Are you a seat belt offender?

Man of Honour
I always wear a seatbelt when in the front. I insist my kids wear a belt when in the front or back. But I don't wear a belt when I'm in the back. It's a habit and I think it goes back to the 70's as a kid and not having to wear belts in those days.

But I am going to make an effort to start wearing them. If I'm in the back and there is a crash then it's not only my life but the person in the seat in front of me that would get hurt. So I'm going to change my ways.

Soldato
OP
Not at all, I know how I could get caught ;) I know I should wear it, I just feel more comfortable driving without it.

Ahh.

This is kind of the answer I was looking for.

"Why" do you feel more comfortable?

"Why" does it matter so much?

I know I wouldn't drive "Naked" Why do you?

(I am not wanting to be a troll here, I would simply really like to know?)

30 years ago I had a GF who didn't like wearing seat belts. She wore one in my car though! It was the only thing I really insisted on. (My argument at the time was I am responsible for you and you will do what you are told when you are the passenger in my car!! My Ship. My Command! (She respected me for it and we continued to be friends up until last year when she died :( )

Soldato
You must have a really crap seatbelt if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

You've misunderstood, it's not uncomfortable wearing a seatbelt, but I prefer the feeling of being free in my seat.

Ahh.

This is kind of the answer I was looking for.

"Why" do you feel more comfortable? As above.

"Why" does it matter so much? It doesn't, we are all different, what works for some, doesn't for others.

I know I wouldn't drive "Naked" Why do you? Because I can. :)

(I am not wanting to be a troll here, I would simply really like to know?)

30 years ago I had a GF who didn't like wearing seat belts. She wore one in my car though! It was the only thing I really insisted on. (My argument at the time was I am responsible for you and you will do what you are told when you are the passenger in my car!! My Ship. My Command! (She respected me for it and we continued to be friends up until last year when she died :( )

Soldato
If you're that convinced you won't crash then you shouldn't be concerned about being stuck in a car post-crash, so what difference does it make?

Indeed.

I have advanced driving qualifications and cover between 20k and 50k a year. I've been driving for ten years now with an unblemished record. Unfortunately that didn't stop a schoolteacher from driving out of a blind junction and into the side of me at almost 30mph, folding my car in half down the b-pillar.

It was school home time and I happened to be in that part of town. Realising in advance I was entering a school zone at kicking out time I voluntarily slowed to 20mph (in a 30 zone) and took a 'position of relative safety' straddling the centre white lines on my way down the otherwise empty road. Lower speed, central positioning - the best way to maximise reaction times and spot any emerging little darlings with blinkers on before they ended up strained through the turbo.

As I approached a gap in a 10ft brick wall surrounding the school, a teacher's car came hurtling out at full pelt into the road, and the side of my car. We didn't even see a human in it, in the split second before she hit. She'd been bent over in the passenger footwell looking for a lipstick she'd seen roll out of her bag. :rolleyes:

Impacting at ~30mph she folded my car in half, but because she wasn't looking where she was going - or even upright - she carried on travelling forward without braking and actually hit us three times in total. We ended up facing 180 degrees the other way on the pavement on the other side of the road, before she finally stopped.

The two front passenger windows were broken (skulls are tough things and do damage when you whip them sideways like that), and I am still disabled with nerve and spinal damage 9 years later.

Ironically had I been travelling faster we'd have missed her, but without seatbelts that crash would have been so much worse for me and my passengers, even at 'only' 30mph. Do I now drive past schools at 90mph just in case? Of course not. Freak accidents are just that - even if someone is at fault as in this case. Just the same way some freakish occurrence isn't justification for leaving off a seatbelt. Nobody can stop you leaving it off, but please don't try to justify it with nonsensical logical fallacies.

You're much more likely to be in a crash where a seatbelt will save your life than end it. I actually qualify for a medical exemption but you won't catch me using it! For those of you who don't wear belts as a passenger, remember: Julie knew her killer. :p

Soldato
Unless you're a milkman, farmer or work any other limited number of jobs where convenience of not wearing a belt outweighs the safety aspect then you are quite frankly a buffoon. No argument of how safe of a driver you are will stand because there's plenty of things happening on the road that are out of our control. Best piece of advice I was ever given by my driving instructor is to assume that everyone driving around me is an idiot and always anticipate their mistakes.

Caporegime
My dad used to drive without one all the time up until a few years ago. He only started wearing it because the car bleeps at him. :o

I always wear one, and have no idea why I ever wouldn't.

Caporegime
Sorry but I really cannot work out why someone wouldn't wear one? It's a safety feature and one that will likely save your life. That and it's the law. I've always used one, my kids know the car doesn't move until everyone has their seatbelt on too. Genuinely confused why people don't 'cluck click, every trip'?

Man of Honour
Always. Feels off if I don't.

Those that don't it is a little selfish of you as it may save your life and thus those that care about you will more likely see you as a result of a crash. However, Darwin is playing his hand with those that choose not to ;)

Caporegime
Sorry but I really cannot work out why someone wouldn't wear one? It's a safety feature and one that will likely save your life. That and it's the law. I've always used one, my kids know the car doesn't move until everyone has their seatbelt on too. Genuinely confused why people don't 'cluck click, every trip'?

Because they think it makes them cool if they break the rules... and the windscreen.

Soldato
Always put mine on. I don't even think about it. I just sort of get into the car and a couple of seconds later it's on.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't. It's not uncomfortable in the slightest, and funnily enough it may well save your life one day.

Only time I don't is if, as others have said, I'm moving a car around somewhere off the road or something.

The GF also constantly drives off with no belt on & then puts it on with no hands on the wheel whilst driving is pretty annoying

My dad does this. It's bizarre.

Soldato
Never wear mine.

Reason - never have worn one, probably never will. Grew up driving an old Landrover that didn't even have them fitted, got into the habit of just jumping in and not bothering.

Massively annoying when jumping in customers cars and I get as far as the perimeter gate and it starts going "boing boing boing" at me.. Ohh ffs OK, *wriggle into belt while trying to drive one handed.
So I'll wear it when reminded but in 25 years that's not been that often

Seems to be incredibly common in the motor trade for some reason: I know several people in that line of work and none of them wear their seatbelts.

Personally I always wear it when driving, but often forget as a passenger, not sure why really.

Soldato
Always wear it, may do it up after maneuvering out of car park etc, but always on. Remember about a year after I first started driving, I done a 30 minute journey then went to undo my seatbelt and was horrified to not have it on. Can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want to wear it, you never notice it once it is on.

Soldato
I started wearing one when Jimmy Saville told me to :o

Seriously, now I never drive without wearing one. It feels natural.

There is a level of insecurity which I never used to feel before they became compulsory. However I am sure some drivers still feel immune from their actions while being belted in.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Always wear unless just moving the car off the drive or something. Literally no good reason not to.

Back
Top Bottom