What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
This happened driving in to work this morning (heard something 'crack' but it was too dark and wet to see). Only noticed it when I went to drive home :(
Going to cost £75 for a replacement but at least I'm not going to have to pay the full cost of a heated front screen.
97x9uXZl.jpg.png
IaiCv62l.jpg
JNLxIrYl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
That TVR sounds a bit rough. :p

Yeah it's a project car. Before i got it the thing had been sat for 3 years and was then sat for another year and a half before i had the time or space to do anything with it. Pretty much every component of the fuel system has needed replacing and there's still a lot to do within the engine bay (let alone elsewhere).

Still the car has come on leaps and bounds from when we first started it up and once I've sorted the warm up regulator out it should be running pretty smoothly and i'll be able to access all 100db of the stock exhaust system without issue :D

Last edited:
Soldato
MOT'd it, nothing wrong with the exception of a little chunk missing from the wheel rim protector on one of the tyres, its down to about 3mm anyway so will be replacing shortly. Heres hoping to a years hassle free motoring :)

Soldato
Finally got all the bits and fitted a reverse parking camera, my spare Pioneer AVH-X3600DAB head unit and a DAB aerial into the wife's S-Max. Bit of a shame the dash trim is silver and the HU is black but it works nicely.

smaxhu.jpg

Soldato
Finally got all the bits and fitted a reverse parking camera and my spare Pioneer AVH-X3600DAB head unit into the wife's S-Max. Bit of a shame the dash trim is silver and the HU is black but it works nicely.

smaxhu.jpg

That looks really good! Something I'm planning on doing with my Mondeo! What do you think of the head unit? Any good? I'm still trying to find one worth buying!

Soldato
Yeah it's a good head unit and does everything I wanted except for nav.

I ended up buying a Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB in its place for my own car (hence having the 3600 'spare') which is more expensive but has a few features over the X3600DAB like integrated nav, 2 USB ports etc.

If nav isn't important then I definitely recommend the X3600DAB. Otherwise the F960DAB is an awesome bit of kit too. The smartphone link stuff for both is lacking somewhat though but I've never really felt the need to use it since trying it out the first time.

Soldato
Fitted the wipers below today. Mrk advised me they were terrible but I figured mileages may vary and all so gave them a test fit.

Wow. These are literally THE worst wiper blades ever for the E46. One half of the passenger side blade doesn't even touch the screen, and there's a flipping bit lifting up on the drivers side in the middle of the screen that just doesnt even get wiped.

These are getting returned. What a waste of time.

Wipers in question are MTEC Hybrid's:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271210203...2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#rpdCntId

Soldato
I was told that it's really best to replace the slave cylinder every time you have the box off on these, it's a concentric design inside the gearbox bellhousing, so if it fails it's a box off job to replace every time with the resultant high labour costs :(

The problem is apparently when splitting the box from the engine or refitting it, if it gets misaligned or wiggled about too much whilst removing or refitting it pulls against the slave and damages the seals. Some miles later they split and it leaks hydraulic fluid or no longer maintains a sealed system an air gets in... You start off getting a floppy pedal and a clutch that doesn't work, but if you pump it lots you can sometimes get enough pressure back to operate the clutch but it's not fun to drive like this! And sometimes bleeding the system helps it for a while.

Basically though I'd budget for replacing the clutch slave cylinder again when you upgrade the diff, in the scheme of things it's better than possibly having to pay to get the gearbox off yet again if it's damaged when you remove the gearbox for the LSD install.

I speak from experience... Jamsport fitted an itb lsd to my old ST, along with a helix organic clutch (hateful thing by the way, don't get one), I kept the slave cylinder the car went in with and it failed on me shortly after for the reasons mentioned above so I had to have the gearbox off the car again to replace it. The clutch plate was also apparently contaminated by the fluid that leaked and seemed to have worn really quick, as when the slave was on its way out the clutch was dragging too so I had to shell out for a new clutch twice plus the associated labour again :(

Funnily enough the guy doing the work said something similar, fortunately it's not really an expensive part (£70-80 roughly).

Get the car back tomorrow morning and can't wait, he's changed the gearbox oil too as it just made sense to do it :)

Soldato
Yeah it's a good head unit and does everything I wanted except for nav.

I ended up buying a Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB in its place for my own car (hence having the 3600 'spare') which is more expensive but has a few features over the X3600DAB like integrated nav, 2 USB ports etc.

If nav isn't important then I definitely recommend the X3600DAB. Otherwise the F960DAB is an awesome bit of kit too. The smartphone link stuff for both is lacking somewhat though but I've never really felt the need to use it since trying it out the first time.

How do you find the square unit over the curved one? Did it bother you there was a bit of a difference and may look out of place or not really?

Soldato
Took the MX5 for a spin to stop the tyres going square. What a faff moving other cars out of the way, removing covers, re fitting batteries, removing moisture traps that I'd dotted everywhere then the same in reverse after. The sooner we move to a house with a usable garage the better!

Soldato
Got my car back with new clutch (Got them to change the gearbox oil too while at it) and it feels fantastic, pedal is noticeably lighter than before and seems to be changing gears a lot smoother :)

Soldato
Bought a Mk4 Mondeo and ordered a new Headunit (Bluetooth/Ipod/SatNav etc), reverse camera, Interior LED kit, servicing parts and 4 new tyres in the correct size (unlike the worn Bridgestones on it now).

Back
Top Bottom