What to do with 1k

Soldato
Noo I don't want to spend it, I was wondering where the best place to put it would be i.e. ISA, savings accounts etc :)

To be honest £1000 won't yield a great deal of interest from any general high street bank accounts, just get whatever savings account your current bank is offering and stash it there as the difference between other banks will only be coppers.

Caporegime
It's not a large amount of money so you won't get a huge return on it. Just shove it in an everyday saver and add to it, or save it for a "rainy day" or just buy something you want with it. :)

Large amounts of money start from small amounts. Much better to put it into a fund and add to it over time than have it languish in a savings account where it will garner pathetically little interest.

There was a recent article from the BBC showing the difference.

Soldato
Wondering what's everyone's thoughts on what best to do with 1k?

Perhaps an ISA, but interest rates are so low. I was considering looking at funding circle (https://www.fundingcircle.com) although I may get more interest there is obviously more risk. Is anyone on here using funding circle? What's your experience with it?

What's your thoughts? Just settle for the 2% I may get in an ISA? I'm trying to save for my first house deposit :D or I could just blow it all on upgrading the PC, it is starting to age ;)

premium bonds

Associate
Peer to peer lending? could get 6%+ there, not that it makes f all difference on a 1,000 capital.

Go blow it on a couple of expensive dinners and have some fun

Soldato
I'd get an ounce of gold and some change to spend, I thought about getting an ounce a week ago and in that time it has gone up by about £25.

Associate
Stocks and shares have large fees.
You could look at getting funds in an ISA. Like shares, it's still risk, unlike just a savings account.

£10 per transaction? At £1000 investment he would need the stock to rise 2% to cover his costs. Not too difficult..

Only use it for stocks if you are interesting in learning how it works and are 100% willing to lose every penny of it. If not, do something else.

Youll never turn £1000 into a lot of money quickly without some luck and if you have any high interest (10%+) loans or credit cards the best thing is to just pay them off.

Otherwise id honest suggest you book a holiday or buy something fun

Back
Top Bottom