£2.2k to spend on a TV

Associate
Been looking at various 4K TV's now for a while, been to a few shops but still cannot really decide on what one to buy.

The two that have caught my eye are the LG 55" UB850 and the Sony Bravia 65 X8505 (and yes, I am aware there is a £1,000 difference in price). I'm looking for anything between 55" and 65" with passive 3D (full 1080p resolution please, as I know a lot of sets only display 540p per eye). In the shop, the Sony Bravia 55" looked stunning, but in order to achieve 1080p 3D I'd need to buy the 65" version.

WebOS on the LG appeals to me, but I seem to think the picture quality on the Sony Bravia is far superior.

Such a tough decision. Can anyone help?

Permabanned
Forget 4k IMO. For around £2k you can get a 55" LG OLED which will have far superior picture quality to either of those 4k sets.

LG 55EC930V.

Associate
OP
Forget 4k IMO. For around £2k you can get a 55" LG OLED which will have far superior picture quality to either of those 4k sets.

LG 55EC930V.

What makes you opt for OLED over 4K?

I haven't really seen OLED picture quality so can't really comment. 4K looks stunning though and I'm trying to be futureproof as I'll keep the TV for 6+ years.

Associate
OLED is the best picture you can get by a long way, perfect blacks and motion clarity. 4K there is no content and the difference is practically none existent at a normal viewing distance even when there is content

Associate
OP
There isn't enough 4K content to justify buying a 4K TV, you will appreciate an OLED TV a lot more.

OLED is the best picture you can get by a long way, perfect blacks and motion clarity. 4K there is no content and the difference is practically none existent at a normal viewing distance even when there is content

Oh I see, thanks. So when are we likely to see 4K content? Guess it's just a marketing gimmick then.

Would it be worth waiting for OLED 4K? Or would that just be way too expensive?

Let me rephrase my original question then... What is the best OLED between 55"-65" with best passive 3D support in your opinion for my price range? :p

P.S I'd be wall mounting so a curved TV may not be the best option.

Soldato
Oh I see, thanks. So when are we likely to see 4K content? Guess it's just a marketing gimmick then.

Would it be worth waiting for OLED 4K? Or would that just be way too expensive?

Let me rephrase my original question then... What is the best OLED between 55"-65" with best passive 3D support in your opinion for my price range? :p

P.S I'd be wall mounting so a curved TV may not be the best option.

There is some 4K content available, Netflix now stream certain shows in 4K.

I just googled OLED 4K and the cheapest came in at £19k :p

There are only a handful of OLED TV's which are under £2500 so i would pick which best suits your needs. :)

This has everything you need. :)

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...hQCQ&ei=t0itVMCXG4jtatGWgLAM&ved=0CKMBEKYrMAA

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The 4K being streamed by Netflix is just upscaled isn't it? And it's a couple of shows no one watches. Hell, even Sky don't broadcast full 1080p at high quality, there's no hope for 4k. I just put Batman Begins on Sky and even my 10GB 1080p rig played via XBMC looks miles better.

BTW the LG 55EC930V OLED screen is not 1080p at 3D. Also, I paid £1899 for it on Boxing day but still waiting on delivery. So there are deals to be had.

Associate
OP
The 4K being streamed by Netflix is just upscaled isn't it? And it's a couple of shows no one watches. Hell, even Sky don't broadcast full 1080p at high quality, there's no hope for 4k. I just put Batman Begins on Sky and even my 10GB 1080p rig played via XBMC looks miles better.

BTW the LG 55EC930V OLED screen is not 1080p at 3D. Also, I paid £1899 for it on Boxing day but still waiting on delivery. So there are deals to be had.

Very tempted - just wish I could find it at that price!

Shame they're curved too :(

EDIT: They're back up to £2.5k now... shocking.

Last edited:
Associate

Nah, breaking bad looks stunning in 4k. You can clearly see the extra resolution, yes it's compressed and 4k blu-ray will be miles better but it's clearly not upscaled. I saw one episode of House of cards though and it didn't look great though. Also I have pretty basic sky broadband and it works perfectly.

Also with regard to there being no 4k content, there's loads..... if you're a PC gamer!

Associate
OP
You people really aren't making this decision very easy!

I'm only upgrading because my PS4 doesn't seem to work with my Panasonic 42PX80B. Keeps flicking between 1080p and 16:9 to a point where I end up with a black screen... Slightly off topic but it's a PITA.

Associate
£2.5k on a TV - it will be a piece of junk a few years :)

Maybe I'm tight (ok, yes I am) but unless you have money to burn it really isn't worth adopting new technology before it becomes slightly cheaper - in about 18 months for example.

Having said that, what makes you happy makes you happy and if you earn it, you can spend it how you like!

Soldato
You people really aren't making this decision very easy!

I'm only upgrading because my PS4 doesn't seem to work with my Panasonic 42PX80B. Keeps flicking between 1080p and 16:9 to a point where I end up with a black screen... Slightly off topic but it's a PITA.

ah that's annoying, I've got the 1080p version of your tv with no issues. but ti does go a bit crazy if there's any strobing on screen.

the lg oled look really nice but have a lot of input lag for gaming. The nice thing about the Panasonic AX802b is it keeps a full 1080p on fast pans so does benefit 1080p signals still.

Soldato
There isn't enough 4K content to justify buying a 4K TV, you will appreciate an OLED TV a lot more.

Even if there was more 4K content I'd still choose a 1080p OLED over it. I never look at my TV (46F8000) and think it needs more pixels. What it does need is better black/dark screen quality and contrast. And generally even better colour depth, motion handling and viewing angles.

4K is so overrated it hurts. Not on the same scale of the crapness of 3D though.

Nah, breaking bad looks stunning in 4k. You can clearly see the extra resolution

Are you comparing this to BB on Nexflix 1080p or BB on Bluray?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Panasonic VT55 and it's wonderful. I wish I'd bought the 65" model. If you want a great HD TV now forget 4K and find yourself a Panasonic plasma.

Back
Top Bottom