don't need and Chelsea can have him and strengthen their pursuit for the title. Yet funnily enough he's had to recall Coquelin from loan and has given Rosicky some games. No offence to either those players, but Cesc should've been signed and forced Ramsey/Wilshere/whoever to lift their game to be selected. The amount of recurrence of injuries to good young footballers is also just not right, something at the club is being done wrong and, like the football signings, I don't this will improve until Wenger leaves and someone with a new approach comes in.
People will say who can do a better job than Wenger? What Koeman has done at Southampton leads to me believe there are great managers out there that can still change and have an impact on teams, he made some great signings such as Mane,Pelle and Tadic. He steadied what everyone thought was going to be a relegation bound boat and steered them very well.

Most Improved Player - Sanchez has done VERY well although not sure one could say he's improved as that implies he was rubbish at some point. Very happy that he has settled in so quickly, without his goals things would've been very bleak. As for a real improved player, I don't think anyone this season has really made great strides forward, I think Ox has benefited from regular game time and I like his direct style but he needs to be much sharper in front of goal.

The Christmas Turkey - Wenger, see my rant under The Gaffer. The players I feel sorry for as they just take their queues from him. Szczesny I feel really sorry for after today, playing behind a make shift defence and defensive midfield for months he's had to learn to do mad stuff to make up for the inexperience and lack of defending in front of him, today he's come off looking like the bad guy.

End of Season Predictions -
Chelsea
City
ManU
Southampton

Caporegime
Don't forget that we pretty much managed to ruin Vermaelen who also picked up a long running achilles problem with Arsenal, which we mistreated for a year, and now the guy can't get fit at any club. I think we basically broke him and whatever caused it appears to now be happening to Kos :(

Absurdly and I called it at the time, going into the busy period of the season we loaned out Coquelin after refusing to play him sometime around mid November. Had we actually played him and Rosicky in sensible games it's highly likely both would be in better form now and we'd have had less injuries to better rested first team players.

Hell in the run up to Ramsey's injury he played 76 mins of one game, the full 90+ in the next 4 games, then was subbed after 45mins in the away leg at Gala where we had effectively no reason to play any first team members. Two of those full 90 min performances Wenger only made two subs in the game, both 1-0 games where the opposition had a single shot on target(southampton/west Brom, both having poor games). Into a busy period and Wenger needlessly played at least two players longer than they needed to by not using all our subs, didn't rotate well AND sent supposedly our best player on a needless away game when he's both injury prone and he was being overplayed.

It's not hindsight when as these things happened I was saying mental to not rest/rotate, anyone except Wenger could see these injuries coming a mile away, Wenger is an oblivious idiot.

I would say get Koeman in for Arsenal next year but he'll unlikely want to leave a club with CL football for one without :p

Team - Arsenal, half way point, rubbish, predictable nonsense. In previous years we've actually played well in most of the games we won but played poorly in the losses, predictably poorly against the big teams and not an awful lot has changed with that in the past 8 years. odd slip up against a bottom team but mostly just pap against top teams with no changes in tactics.

The problem this year is.... we've played abysmally in a huge portion of the games we've won even against the worst teams in the league. We've barely beaten anyone top half of the table let alone the top 4-6 teams we usually struggle with. We've had lucky result after lucky result, performance wise we deserve to be sitting 8-9th at best. We've picked up at least 12 points with late fluky goals in games we've played like crap in.

Gaffer - as above, useless, idiotic, hasn't changed anything in years. People make excuses for him, the worst being that we sold players actively due to the stadium move, ALL the big players that left FORCED THEIR WAY OUT and at no stage have we not had a MINIMUM of 40million spare cash in the bank that was available to be spent, not once, the maximum spare cash we've had is around 180mil(this doesn't include the 24mil we also have in spare cash that we are obliged to keep around... it's a condition of the loan basically stipulating we keep enough spare cash to cover an extra year loan + interest payments around). Our cash account has grown from basically 70mil when we moved to 210mil or so last year(pre Ozil buy), not sure what it is end of last season yet(finances usually come out around now for the previous season).

Most improved player - none? No youth players have been given a shot, no existing players have done better than the year before at all, only Sanchez really has performed well at all but he hasn't improved.

Worst player - how do you narrow it down, idiotic manager, awful Cazorla, at least he tries and isn't a lazy **** like Ozil who was both awful and lazy and didn't seem to remotely give a damn how bad he was, telling everyone he was a world cup winner and didn't need to improve at all. Though in overall effectiveness and end product I don't think any player has actually dropped as far as Ramsey has. Ozil only genuinely effected a very small number of games last year, a few assists against Norwich and some goals usually against a weak team but anonymous for half the season. Ramsey when he was fit last year was incredibly effective, this year he's had a few good games but many very poor ones.

Prediction for end of year.

Chelsea
City
Utd
Southampton
Spurs
Arsenal
West Ham
Liverpool.
... crap teams :p

If Chelsea get a semi serious injury to Fabregas, Matic or Terry then I think City will probably beat them to the title.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Team Man utd. Playing worse than the sum of the parts in everyway. Injuries haven't helped but for many games we havelooked seriously bad despite grabbing some (worsening) results of late.

The Gaffer. LVG clearly has more control than Moyes did. However, can he persist with this absurd 5 at the back formation. Yes we have injuries, has LVG been in part responsible for some of them? We havemorepoints than last season but we have also spent a.lot of money.

Most improved player: tough to say, many have gone backwards. There's been surprises from Blackett etc but we can't compare easily to last year.

Xmas turkey: So many to choose from. Falcao, janujaz, all of our defenders,

Prediction: Third/fourth.

Associate
In a word; superb. Two points behind Celtic at New Year is practically unheard of. Most fans now think we can push Celtic all the way, and with good reason. We've taken 4 more points off the other ten clubs than they have, and have been seriously unlucky (read cheated) in both matches against them thus far.

Cheated in what way? We scored against you with 10 men in injury time and Brown barely touched McGinn to get sent off.

You won't push us all the way, we'll win the league by at least 10 points.

And the Logan situation, no proof at all so just ban him anyway. Great decision.:rolleyes:

Team: Celtic

Same old story, no real competition although teams are now at least having a go.

The Gaffer
Ronny Deila, unheard of and not really doing anything special. Should never have been knocked out of the CL twice but we did. Still have a chance of winning 4 cups but only 3 cups are realistic targets.

Most improved Player
Virgil van Dijk, strolls the league and will move to England either in this window or in summer. Craig Gordon has done well also and saved us in Europe on numerous occasions.

The Christmas Turkey
Scepovic because he's done nothing basically.

End of Season Predictions
I'd be happy with winning the league and winning at least one cup. Beating The Rangers will top it off.

Associate
Cheated in what way? We scored against you with 10 men in injury time and Brown barely touched McGinn to get sent off.

You won't push us all the way, we'll win the league by at least 10 points.

And the Logan situation, no proof at all so just ban him anyway. Great decision.:rolleyes:

1. Your first goal, van Dijk barges McGinn in the back, no foul given.

2. Brown was fouling so persistently that he should have been sent off in the first half, not with 20 minutes to go.

3. Both corners that lead directly to your second goal are shown on replays to have been goal kicks.

As for the Tonev situation, he was convicted on balance of probability. Legal professionals That's how these things are done in the SPFL; Celtic agreed to these rules.

Associate
1. Your first goal, van Dijk barges McGinn in the back, no foul given.

2. Brown was fouling so persistently that he should have been sent off in the first half, not with 20 minutes to go.

3. Both corners that lead directly to your second goal are shown on replays to have been goal kicks.

As for the Tonev situation, he was convicted on balance of probability. Legal professionals That's how these things are done in the SPFL; Celtic agreed to these rules.

1. Never noticed and McGinn is hardly difficult to move out the way. Wasn't brought up after the game.

2. He wasn't doing anything worse than any Aberdeen player.

3. Our winning goal wasn't a corner but you win some and you lose some. Can't remember the other one.

If that went to court, it'd be laughed out as there is absolutely no evidence.

Anyway, hopefully we strengthen this month and beat Aberdeen again without 'cheating'.

Associate
1. Never noticed and McGinn is hardly difficult to move out the way. Wasn't brought up after the game.

Brought up by whom? The Sportscene pundits...? I can provide a link.

2. He wasn't doing anything worse than any Aberdeen player.

Absolute nonsense. Brown's a bigger thug than Paton, Goodwin and Lasley combined.

3. Our winning goal wasn't a corner but you win some and you lose some. Can't remember the other one.

It was directly from the second of two corners. Neither of which should have been a corner.

If that went to court, it'd be laughed out as there is absolutely no evidence.

But it's not a court, it's an SPFL tribunal; the rules of which were agreed upon by your club. Rules to which your club is now complaining about because it hasn't fallen in your favour. A stance commonly referred to as 'Celtic style'.

Anyway, hopefully we strengthen this month and beat Aberdeen again without 'cheating'.

With any luck Ambrose will be a first choice defender for the next couple of years... :D

Associate
Brought up by whom? The Sportscene pundits...? I can provide a link.

Absolute nonsense. Brown's a bigger thug than Paton, Goodwin and Lasley combined.

It was directly from the second of two corners. Neither of which should have been a corner.

But it's not a court, it's an SPFL tribunal; the rules of which were agreed upon by your club. Rules to which your club is now complaining about because it hasn't fallen in your favour. A stance commonly referred to as 'Celtic style'.

With any luck Ambrose will be a first choice defender for the next couple of years... :D
I watched it on Sky and I can't remember it being brought up by them.

I just checked the stats, there's no Celtic player in the top 20 of the yellow card count. There is one Aberdeen player.

As I said, you win some you lose some.

Celtic style? Same old Celtic, always winning? ;)

If Virgil goes, I'd play Denayer and Mulgrew if they manage to get themselves fit.

Associate
I watched it on Sky and I can't remember it being brought up by them.

I just checked the stats, there's no Celtic player in the top 20 of the yellow card count. There is one Aberdeen player.

I'll give you one guess why that is! ;)

If Virgil goes, I'd play Denayer and Mulgrew if they manage to get themselves fit.

You'd still be significantly weaker at the back. Van Dijk's the best player in the league by a country mile, and you'd be doing very well to replace him for half the money you'll get.

Thankfully you won't get Reynolds! ;)

Back
Top Bottom