Storm Chasing?

Soldato
It's a week with mates getting drunk in dive bars or watching twisters.

That's a perfect summary. Didn't realise you could do a week. You will need to bite your lip with the locals though.

If you do go sir, would appreciate hearing about it. Bucket list you see.

In all seriousness I would garuantee you would see some spectacular cells if not an actual twister. The size of those things over that flat land is quite spectacular.

Associate
I've been twice and it was great. Didnt see any twisters on the first outing but even the storms were still amazing and much better than tiny British storms.

I went with weather holidays . com they are all really friendly and knowledgeable. They use multiple 5seater suvs so that you can actually get out of the car to experience it easily and more often (time is short when it's dangerous to get out for that quick photo! Even more important when the golf ball sized hail starts!!!) Even on days where the weather is quiet they are a good laugh going to bars/meals/bowling etc in the evening if available.

They will also chase after pretty much any storm whereas some companies will only bother if there is a high chance of a tornado. The only thing I was worried about before going is that you stay in motels everywhere but they were all clean and to be honest if the weather is good (bad for everyone else) then you will literally fall asleep as soon as you get in at night.

Soldato
I don't like the idea of 15 seater tour buses. Too 'touristy' for me. Would much prefer to go in one of them purpose built tornado proof vans loaded with technology that some use.

I looked into this - one of the ones where you're in an armoured vehicle... I think the cost of the holiday was about 4 grand plus flights though. Not sure I can justify that when I have other stuff to pay for...

Soldato
I was in Spain at the top of a mountain a few months ago watching a massive Cu-Nimb form. The feeling of awe you get witnessing the pure power of mother nature is something that's hard to describe. I can imagine this sort of holiday would be an experience of a lifetime so the cost like Housey says is relative, it's just whether you can justify it (and accept the risk that it may be a bit pants given how the weather is pretty unpredictable).

Soldato
I've been really tempted to do one of these. Always loved a good storm and we really don't get enough down here.

I was looking at booking up Extreme Tornado Tours - its run by one of the guys that used to be on the Storm Chasers show.

I never actually got around to booking one though, so no real world experience to speak of.

Back
Top Bottom