Finding places with short trains into London

Associate
Looking for areas to buy a house in and was wondering if there is a website out there where I can put in A FEW destination train/tube stops and a maximum amount of time for the train journey and it return me a list of stops?

...or a similar website that could help me where I don't have to do a search for every train stop?

Associate
OP
Working in the City of London, so stops would be: London Bridge, London Blackfriars, London Cannon Street, Liverpool Street and obviously any tube or train stop that I might have missed in that area too.

Soldato
I guess it depends on how long you are willing to commute. I live near Maidenhead and have about an hours journey into the city. It takes about 25 minutes to get to Ealing and then I get the central line in which takes about 30 minutes. I find this journey a lot more relaxing than going via Paddington where you end up being squashed on a H&C or Circle line train.

I've not been doing it for long but I actually find the commute relaxing, I always get a seat and I can listen to music or radio and read books or watch things on my tablet. It's a nice hour to myself in the morning before I start work. My previous job was only down the road but I found with having two young kids I was never really getting any time to switch off which I now do.

Soldato
Short trains? Try any local First Great Western lines, the 8.29am from Ealing Broadway to Paddington is a particular favourite with a maximum of 3 carriages :rolleyes:

Soldato
You will be able to get from Reading to Liverpool Street in half an hour once Crossrail opens. House prices round here are going up stupidly already as landlords are snapping up anything they can get in preparation.

Soldato
Short trains? Try any local First Great Western lines, the 8.29am from Ealing Broadway to Paddington is a particular favourite with a maximum of 3 carriages :rolleyes:

I find that after Slough is where the local FGW trains get really busy, fortunately I'm always able to get a seat as I get on before there. If you're at Ealing though there is no point going to Paddington to get to the City as the Central line is there and a lot quicker/less crowded and you don't have to change at Paddington.

Soldato
You will be able to get from Reading to Liverpool Street in half an hour once Crossrail opens. House prices round here are going up stupidly already as landlords are snapping up anything they can get in preparation.

You won't - Reading to Liverpool Street will take 61 minutes when Crossrail opens. However I expect house prices to rocket in leafy places like Taplow and Burnham which will be just 45 minutes away from the city.

Caporegime
Was going to say don't forget Moorgate. Waterloo could also be an option as well if you don't mind a short tube ride, but then it puts you into the pricier South West suburbs.

Man of Honour
You will be able to get from Reading to Liverpool Street in half an hour once Crossrail opens.

Errr Reading to Paddington on an HST with a line speed of 125mph and zero intermediate stops is 30 minutes - so there is absolutely no way a slower stopping Crossrail train will get there and then to the other side of London in the same space of time!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27464267 said:
Errr Reading to Paddington on an HST with a line speed of 125mph and zero intermediate stops is 30 minutes - so there is absolutely no way a slower stopping Crossrail train will get there and then to the other side of London in the same space of time!

Yes as I already said the quoted time from Reading to Liverpool Street is 61 minutes which isn't really much different to now, the only advantage for people living in Reading is that they won't have to change at Paddington for the tube. I can't see house prices changing that m much there for it, it will mainly affect prices near rural stations that will save a lot of time, for example Burnham will go from a journey over an hour to 43 minutes.

Caporegime
Also isn't Crossrail going to 'soft-launch' with some horrific rolling stock until the actual trains are ready? I'd rather take an HST and change to a new sub-surface tube than deal with that.

Man of Honour
Also isn't Crossrail going to 'soft-launch' with some horrific rolling stock until the actual trains are ready? I'd rather take an HST and change to a new sub-surface tube than deal with that.

Not proper Crossrail, no. The 'soft launch' is the operator running services from later this year over the old Anglia part of the route.

Back
Top Bottom