 watch

Soldato
Bit perplexed by this to be honest, it's like the total opposite of what you would expect Apple to make. I mean when they jumped on the MP3 bandwagon the iPod didn't really bring anything new to the market but the is no denying that Apple getting behind the industry was a driving force behind the death of physical media, when they released a smartphone the iPhone changed the landscape of the market and influenced every manufacturer, the same is true of the iPad and even the AppleTV was ahead of it's competition.

However they were all emerging technologies, watches are dying technology, hence why I am a bit confused by why Apple are doing this, granted it looks awesome and as a watches primary purpose in 2014 is as fashion accessory maybe that's the tactic they are going with. But it seems kind of lol that after watches were killed off my phones they are now trying to make a watch with some features of a phone :p

Associate
i don't think its so much of resurrecting dead and dated ideas more about promoting new ones.

i'm going along the train of thought that it's not a 'watch' in the sense but as a gentle start for wearable tech.

Soldato
I'm in Silicon Valley and I can assure you that wearable technology is absolutely an emerging market. The number of tech companies out here delving into this industry is insane.

There's a lot of people who would buy this for the heart rate monitor alone, then you can add a wireless music player, now you can add the ability to check notifications without touching the phone. It's definitely the right move for Apple and they will easily dominate again.

Soldato
I'm sure Apple will dominate the market but I'm not sure how big the market will be.

The problem right now is that the technology is developing at a rapid speed but most people expect a watch to last 5+ years. The 1st gen Apple Watch will be seriously out of date by the end of 2016.

Soldato
Haha so true, but then isn't every Apple product essentially junk after year 2 / 3.

I see Apple as a company who cater to the premium product market. There are enough folks who have the money to pay for a premium product and are happy to buy a new product every year or two and there's nothing wrong with accommodating that market.

Problems arise when people outside of that market buy a second hand "premium" product and it doesn't live up to the expectation because it's not designed for that market.

Last edited:
Soldato
21kdvf9.jpg

Sounds like we'll be seeing the Apple Watch around March for £200 but nothing confirmed bar a few slips.

My guess is the announcement came early to help app developers build support (please whatsapp!) but who knows how much access they've been given. Certainly seems like it won't be teaming with support initially but I hope it won't be a "nice first revision but wait for the next model" release like the LG G Watch.

Last edited:
Soldato
$349 normally means £300 I would guess, an never have a 1:1.

Currently developers are extremely limited app support, so we will have a lot of apps, since its pretty easy to integrate, but they will all basically look like iPod navigation panels, with almost no functionality.

I'm still in 2 minds about the product, the looks are ok I guess, fitness stuff is really cool, some other parts are nice. But then it just has a long list of useless features, that just seems like their trying to valid a reason for it trying to exist, like a 1.5" screen is where I want a photo gallery :/. Make it feel unfocused, and a bit meh.

It is still looking to be the best smartwatch, but none of them are really that useful, I also don't see it being a huge success, I think its a hard sell for most people. Fork over £300 to get a notification reviewer on your wrist, if a few apps that would work better on the £600 phone in your pocket. But hey who knows.

Man of Honour
I can't wait :) really can't wait!

I know it's not really solving any problems for me, or adding anything that I have been thinking "if only I had a smartwatch that did that". But, it's a new gadget and the more I read about it, the more I want it :D

Man of Honour
MacRumours said:
An in depth report on the development of the Apple Watch has suggested that the device will last for about 19 hours with "mixed use," which is in line with previous "about a day" battery life rumors. Apple is said to be aiming for 2.5 hours of "heavy" application use (like gameplay), or 3.5 hours of standard use, which will combine with standby time, letting the device last for approximately a day for most users.

Soldato
That is lower than I was hoping for!

I wonder how long it will last if you use it like a fitness band, for the heart rate and activity type features but also for notifications and accepting calls.

I guess turning on the heart rate sensor would count as heavy usage.

Soldato
Heart rate shouldn't, things like fitbit/jawbones i believe track 24/7 and get solid battery life. I think heavy work is anything that needs to ramp up the CPU, or includes communication with your phone.

Soldato
I think it is a bit of a gimmick personally. I can't imagine that I will use many of the features. Sharing your heartbeat with a loved one is just freaky.

Soldato
I think it is a bit of a gimmick personally.

A lot of people said the same thing about the iPad, and tablets in general. Look how that turned out.

Smart wearables are a massively moving field, it's going to dominate the tech world and an Apple product is only going to accelerate the growth of it.

Sharing your heartbeat with a loved one is just freaky.

True, but I think the idea of that was more to show the connected possibilities of such devices, not for it to be a major selling point :p

Last edited:
Soldato
*readies credit card*

I've been playing with the SDK. It's fairly limited in what it can do but there's going to be some great apps built with it.

Back
Top Bottom