Rome

Associate
Going there in the summer, before heading off to a holiday villa.

How many days for two adults to take a tour of the main attractions would you suggest?

Soldato
4 days if you spend a day in Vatican City and go to the Catacombs on the other side of he city (St. Callixtus).
Everything's in walking distance pretty much (apart from Catacombs), it's nice to walk around and pop into places and see the city outside of the main attractions.

Man of Honour
3 full days. One for vatican + relax time, one for ancient rome + relax time and one for faffing and seeing everything else.

You could do it in less, but it wouldn't be leisurely.

Soldato
When me and the wife went there we went for 4 days and it was enough. We did everything we wanted (Vatican, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Forum, random churches and other random attractions) and walked everywhere. Oh and we got engaged there, so points for me! :p

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187791-d232882-Reviews-Hotel_Columbia-Rome_Lazio.html

Quick edit to add where we stayed. Good location and not bad price. Honestly, the rooms are basic but comfy. Food and staff were great.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got back from there for the second time. Must do's are the Vatican including the museum and Sistine Chapel (try and book a tour or at least get your tickets online to avoid the queue). If you want to go to St Peters Basilica then go early, around 8am or earlier before the queues build up. Also the Colosseum, the Forum, Trevi Fountain (currently closed for refurbishment) and the Pantheon. Everything else is a nice to do in my opinion.
It's very difficult to eat badly in Rome, but if you want to eat cheap then just buy some pizza from one of the many shops and go sit on a bench or park. I went to a couple of great restaurants; one that I'd highly recommend is Life Restaurant.
Use the underground/metro, it's cheap and easy and can save your tired feet at the end of long day.

Soldato
I'd say 3 or 4 days. Personally the Vatican was missable for me but one of those things you would want to "tick off". The day trip to Pompeii was amazing.

Soldato
Three days should be enough. Personally, I loved the city of Rome but I really didn't like the population of Rome. I came across even more rude, arrogant people there than in any other city I have ever visited. I was there as a parent helper on a school trip 10 years ago and the kids were targetted by robbers every single day. I won't bother going back again.

Pompei and Vesuvius are wonderul though.

Soldato
I'd say 3 or 4 days. Personally the Vatican was missable for me but one of those things you would want to "tick off". The day trip to Pompeii was amazing.

Couldn't disgree more. Some of the relics/treasures they have in the museum from ancient Rome are incredible; as well and taking in the awe of the Sistine Chapel and St Peters Basilica.

Soldato
I'd highly recommend 4 days. My wife and I went last December for that long and even that felt rushed. We "ticked" off all the major sites including a second visit to the Vatican for Sunday prayers. Lol. I'd highly recommend staying in the old town area (around the Pantheon). Most tourist destinations are walking distance and for the Colosseum for example it's got plenty of bus stops.

Back
Top Bottom