 watch

Soldato
I'm in Silicon Valley and I can assure you that wearable technology is absolutely an emerging market. The number of tech companies out here delving into this industry is insane.

There's a lot of people who would buy this for the heart rate monitor alone, then you can add a wireless music player, now you can add the ability to check notifications without touching the phone. It's definitely the right move for Apple and they will easily dominate again.

The valley is so far up its own backside right now, with countless emerging tech startups, it can't see past all the excrement clogging the way. I pity the narcissism and deluded sense of self-gravitas that thinks this is in anyway exciting or a good idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
The heart rate sensors aren't a gimmick.

When I started to take running seriously a few friends helped me pick up the right equipment and lay the ground for a healthy progression. One of which was a running watch to monitor my heart rate because it allowed me to gauge how much I could push myself and break the psychological boundary.

It was fairly pricey and required a strap to wear around my chest but the Apple watch uses built in sensors so I wouldn't need a chest strap. I also use a Gen.2 Jawbone UP Band to monitor my activity and food intake but it breaks every 6 weeks so even though Jawbone customer support is fantastic about shipping replacements and the UP Band app is incredible, the reliablility kills it.

So this watch would be a fantastic replacement for both of these which collectively cost more than the watch itself. Never mind the plethora of features in addition to the exercise benefits.

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the great things about something like an UP is you can wear it for a week and forget about it. Hopefully we get there at some point with smart watches. But like I've said the fitness aspect on the Apple Watch seems to be ahead of any other smart watch, and thats a great selling point, its just I don't see how many people need/care about such services.

Soldato
Would it really be a problem if you have to charge it every night? Not like you're using it when you're asleep?

I had that "discussion" with some rabid nutters delusional americans on Macrumors the other day and made the same point. They were getting all excited about it only needing a 20 minute charge while they have a shower in the morning or something. No idea where they heard that from.

Might be able to give it a quick booster charge, but why impair the battery life when you can slow charge it over six hours or so?

Does anyone actually wear a watch overnight? I get that people might sleep with it on for example on an airplane, but in your nice comfy bed? I don't.

Anyhoo....

Soldato
I'm pretty interested in things like sleep tracking, sleep is after all a huge part of fitness, and having to charging it at night ruins that. Also I may just forget to charge my watch, fall asleep with it, its just another thing that has to be charged every night. Furthermore, 1 day might be the best case, what if I use it all day and its done before 5pm.

Honestly I miss the times where you could just fall asleep and not wake up to a dead phone. But I don't expect more then 1 day, everything else is tech moves stupidly quickly and battery hasn't, it is also a gen 1 device.

Soldato
That's exactly what I was thinking, I do love the sleep tracking but nightly charging might throw out that option. I say "might" because the Sleep Cycle app can run on your iPhone as long as you leave the phone on your mattress.

I'd hate to buy it then need to use an UP Band just for sleep tracking. Another nice feature is vibration alarms, really helps if you need multiple alarms in the morning to get you out of bed without irritating your wife... that's why she bought me the UP band. HAHAH!

Soldato
The reason things like the UP are great at sleep tracking is cause they also monitor your heart rate and not just movement so its much more accurate. Apple watch would be ideal for this.

Soldato
A lot of people said the same thing about the iPad, and tablets in general. Look how that turned out.

Smart wearables are a massively moving field, it's going to dominate the tech world and an Apple product is only going to accelerate the growth of it.

True, but I think the idea of that was more to show the connected possibilities of such devices, not for it to be a major selling point :p

Indeed and I am not discounting the idea at all. I just think that the potential of the Apple Watch is limited due to screen size, capacity, battery life etc.

Soldato
If they still had Steve Jobs at the realm I would expect this to bring new innovative uses to the whole wearable technology scene but under Tim Cook I'd just expect them to thieve the best of existing tech and incorporate it into one product.

What innovations have we seen since they lost Jobs... this is it, the Apple Watch is the first fully-post Steve Jobs product.

Everyone in the industry knows this and everyone will be watching very closely so Tim Cook will be making a concerted effort to pull out all the bells and whistles on this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow!!! Have you guys read this phenomenal Steve Jobs keynote announcement of the iPhone 6 and Apple Watch?

main_qimg_e48607fc3cb105ea047d3d1df4546702_conve.png

http://jiggity.com/steve.html

Last edited:
Soldato
The reason things like the UP are great at sleep tracking is cause they also monitor your heart rate and not just movement so its much more accurate. Apple watch would be ideal for this.

I assume you are referring to the UP3 as I don't think any other of their products does heart monitoring?

As an UP24 user I'm really looking forward to the 3, but not sure I'll be able to do without my 2 weeks battery life :p

Back
Top Bottom