Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Is Google cardboard counted as android wear, I'm buying a couple from amazon for about £15 I haven't decided which to buy yet, a mate tried one and thinks they're ace.

The app can be got from Gps so u can see how your screen will respond without buying the cardboard, I'm about to try it.

Actually available from £2.50

Not really, it counts more as full Android as it works on your phone.

Associate
Got my LG G Watch R today. Was packaged back up and sent back within two hours.

Mainly because I had a stuck pixel which on a small screen, is so obvious. But in general just disappointed. The bezel looks cheap and dispite what people have said in reviews about it being passable as a normal watch, the screen just stands out too much IMO.

Also speed and accuracy of the heart beat sensor is debatable. And I think in general, its too early to buy in looking at what I could do with it.

That said, the mic was good and picked up everything I said well. And I can see its potential. Possibly I expected too much but at £200, I expect a lot!

Also after the update it seemed to speed up a bunch and I felt the animations were nice and smooth.

Soldato
Shame about the pixel but also that you couldn't give it a few days.

Once you've had it out in real world situations its amazing how the notifications change the way you use your phone.
I like mine but bizarrely rarely use it for telling the time!

Think the next gen will be sleeker as the tech is made smaller so design and looks can take over.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Shame about the pixel but also that you couldn't give it a few days.

Once you've had it out in real world situations its amazing how the notifications change the way you use your phone.
I like mine but bizarrely rarely use it for telling the time!

Think the next gen will be sleeker as the tech is made smaller so design and looks can take over.

this tbh, you do't realise how useful it is until yo start using it properly. Then you get the predictable features and the pleasant surprises.

imo £200 for a watch is fair, so a watch that does all of this as well is a bit of a bargain. I have the Moto 360 though as i never liked the appeal of the bezel and a smaller screen.

Associate
So I've had my LG watch R for a week now which I think is a decent enough time to give a proper impression.

I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to leave it alone but it feels like I'm wearing a watch. Its comfortable light and it looks good.

Its not had heavy use maybe a few emails and txt messages each day but battery life seems good enough and like I said to my friends I never wear a watch while I'm sleeping anyway so charging it each night is no problem.

For the two days I was in work while using it, it was a god send not having to pull out my phone every time someone messaged me with the usual crap I get and if someone did message me something important than I could go into the back and answer said message.

Battery life is decent. I end most days with about 50% or so.

I love that I can customize the watch faces depending on the occasion.
For when I'm at home I use odyssey which shows me the battery life for my phone and watch and also shows me the temperature outside.

For formal occasions I use the suit watch face as its very discreet and classy in my opinion.

For £200 I think its worth it mostly for the convenience above anything else.

My only two gripes are

1) sometimes the watch face doesn't turn on properly when I lift my watch to look at the time. It only works maybe 7 out of 10 times which is annoying.

2)when I'm using yatse to control my htpc it still shows the card at the bottom of the watch even when I dismiss it. Same thing happens with music controller as well.

Other than those two issues its a great watch for the price and worth it for the convenience of not having to get my phone out whenever I get a message.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Pujie people! :D

This may be old news but, have you seen the preset sharing thread on Reddit?

The popular, very customizable watch face Pujie Black was recently updated to allow you to save and share your presets! Show us your presets! :)

How to share a preset:

Save your preset by tapping the Save icon in the app bar and typing a name in the dialog that comes up, then press OK
Open the Presets window from the overflow menu
Tap the "Share" button on your preset's card
Scroll through your Share menu and select "Copy to clipboard"
Paste it in a comment on this thread, and submit!

How to use a preset:

Open a link for a preset on your Android device with Pujie Black installed
In the menu that comes up, select "Pujie Black"
Save the new preset
Enjoy your new preset, and customize it some more!
http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidWear...hat_pujie_black_allows_you_to_save_and_share/

There is also a G+ page which gives you previews HERE.

Theres some nice designs. ...and some awful ones! *pink* :eek:

Soldato
Yup, noticed that as well, been fiddling with my Pujie theme after seeing the ones on the G+ page. Too bad the screenshot function doesn't properly work on the GWR :p.

Been using this as a guide for colours: http://www.google.co.uk/design/spec/style/color.html#color-color-palette

Trying to avoid blue and full white especially on dim mode, I want my screen to last!

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
lol, does it not? I've not tried it, apparently that G+ page does the preview for you. :)

Oh nice one on the colour pallette. :)

So is blue and white no good? does it burn in the screen after a time or something?

Soldato
lol, does it not? I've not tried it, apparently that G+ page does the preview for you. :)

Oh nice one on the colour pallette. :)

So is blue and white no good? does it burn in the screen after a time or something?

With OLED screens blue subpixels don't last as long as red and green. As for white it's pretty much all of them on max brightness, which if it says on one spot for too long you'll get screen burn, although if you have noticed when on dim mode, the watch face sometimes gets misaligned in different directions with the screen, which is actually Wear's way of preventing screen burn so I guess "bright" colours are not that much of a problem.

On the other hand I really need to get a better camera...
mzLSHLNl.jpg VOulY0kl.jpg

Associate
Those Pujie faces do look swish, I must say.

For me, the downside of the current generation of Android Wear watches is that they don't feature a speaker - something which will be found on the Apple Watch, along with NFC payment ability and a scratch-resistant sapphire screen. On the other hand, the Apple product lacks the GPS and the IP68 dust- and water-proofing of the Sony SmartWatch 3, and the cellular connectivity of the Samsung Gear S.

Associate
I've just had my moto 360 drain drastically in the last two days.

Normally would last me the whole day, but since yesterday the battery life has been terrible.

I've just watched it go down from 12% to 9% in the space of two minutes.

I haven't done anything with it today, apart from check a few messages?

Using Pujie watch face btw

EDIT: @6.12pm the watch is now out of battery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom