Dartford tunnel fine

Associate
10 guess what I got in the post today.

I am not a frequent user of the Dartford toll system so on the 30th November at 10:01 just 4 hours after the new system came in (I found this out today) when traveling that way all the barriers where up and and was causing a lot of confusion with all the motorists. I continued behind a slightly free flowing line and the barriers where all in the up position with the green light showing and I thought oh a free one way pass as maybe something was broken , We had to pay on the return over the bridge with cash. I know ignorance is not an excuse but I simply didn't know until the fine came through this morning dated November the 30th with a stamp I assume from the office in the top saying 31st December and I have no idea why that is there. Is there a time period in which this fine must be issued ?

Any one else been caught with this today or am I just unlucky not knowing anything about it ?

ADT

ADT

Associate
The M25 was plastered with signs days before the scheme went through. You could always contest and hope that they remove it as a gesture of goodwill

Associate
OP
Like I say I don't frequent the Dartford system and the last time before that was probably in June and I don't use that section of the M25 towards Dartford for any other travel and I also don't read motoring magazines to inform me of these changes !

The signs in your link mean nothing to me as a C in a red circle doesn't tell me I have to pay after and the other sign is misleading as all I know about dart charge is maybe its their monthly way of paying ahead of traveling to use the toll as many times in a set period

Soldato
Like I say I don't frequent the Dartford system and the last time before that was probably in June and I don't use that section of the M25 towards Dartford for any other travel and I also don't read motoring magazines to inform me of these changes !

The signs in your link mean nothing to me as a C in a red circle doesn't tell me I have to pay after and the other sign is misleading as all I know about dart charge is maybe its their monthly way of paying ahead of traveling to use the toll as many times in a set period
Motoring magazines? It was in the national news significantly.

There are signs saying you should pay, that you can do so online, and that you must pay by midnight tomorrow:

lSJX9W7.jpg

From the fact you can pay after the day you can go through it is logically obvious that 1) you have to pay, and 2) you can pay when not at the crossing.

You knew the Dartford Crossing wasn't free...

Caporegime

Your options:

* Write a letter explaining that you had not understood the signs and that you were not aware of the new system that was put in place. Explain that you thought the barriers were just faulty that morning. Apologies, be polite and assure them it wont happen again, explaining that you have now read up on the new rules. They may make an exception and waive the fine.

* Suck it up, pay the fine and get on with your life

* **** and moan about it and waste time arguing with people on here about it whilst never actually solving anything.

Soldato
How much is the fine?

You now have to pay the 'congestion charge' for Dartford Tunnel? Isn't that going to significantly slow down travel finding a shop/calling?

*Re-read, a little confusing having to remember to pay it by midnight the day after.

Associate
OP
Motoring magazines? It was in the national news significantly.

There are signs saying you should pay, that you can do so online, and that you must pay by midnight tomorrow:

lSJX9W7.jpg

From the fact you can pay after the day you can go through it is logically obvious that 1) you have to pay, and 2) you can pay when not at the crossing.

You knew the Dartford Crossing wasn't free...

I very rarely watch the news but I had heard something about it but didn't know the detaila and dates etc and with paying coming back through the other end it didn't make it obvious at all.

The signs where not clear at all as like I stated a C in a red might mean there are cats in the road for all I know as I don't remember seeing it in the highway code. Like I said dart charge as far as I was aware was their pre pay system for the lane on the furthest left if memory serves correct.

Also the Dartford Crossing is free as we don't have to pay it normally due to having a tax exempt car but we where in a hire car due to a broken tax exempt car ;)

Associate
OP
How much is the fine?

You now have to pay the 'congestion charge' for Dartford Tunnel? Isn't that going to significantly slow down travel finding a shop/calling?

*Re-read, a little confusing having to remember to pay it by midnight the day after.

The fine is

£2.50 crossing fee
£35 penalty charge

Soldato
I very rarely watch the news but I had heard something about it but didn't know the detaila and dates etc and with paying coming back through the other end it didn't make it obvious at all.

The signs where not clear at all as like I stated a C in a red might mean there are cats in the road for all I know as I don't remember seeing it in the highway code. Like I said dart charge as far as I was aware was their pre pay system for the lane on the furthest left if memory serves correct.

Also the Dartford Crossing is free as we don't have to pay it normally due to having a tax exempt car but we where in a hire car due to a broken tax exempt car ;)
Well, the C is in the Highway Code, and it's not like you were totally unaware. You were actually quite consciously aware that it's a road with a toll, and you just thought you'd get away with it! :p

The fine is also a lot less than the £65 Tfl CC fee I pay seemingly every other month when I forget to pay the CC...

Associate
Processing of the first penalty charge notices issued to drivers who have used the crossing but have not yet paid the charge has now started.

To give these drivers a further opportunity to pay the charge, the first penalty charge notice issued for each vehicle will include a warning letter giving an extra 14 days in which to pay their original charge without a penalty.

“We want to give all drivers the opportunity to pay and comply with the scheme which is why the first penalty charge notice issued for any vehicle for non-payment of the charge will offer the driver an extra 14 days to pay - and pay for any crossings they have made since," said Mr Gray.

“This measured approach strikes the right balance between being clear to drivers they need to pay Dart Charge and giving them every opportunity to do so.”

Have you been offered the 14 day window? Have you received the fine directly or from the hire company? Have the hire company paid the two fiddy standard charge and charged you the full normal fine?

Last edited:
Soldato
Why?

Im not sure what the confusion is, signs EVERYWHERE telling you how to pay etc, dunno how people miss it (not just the OP).

As an aside, I have a friend who has neither smart phone, Credit card nor internet access.

Using the Dartford crossing for her (Which she only does rarely, but she does need to use it from time to time) is a right PITA for her!

If she needs to go that way, she drives at night to avoid the Ballache!

(Can Girls experience "Ballache"? :/? Ho Humm)

Soldato
Is she mentally stuck in the 1990's?

In a way, Yes.

(I have another friend who has never had a TV, She has spent most of her adult life being harassed by the authorities that cannot believe that she simply isn't interested)

She doesn't like the way that all this technology and complexity is effectively being forced on people.

I quite like my gadgets (Otherwise I wouldn't be here) but I also sympathise with her.

I want my gadgets to be my choice, not something that I am compelled to have!

Soldato
Cough up for the fine. I've not known a change so well publicised, the sign is the same as the congestion charge in London and everyone knows it's a toll road. Did you really think you'd get it for free - honestly?

I also don't understand the people who have hate for the new system. It's easing congestion and it's so easy to register for an auto top up that you never need worry about it again. Sure beats queueing behind some numpty who's forgotten their means of payment or can't dig the change out from their pockets.

Back
Top Bottom