Which ND Filter

smr

smr

Soldato
Hi all,

Off to Iceland in a few weeks and I'm thinking of buying the Canon 10-18mm lens for the expansive landscapes.

Which ND (67mm) filter would you recommend so that I can for long exposures of waterfalls and seascapes in the day light?

Think I might just stick to slightly longer shutters with my 18-55 kit lens instead of going for the Tokina 11-16 lens for any Northern Lights we may see...

Caporegime
When people say things like a filter is as good as B+W they normally ignore things like the B+W filters have a brass mount which prevents crossed threads and the glass is hardened. Cheap filters can be optically similar but worse build quality. Sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes it is clear why they are cheaper. Cheap glass can shatter and scratch the front element so you want to make sure the glass is hardened.

Some people have reccomended Marumi as a good cheap filter. I saw these in person and they looked reasonable.

The other thing to consider is filters more than lenses last forever if good quality so the likes of B+W seem expensive but in 30 years time you will still be using it without issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
When people say things like a filter is as good as B+W they normally ignore things like the B+W filters have a brass mount which prevents crossed threads and the glass is hardened. Cheap filters can be optically similar but worse build quality. Sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes it is clear why they are cheaper. Cheap glass can shatter and scratch the front element so you want to make sure the glass is hardened.

Having owned a B&W 3.0 nd110 before it shattered I can happily report that the 58mm and 77mm Camdiox nd1000's I now own are every bit as good as the B&W in image and build quality, unless you think fancy packaging is worth the massive difference.

In fact the B&W I had was nearer to 8.5 stops rather than the advertised 10, both the Camdiox's I have are closer to 9.5.

Here's link from a guy comparing them, the Camdiox comes out on top.

http://www.roxsen.com/index.php?route=pavblog/blog&id=17

Soldato
I like the Camdiox 10 stop too Columbo. Very good and a crazy price when compared to others. £28 for the 77mm vs £79 for a Hoya, £84 for a Tiffen or £154 for the B&W.

Of course, I've not owned a B&W one so I won't comment on how good it may or may not be. Cheap filters can give a poor colour cast or screw up sharpness but having owned the Camdiox one I'm very happy with the results. The glass is made in Germany too it seems.

Only issue is they don't do a 3 stop, only variable as far as I can see. It being £48 for the 77mm has prevented me trying it out as I know variable NDs can band at higher densities.

I do want the circular polariser though as they've given me enough with the 10 stop to give them another chance.

For reference

DBT85-BLOG-SSW-002.jpg

1/60 sec @ f/9 & ISO 100

DBT85-BLOG-SSW-005.jpg

15 sec @ f/11 & ISO 100 with the Camdiox 10stop.

DBT85-BLOG-10-Stop-002.jpg

1/80 sec @ f/11 & ISO 100

DBT85-BLOG-10-Stop-001.jpg

8 sec @ f/11 & ISO 100 with the Camdiox 10 stop.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Having owned a B&W 3.0 nd110 before it shattered I can happily report that the 58mm and 77mm Camdiox nd1000's I now own are every bit as good as the B&W in image and build quality, unless you think fancy packaging is worth the massive difference.

In fact the B&W I had was nearer to 8.5 stops rather than the advertised 10, both the Camdiox's I have are closer to 9.5.

Here's link from a guy comparing them, the Camdiox comes out on top.

http://www.roxsen.com/index.php?route=pavblog/blog&id=17

That is good to know, I will keep an eye open for them in the future. The fact that it weighs 50% less is worrying though because that likely goes back to the build quality issues of cheaper filters.

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
If I went for the Camidiox for a Tokina 11-16mm (77mm thread size) are there any issues I should be aware of first regarding vignetting etc.?

Soldato
If I went for the Camidiox for a Tokina 11-16mm (77mm thread size) are there any issues I should be aware of first regarding vignetting etc.?

Nothing you can't sort in PP as far as I'm aware :)

I keep meaning to order a 72mm camdiox one after trying an event cheaper 77mm filter out for my 10-22mm lens.

Soldato

If 77mm is your lens thread size you should be fine.

EDIT: FWIW, I ordered myself the Camdiox circular polariser and variable ND so once they arrive I'll get some shots up for folk.

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
What are the problems with the cheaper ND filters? I see on ebay you can pick some up for several quid! I don't want to pay loads because I'm only renting the Tokina 11-16 lens for a week, so it's basically for seascapes and waterfalls, but then again I don't want something that produces problems in colour casting or vignetting ways.

Soldato
What are the problems with the cheaper ND filters? I see on ebay you can pick some up for several quid! I don't want to pay loads because I'm only renting the Tokina 11-16 lens for a week, so it's basically for seascapes and waterfalls, but then again I don't want something that produces problems in colour casting or vignetting ways.

Some cheap ones can add a colour cast, bugger up contrast, sharpness and if they are really cheap glass even add distortion. Can you not rent a ND from the people who are renting the lens?

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Some cheap ones can add a colour cast, bugger up contrast, sharpness and if they are really cheap glass even add distortion. Can you not rent a ND from the people who are renting the lens?

ok thanks, thought as much, no i can't rent a filter from them, just had a look... but i dont mind paying 12 quid for that kenko i posted above, if its suitable and ok.

Soldato

Get the Camdiox and sell it on after for a small loss you'll probably only be out of pocket the same cost as buying a dirt cheap ebay filter and will have photos your much happier with.

Enjoy Iceland it's amazing!

The Three Sisters, Vik, Iceland by a1ex2001, on Flickr

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, ok £28 isn't bad, especially if I can get good pictures which this thread proves is possible.. I'm guessing I'd have to compose the shot first and then attach the filter (with how dark it is!?)

Soldato
The £28 Camdiox is a 10 stop filter, so its black. You'd have to compose the shot, note the settings down and then either use a little app like ND Filter Calc (Android, no idea about iPhone) or manually crank on 10 stops of shutter speed in manual settings. You can't see anything with the 10 stop on unless you're looking straight at a light and the camera will think it's got a lens cap on.

So if you scene was set perfectly and it came out as a 1/500 exposure, then with the 10 stop that would become a 2" exposure. If you had a 1/100 exposure without the filter, it's then a 10" exposure. If you are shooting JPG make sure you set your WB, if you're shooting RAW then its less of a problem as you can change it in post.

Camdiox also do a variable ND that goes from 2 stops to 8 stops. I've not seen any reviews yet so when mine arrives I'll let you know. The main issue with Variable NDs is that at higher densities and wide angles they can band the image or add a cross pattern, but I have no idea if that's something related to all Variable NDs or just cheap ones (probably all).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom