Korean and Import Monitor Discussion - an update

Soldato
debating between one of these or a Hazro atm.

as long as its not blurry for things like bf4 im not bothered about the 120hz i have a cheap benQ 24" 60hz 1080p atm so i doubt it would be loads worse than this.

I always find that bf4 is blurry. No matter what settings, or which monitor I use it just looks blurry. Another reason I don't have to play it I guess :D

Associate
Just a quick thank you to mods for re-energising this interesting (well, to me at least) topic! Have been away a while and tbh was a bit peeved at the 'censorship' imposed on the forums (understandable as it was)...

Hope people can stay within the remit specified by OCUK and get some more evidence/feedback on this niche but important bit of monitor news (it certainly woke the market up after years of same old 1920x1080 screens)... Cheers!

Associate
Some food for thought:

Why do you guys reckon so few big retailers stock them? My semi-educated guess: because there are quality, warranty and/or import issues. If everything was so rosy, there would surely be more suppliers.

Of course, if it would be possible for the retailer to dictate that the customer would have to handle the defect/return/replacement/warranty issues directly with the manufacturer, there would certainly be more retailers willing to stock them. Alas, the law doesn't bend to that direction.

This would probably be the overall reason. I can only speak from personal experience but I bought one of these Korean monitors about 2 years ago and I'd never buy another one.

The picture quality is acceptable and it was cheap, but they're about the only positive things I can say about it.

- The build quality is cheap and plasticky
- I've noticed an increasing number of stuck pixels cropping up recently
- There's a small group of dead pixels near the top right corner
- When turning the monitor on I'm frequently confronted with a mass of coloured lines on screen, forcing me to turn it off then back on again.
- The main issue I have though is the terrible coil whine which sounds in perfect synchronisation with the flashing power LED when the monitor goes into standby mode.

I'm now in the market for a new monitor, this one will be off to the local tip when I make the purchase. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Associate
This would probably be the overall reason. I can only speak from personal experience but I bought one of these Korean monitors about 2 years ago and I'd never buy another one.

The picture quality is acceptable and it was cheap, but they're about the only positive things I can say about it.

- The build quality is cheap and plasticky
- I've noticed an increasing number of stuck pixels cropping up recently
- There's a small group of dead pixels near the top right corner
- When turning the monitor on I'm frequently confronted with a mass of coloured lines on screen, forcing me to turn it off then back on again.
- The main issue I have though is the terrible coil whine which sounds in perfect synchronisation with the flashing power LED when the monitor goes into standby mode.

Agree the build quality isn't great but it's good enough for me - the stands though are awful (I've had Yamasaki Catleap and Qnix Q270) - VESA mounts are the best solution but for some reason they've made it really awkward to fit them.

I also hate the stupid flashing LED - I disconnected the Catleap's one altogether when I took off the monitor housing to remove the crappy stand LOL. With the Qnix I just put black tape over the light (same as on my headphones and PC) - why oh why do manufacturer's think it's a good idea to have a plethora of blinking (blinking) ;) lights on everything, especially when the item is either a) working (I know it is, I'm using it) or b) sleeping (in which case, STOP BLINKING)! :D

Apart from that I've been lucky so far, only having 1 stuck pixel (Catleap) and some backlight bleed (Qnix). Picture quality (Glossy IPS screen) is lovely and I got 100+hz on Catleap and 120hz steady on Qnix (could probably do more but it'd be a bit pointless). There is some artefacting (blue lines) on video @ 120hz so I usually leave it @ 96hz. Also hardware video acceleration on the GPU has to be turned off when viewing flash or you just get blue screen.

No coil whine I can hear in my case though others have had really bad issues with it...

Definitely fun to play with but not for serious business really - I'm just glad they've had an effect on the market and maybe even brought the prices of IPS 27" 2560x1440 screens down in general...

Edit: Oh forgot about the reduced brightness when overclocked, though that doesn't bother me personally.

Last edited:
Associate
good news, I was looking over at the overclock.net forums about these monitors etc.

a lot of them mention about Qnix/X-Star etc.

I'm wary of warranty dealings, It's probably a case of if the monitor goes wrong within the 12 month warranty period you may as well bin it. As sending it back to south korea would just cost too much.

I have had 3 of these from south korea and sent 2 back and they paid the postage everytime. Not sure if i'm allowed to mention the seller so i won't. :)

The only problem i had was that i had to pay customs/duty twice for the broken one and the replacement, but after contacting customs and explaining what happened, and gave them all the receipt details etc i got my money back.

For the price these monitors are great even tho i have just sold my QNIX Tempered Glass today as ive went for a super-widescreen jobby.
I overclocked mine to 120hz no problem using nvidia control panel, but when going SLI i could only get 96hz which is the other sweet spot on these.

The first one i got had terrible bleed and the second one had 14 dead pixels.....not a bad thing if they are spread about as the pixels are tiny and hardly noticeable, but i had 5 clumped together right in the middle of the screen......and then they sent me my 3rd one which only had 1 dead pixel which took an age to find and was happy with it.....and to top it off they gave me £50 as a good will gesture for all the hassle i had.

The time from sending one back to getting a replacement took around 10 days so not too bad.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure why you deleted my post DirtyJester the only "competitor" I mentioned was the name of the auction site(and nothing more) the first post in this thread actually mentions -

no competitor hinting, linking or discussion, including where you can get said monitors on eBay or from other sources

Perhaps you should remove the first post in this thread as well ... Oh yes, and post #9 also mentions the auction site ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom