BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Was that an easy job? I've read that the sensor for the e46 is in the pipe between the radiator and engine.

Thats not the sensor he's on about. He is on about the level sensor in the expansion tank.

It's easy to do on the E46 for a mechanic or keen Diyer.

As pepsilol says it was straight forward. Just drain the coolant, replace sensor and refill and bleed coolant system. Didn't take long and the part was not expensive either, as I said that was a 5 series but e46 3 series should not be much different.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I wouldnt say that a keen DIY'er is even needed. I hate working on cars but i very easily managed to replace my E46's entire cooling system when the expansion tank ruptured. The level sensor is just on the bottom of the expansion tank - very easy job.

Soldato
It's an easy job to do, but just a little expensive considering the value of the car in the first place. I replaced all of my system, and still had a frustrating leak coming from the connector the coolant tank sits on top of. Took me forever to find the cause of that one.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to get the local garage to do it. It's my only car at the moment and I need it to get to work and back, and they are quite reasonable too. I just don't have the time unfortunately. I'll get them to do the bare minimum and then sell it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It's an easy job to do, but just a little expensive considering the value of the car in the first place. I replaced all of my system, and still had a frustrating leak coming from the connector the coolant tank sits on top of. Took me forever to find the cause of that one.

I found the parts fairly cheap for mine (petrol 330i) :confused: I think the worst bit was the radiator itself at around £80-90 and then the expansion tank at around £25-30.

That said i didnt replace all of the pipes etc, i guess it would add up if you literally replaced everything.

Soldato
Need a new fog lamp, tried to seal mine up again but condensation keeps getting in. Euro Car Parts has thrown me a curve ball, suggesting there's a difference between M-Tech bumpers and M Sport bumpers.

Is there? Which do I have?

Mine's a sport coupe;

kF2eGiwl.jpg.png

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Your bumper is Sport, no difference between that and the later dubbed M Sport. The prefacelift bumper was a bit different though IIRC, had no aero design cues.

-

Well it had a mirror finish for half a day at least lol.

rps20150117_130131_090.jpg

rps20150117_125930_186.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else received a letter from BMW about a recall to replace the front passenger airbag module? This is specifically for a 3-series e46.

EDIT - Having just done some further searching, it seems a few people received it ages ago. I hope they'll give it a free wash and vacuum when they carry out the work :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I got the letter recently, was for the old e46 though. I had the same letter years ago for an airbag recall too from the same dealer and had it in.

I would not have them wash and clean the car though, water marks will be left and they use the same rags on every car. If you care about your car then clean it yourself :p

Associate
550i, my company car for the weekend. I didn't think I'd get to experience a car of this power until I was a lot older and I have to say. Wow.
Its very comfortable to cruise around in but when you plant your foot the power this V8 delivers is absolutely brutal.
Took me most of today to stop being terrified and start to enjoy hooning in it!
yzZ1iDa.jpg
3sHiWxm.jpg

Man of Honour
I'm assuming you mean a thread on here and not a brown log on the bonnet :p

Soon! I've been busy all weekend so no time for pics so looks like next weekend. Been hooning around London making ample "use" of tunnels and underpasses :D

Btw that 550i, I've seen an older one zip by once and they do make a bit of drama in the sound department when the driver gives it some welly!

Last edited:
Soldato
550i, my company car for the weekend. I didn't think I'd get to experience a car of this power until I was a lot older and I have to say. Wow.
Its very comfortable to cruise around in but when you plant your foot the power this V8 delivers is absolutely brutal.
Took me most of today to stop being terrified and start to enjoy hooning in it!
Nice. My 2009 550i is in the Country (that being NZ). New pads and discs fitted as per import regulations, will inspect this week and if all ok will most likely be in ownership next weekend... Perfect for the long weekend here in Auckland!

Back
Top Bottom