The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Soldato
I would check to ensure the TV would do 4K/60Hz 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.0. Also if you plan to game I would forget about it entirely, TVs will have nowhere near the low input lag a dedicated monitor will. In fact reviews of the TV you mentioned show an input lag of 62ms.

If you game, then wait.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Panasonic does do do 4:4:4 chroma @ 60hz as I was thinking about getting one...but as yeah it has 3x the input lag :/

Good to know about the 4:4:4 @ 60Hz support, so if I wasn't into gaming this would be a good choice... but I am so :p to it.

Associate
I must be missing something as I can't get 3440 x 1440 to scale properly, everything looks squashed up in games. I've set the custom res in Nvidia control panel, what am I doing wrong? (tried the monitor to 1:1 and widescreen settings but still no change).

Soldato
I must be missing something as I can't get 3440 x 1440 to scale properly, everything looks squashed up in games. I've set the custom res in Nvidia control panel, what am I doing wrong? (tried the monitor to 1:1 and widescreen settings but still no change).

The monitor must remain on the "widescreen" setting, adn then in nvidia control panel, under "Adjust desktop size and position", select "aspect ratio" and then "perform scaling on" to GPU.

I also have the override scaling mode set by games and programs enabled.

Edit:
And yeah, as stud says, go for 3840 x 1634 as that will be the correct ratio for 1:1 pixel mapping on this screen for 21:9

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone plugged a ps4, ps3 or xbox one etc on it? I assume that they would run in their respective resolutions (1080p, 900p, 720p etc) and do they look bad? I know my pc wont be able to game on 4k so i might be doing 1080p gaming on it till i upgrade the next time nvidia makes something good (currently on a single 680gtx)

Associate
Pitty there is no competition but i expect more to come out now. I really like this aspect ratio.

What does the PWM do in this monitor someone mentioned in another forum there is an issue with it. Is that a noticeable issue? I will try to find the link might be from a review i read somewhere.

Associate
PWM as far as i read is used when you turn the brightness down below 100% the screen then strobes the backlight at 240hz to give the required dimming/brightness some people seem to be affected by it experiencing headaches etc....

some people say this monitor is very bright at 100% and needs turning down so PWM may be an issue for some.

Soldato
Baddass, did you ever get a chance to look at the issue I detailed here?

No worries if not. Was only trying to gauge if this was an issue with all of them or some.

Also, was playing around with scaling and the 1:1 setting. Seems like it is a bit odd in this regard. Set at 1:1 when source is 1080p, it displays as you would expect with a small 1080p screen in middle.

It looks like anything higher, it sometimes ignores the 1:1. For example, 2560x1440 /3840x1634 it scales to full screen, but only sometimes... in Dragon Age Inquisition, it did the stretching/scaling thing, but in Elite Dangerous, it displayed fine in widescreen.

Wondering if this is a screen thing, game thing, or nvidia thing... Don't really have time to test a great many more things. Maybe will do a quickie in Alien Isolation later.

Associate
Tried PS3 and it looked fine.

Probably not as good as native 1080p, but not bad by any means.

Prolly no difference really, except on the XMB which is output native 1080p. Apart from that there's only about 4 games in the whole library that are native 1080p and all of them are simple games released early on.
Although there would be 2 lots of scaling going on as opposed to 1, it's by the by at that point.

Just tried out xbox 360 looks fantastic to be fair.

Associate
Prolly no difference really, except on the XMB which is output native 1080p. Apart from that there's only about 4 games in the whole library that are native 1080p and all of them are simple games released early on.
Although there would be 2 lots of scaling going on as opposed to 1, it's by the by at that point.

Just tried out xbox 360 looks fantastic to be fair.

I am glad that is the case. I intend to plug the ps4 there at some point and i dont want to feel that the games look rubbish compared to my plasma 1080 downstairs

Thank you for this it gave a nice explanation on the PWM, i knew only the theoretical side of it from UNI

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom