Paying part credit card part debit card

Associate
I was advised that if I were to pay part of my holiday by credit card, let's say the deposit of £200 which would attract a surcharge of 2.5% and later paid the balance of £2500 with a debit card (with no surcharge) I'd be able, if something went wrong to claim the full amount (£2700) against the credit card.

It seems unlikely but does anyone have any information on this?

Thanx

Soldato
I was advised that if I were to pay part of my holiday by credit card, let's say the deposit of £200 which would attract a surcharge of 2.5% and later paid the balance of £2500 with a debit card (with no surcharge) I'd be able, if something went wrong to claim the full amount (£2700) against the credit card.

It seems unlikely but does anyone have any information on this?

Thanx

Sounds about right.

As long as you pay some of it on the credit card you have cover

Man of Honour
DO you have a Visa Debit card? If so, although you don't have the protections of the consumer credit act, Visa voluntarily have the same T&Cs regarding chargeback etc with their debit cards.

If not, then your understanding is correct, your CC company would be liable for the full amount.

Soldato
Do I have to pay the full amount on credit card to be protected?

Providing the total value of the item purchased with your credit card is greater than £100 and less than £30,000 you will be protected by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act even if you only pay a deposit with your card and use another method of payment to settle the outstanding.

For example, if you pay a £20 deposit for an item priced at £200 on your credit card and then settle the rest by cheque your credit card provider will still be jointly liable for the whole amount.

I had no idea about that! I assumed you had to pay the full amount on the CC to be covered. Thanks!

Soldato
Slightly different but what if I paid the £200 deposit on a debit card (wife did it, not me as I was aware of this) but could I pay a further £100 off on the credit card and still be covered?

Back
Top Bottom