iphone 5c screen coming away from the handset...

Soldato
As per title, my Mrs iPhone 5c, the entire screen appears to be coming away from the actual handset, it started raising in the top left corner and has now worked to the top right, it's making the phone do some odd things like forcing loudspeaker when making calls with no user input amongst other things.

Typically it's out of warranty by a few months.

So, is this a more common fault then it appears? I can't find many others with the issue but my Google skills aren't great, to me it seems like a manufacturing defect, it hasn't been dropped, it's all in one piece and the screen has randomly peaked its self up from the top, it almost has a curve to it.

Any thoughts?

Associate
It will either be the glass coming away from the visualiser element, or the complete screen unit coming away from the phone. Has it been dropped at all?

The top left and right should be the parts least likely to move away from the phone as they slide in first beneath two little raised areas to hold it in, and then obviously screwed in from the bottom.

I would take the sim tray out, remove the two bottom screws and take the screen off gently with a small suction cup and reseat. If you're not comfortable, take it to a shop and get the Screen replaced, or Apple of course.

Associate
I posted a thread on this forum with a problem similar to yours about one month ago. My issue was with an iPhone 6 though, with the screen separating from the housing on the left hand side of the phone. I took the phone in to my nearest Apple store and they replaced it, although they seemed to think that my problem was caused because there was a slight bend in my phone. I myself couldn't see the bend at all though, and I still attribute the problem to this day to poor design/ manufacture.

Associate
As per title, my Mrs iPhone 5c, the entire screen appears to be coming away from the actual handset, it started raising in the top left corner and has now worked to the top right, it's making the phone do some odd things like forcing loudspeaker when making calls with no user input amongst other things.

Typically it's out of warranty by a few months.

So, is this a more common fault then it appears? I can't find many others with the issue but my Google skills aren't great, to me it seems like a manufacturing defect, it hasn't been dropped, it's all in one piece and the screen has randomly peaked its self up from the top, it almost has a curve to it.

Any thoughts?

this does seem to be common problem with the 5 i had a BNIB one that had a screen the screen coming away and when you pressed near it clicked in and out so you might have a case against the manufacture's warranty :)

Soldato
I believe Apple provide a 2 year warranty by default. Book a genius appointment regardless. They're usually very helpful and - providing you don't go in beating your chest, will likely offer a gesture of goodwill (should you be out of warranty) :).

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys I'll try get in to the Apple store over the weekend.

It is starting to sound like a manufacturing/design defect so hopefully it will get replaced or repaired hassle free :)

Associate
Thanks guys I'll try get in to the Apple store over the weekend.

It is starting to sound like a manufacturing/design defect so hopefully it will get replaced or repaired hassle free :)

With any luck!

If they don't play ball and try to charge you an arm and a leg, give it a quick go yourself, you don't need to take much of the phone apart to investigate screen issues to begin with, in terms of it seating correctly.

Soldato
OP
Well, my son ended that venture before it started, Mrs was going to take the phone in today, little lad was playing with the phone this morning, dropped it and it fell completely apart, I haven't seen it yet but I'd imagine it's now going to be a replacement out of my own pocket :(

Bloody kids!!!!

Soldato
OP
Bits of the screen are literally missing :o

Oh well, phoned O2 and they only require £150 to buy out the remainder of her contract so she can get an upgrade :)

Associate
couple of 5s's i had done same were out of warranty but got replaced FOC as always they know and are genuine about help hence i feel apple do a great warranty service,, mine are purchased not contract but thats just to clarify no network provider etc

Back
Top Bottom