Wife just broke down :( causes ?

CSA

CSA

Associate
Hi, my wife drives a 2004 renault megane 1.5dci , shes just broke down on the way home from work, she said the steering stopped responding (power steering?) while pulling away from traffic lights ,all the lights on the dash came on,the stop light flashed several times, all the dials started jumping around,she pulled up at the side of the road then turned the engine off,then it wouldnt restart its just dead, possibly immobilizer kicking in ? ,even the key fob to lock the car wont work now,could it be as simple as a dead battery ? although im thinking surely a battery wouldnt just die as shes driving along ?

what else could cause this behaviour ?

Im really miffed because its never done anything like this before and was only in the garage for an oil and filter change yesterday,shes done like 4 miles in the car since collecting it and this has happened :(

Soldato
another vote for aux belt, I had it happen in my t5 vw transporter, power steering died and all the dials went absolutely ape****, my boss had me buy another battery and drive it back!

I would be doubtful the oil change has anything to do with it tbh.

Associate
Sounds just like a faulty alternator tbh or as mentioned an aux belt not driving it to produce any charge. The loss of power and then will not restart due to a dead battery. As you correctly mentioned the battery will not die as you're driving.

First check that the belt is on fine. Then put a bit of life into the battery and see if it will start up. If it does, then i would check to see if it is charging with a volt meter and you should have your answer.

Im fairly confident this is what it will be.

Last edited:

CSA

CSA

Associate
OP
yup its the alternator,AA been out but cant recover it until tomorrow due to a huuuge backlog of breakdowns lol , damn snow :(

Associate
If its not too far away and you have a fully charged battery on another car that you could pinch or a booster pack, you could drive it home quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom