Ultimate Team Challenge 2015

Associate
Idea number 2, let the server dish out 3 or 4 of each wu then only the first 2 need to be verified and the other 1 or 2 get server aborted, this will keep everybodys stash of wu`s low, No bunkering.

Im not going to use my Note3 this time lol

I'm not a fan of this idea as resources such as bandwidth gets wasted. Some networks can't be left active at all times and so limited times for activity is used. I know that one of my teams big hitters had connection reliability issues and there is a bug in BOINC that will error out all work units when the connection goes south. It has been there for years and nothing has really been done to fix it. So, to guarantee enough work between outtages requires a cache.

And to be clear, when you are caching up enough work with several 4P rigs that have 60+ cores/threads in them, it can take a lot of work to restock small caches often. Large caches means not spending several hours every day stocking up...

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Once a challenge is live, there is nothing wrong with holding a stock of WUs, provided you don't hold so many that you don't return them before the challenge ends. Indeed, during the last challenge I did build up a big stash especially for the 4P rig, when I saw there was a lengthy queue of units awaiting validation, in the hope that by having WUs that had earlier dates, but which I would return within time, there were better chances of a match up. That wouldn't have impacted the project scoring, indeed it improved co-crunchers chances of getting a score during the challenge timescale.

All that is needed is to see that people don't download and stock up before a challenge starts. But you are never going to regulate that unless the project and boinc system is going to adapt their software.

Associate
OP
It seemed like in the last couple of days of the comp any wu`s we did may not of even been counted unless they got validated. But thats down to the server not giving out new on the last day i expect, think i had about 200 still needing validation at the end (running at 406 waiting for validation now, prob those were people have stopped doing it and just changed over) gota wait the whole 7 days before they get given out again, this is a major pain.

Associate
Re: ELIMINATE BUNKERING FROM CHALLENGES

Unread postby eckley » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:07 am
So far our servers have coped without issues when teams have taken advantage of bunkering, thanks the the magic of AWS. So from a purely hardware point of view we have no issue with bunkering. However, the real question here is how bunkering fits into the idea of a challenge. A challenge really stats who can do the most work in a set amount of time, and bunkering allows some users to extend that time giving themselves an unfair advantage, although is it really unfair if everyone can do??

If I can figure out how to do it, I'd like to provide the option when creating a challenge to allow or disallow challenges that way we can have the best of both worlds. Credit is awarded after a work unit is validated and unless I get the time to construct an alternative credit system I can't see an easy way around the issue.. Anyone out there of a bright idea?

Alex

http://forums.theskynet.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2914&sid=8ca493683484dea092ecffabbd2bf83a

MGP

MGP

Soldato
MGP - its time you got the big gun out and slow P3D down abit lol

Isn't going to happen. This is the last month of folding's BigADV units, so it's the last chance saloon for the 4P rig. After that I will be reviewing my whole ongoing contribution to DC projects and may well become somewhat of a lightweight as the electric alone is becoming a significant headache.

Caporegime
Whats going on, what do I need to do to get going? :p

I can add:

i7 2700K @ 5.0GHz
i3 530 @ 4.4GHz
Xeon X5430 @ 2.66GHz x2
HD7970
GTX760
GTX460

:)

Oh and what is "bunkering"?

I have been folding for team 10 for a good while, but I've never really been in the "community" so I don't understand these terms.

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Bunkering - downloading a lot of Work Units (WU) before a challenge time period has started, crunching them, but delaying the submission of the completed WU until after the challenge start time. A means of improving your score by getting credit for more work than you can actually do in the challenge period.

As for what you can get going the POGS project uses the BOINC platform and is CPU only. Your GPUs won't work for this.

Soldato
Isn't going to happen. This is the last month of folding's BigADV units, so it's the last chance saloon for the 4P rig. After that I will be reviewing my whole ongoing contribution to DC projects and may well become somewhat of a lightweight as the electric alone is becoming a significant headache.

dam , I knew big adv was ending but didn't know it was so soon

Soldato
wow p3d really are pulling away , bet we would need 1000 cpu cores or so to catch up now

does any body know were loudbob vanished to? not just from folding/boinc but the forum, hes not been online for nearly 1 year now

Last edited:
Associate
Oh my, didn't you buy some asus work station motherboard

Yep had it since Oct but never checked the box until last week when I wanted to test it and get it running then found cpu socket 1 damaged, replacement is on its way.
But I'll have to break down Midas to run it so lot of work and I only have another week at home.
My dual 14 core V3's are needing a work out !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom