Credit Card Company trying it on?

Soldato
I paid a credit card bill at 7:25 pm on the 5th of December with the amount being due on the 6th. Faster payment states it takes two hours so the amount due for payment would have reached them in plenty of time before the 6th December. Credit card company sends me next months due amount with a late payment default fee of £12.00 stating an arrival date of the 6th of December (which was the date on which it was due). No where on that statement does it specify a time either. Has anybody else encountered this?

Associate
A while back, I had this with one of the card companies - checked online for the amount to pay to find that a late payment fee had already been applied, in the afternoon on the due date. It was subsequently credited later that day once the payment had been received.

Had an argument with American Express when faster payments were new as the payment was made the day before due date, and according to my bank would be received by the next working day, but Amex tried to claim that it was 3 days after they received it that it would be credited to the account - yet they refunded their late payment charge, and it's never been a problem since.

Associate
My understanding is that credit card companies have to show cash payments by close of the following working day after payment is made. Unfortunately because you paid on a Friday this would have been the Monday (8th) so would technically be late.

Soldato
OP
My understanding is that credit card companies have to show cash payments by close of the following working day after payment is made. Unfortunately because you paid on a Friday this would have been the Monday (8th) so would technically be late.

I really need to seek clarification with them over this then as it sort of renders the function of making a faster payment (in some respects) useless? Furthermore, what is the point in them specifying a due date if it's going to be ignored (by them)?

Last edited:
Soldato
I set up a direct debit for my CC, it went out one month, but not the next. I got charged :( I should have checked, but one would assume..!

Seems a bit unfair in your situation though.

Soldato
I've always known for card payments to take 3/4 days.

I don't think the credit cards work the same way as just paying into someone elses bank account.

Payment Services Regulations require that most payments (including paying your credit card) are completed on or before the next business day. The three day allowance expired on 1st Jan 2012.

Permabanned
Maybe call them and say the payment on my status shows as the date due why are you charging me £12 if they refuse raise a complaint then take it to the FOS which will cost them loads more than £12 I think it's like £450 if a complaint is referred to FOS

Commissario
My M&S card payments take at least 2 days to clear, and my Sainsburys one was the same too I think.
Set up a direct debit for minimum payment to cover your back!

Soldato
Paying by faster payments is not an automated process. The funds are sent to a holding account and you put the card number as a reference. It will be in your terms and conditions that it can take up to x amount of working days.

Just set up a direct debit to pay the minimum each month to avoid it happening again and pay any excess you want to by faster payments.

Man of Honour
As far as I understand, go faster payments are usually guaranteed for next day (even if they are usually faster than that).

As Jester said, if it was received on the due date you should be able to make them reverse it.

Soldato
I am watching my Santander 123 card statement closely this next month as every month I pay off the balance of the previous month and the DD is against my Santander 123 Current account. What frustrates me is that payment was due on the 2nd and they debited my current account on the 2nd but didn't apply the payment to my credit card balance until yesterday. I needed to buy diesel on the 2nd which would 'technically' have taken me over the limit as they hadn't applied the payment.

There will be hell to pay if they try to charge me.

Soldato
I have paid on the last due date often without incurring penalties. Also when I was late once I got a phone call from the company not to tick me off but to see if I had any difficulties. I apologised for my mistake in late payment and again incurred no penalty.

Soldato
Of it said payment came through on your due date then yes they are trying it on, get it refunded.If its the first time you've missed it you'll probably have no problems getting it back, just don't go in all guns blazing and annoy the person at the other end of the phone.

Back
Top Bottom