The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Kei

Kei

Soldato
D810 is more likely as my dad's D800 box is totally different on the top. My D810 box looks exactly the same as that image.

A superb camera and is certainly a huge upgrade from a 350D. (released in 2005, unless you meant the 300D) My 810 replaced an EOS 20D that dated back to 2005.

Associate
Let me know what yout think, im debating this or the Samyang 14mm for my A7R.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to put it through it's paces too much, I've only shot with it a couple of times. My previous WA was a Canon 17-40 L, I thought the centre sharpness of that lens was nice but it got really soft on the edges and produced some pretty bad flaring from light sources at night too.

The FE lens certainly doesn't disappoint in these two areas. Corner sharpness was really impressive and flaring is well controlled also. I'm really just basing this on my previous experience with the Canon so I'm not really in the best position to give a complete review. But if you or anyone would like some RAW files I'd be happy to oblige so you can judge for yourselves.

Associate
Yup D810 :D

Although it was only replacing my second hand D800, so not quite the massive jump, had a fair few old bodies between the 350d and this, but it's only the second camera I've ever brought new.

I've only just had a chance to have a play with it so here's my initial impressions.

The new shutter mechanism sounds amazing and feels so much smoother although imo the new quiet mode feels louder then the standard mode.

The new viewfinder focus points are much more crisp but while the white text is nice It wasn't the wow factor I thought it'd be.

The new group area AF looks fantastic and I like how you can change the display from spots to squares although it would have been nice to create a custom AF group layout (not sure if you can?)

It feels much more responsive in both menu clicks are preview, I'm not sure if it was on my D800 as I never found it but I like the option to put a viewfinder overlay on top of the preview showing the af selections.

And last but not least how it feels in the hand, I've progressed from the D700, D800 and now the D810 and while it doesn't have the quality feel of a D700 it definitely feels better in the hand then the D800, the grip feels deeper and the rear thumb rest feels like the D700 again which is I nice as I nearly dropped my D800 when muscle memory kicked in and expected more of a rest :O

However I can't get over the feeling that the body feels different, I'm still undecided if it's that new camera feel or something but the body definitely has a different texture which feels slightly cheaper although lighter and also slightly weird with a heavy lens on.

Looking forward to a shoot I have next week which will give it a real test :D

Associate
Have been thinking about a DSLR for a while, have spent the week discussing different entry level camera's with a workmate who is a huge photography enthusiast and have taken the plunge with a Nikon D5300 with the 18-55mm VRII Lens.

Will spend the next few months or more to see how much I enjoy it before dropping any further money on more lenses, have hopefully made a good camera choice to start.

Associate
It has arrived, I will be picking up a NIKON AF-S DX NIKKOR 35 mm f/1.8G SWM Prime Lens as I have a load of Curry's vouchers which I have had for a while.

Now going to drive the other half nuts this weekend taking a thousand photographs, have been recommended to grab Adobe Lightroom for editing, not sure if anyone recommends anything else.

IMG_2801-1.jpg

Associate
Fast and wide fun this month. Not a bad haul for £480 all in.

I love my Sammy 12mm, it's on my Fuji 80% of the time. They feel good in the hand too, no? I was amazed by how solid mine is, feels reminiscent of a 70's Asahi Pentax.

Would be interested to know what you think of the 7.5mm.

My only tip- they are dead easy to focus, but it's worth spending a few minutes on a tripod setting an accurate infinity mark.

Soldato
I love my Sammy 12mm, it's on my Fuji 80% of the time. They feel good in the hand too, no? I was amazed by how solid mine is, feels reminiscent of a 70's Asahi Pentax.

Would be interested to know what you think of the 7.5mm.

My only tip- they are dead easy to focus, but it's worth spending a few minutes on a tripod setting an accurate infinity mark.

You're right, both the 7.5 and 12 feel fantastically well made. My PanOly lenses seem like plasticy toys in comparison, although they obviously have the advantages of being much lighter and autofocusing. The focus ring on the 12 is very nicely weighted, although the 7.5 feels a little stiffer - can probably mostly ignore focusing with that lens though :p

I had heard the infinity markers can be off a bit, I'll be sure to check that out before using them in anger.

The 12 balances almost perfectly with my E-M5.

Last edited:
Soldato
Something I've thought of a few times since getting my 200-400mm...

What are the Canon big white lens plastic cases for exactly? On the surface I'd say they're for transporting it safely when you abroad but there's problems there!

1- Kinda broadcasts that's it's worth stealing since it's got Canon plastered over it and even has the model of the lens in my case.

2- It's too big for hand luggage so are we really expected to check it? lol

Associate
Something I've thought of a few times since getting my 200-400mm...

What are the Canon big white lens plastic cases for exactly? On the surface I'd say they're for transporting it safely when you abroad but there's problems there!

1- Kinda broadcasts that's it's worth stealing since it's got Canon plastered over it and even has the model of the lens in my case.

2- It's too big for hand luggage so are we really expected to check it? lol

Transport really, you should be insured if you have a lens like that anyway. The Nikon cases are even worse. They look like a trunk Phileas Fogg took around the world.

Soldato
Transport really, you should be insured if you have a lens like that anyway. The Nikon cases are even worse. They look like a trunk Phileas Fogg took around the world.

Yeah but unless your insurance can send you a new one in hours after the airline lose/crush yours then it's worthless really :/

I can just imaging flying out somewhere to go shoot something and your lens gets sent the wrong way around the world or lost lol :(

Associate
Yeah but unless your insurance can send you a new one in hours after the airline lose/crush yours then it's worthless really :/

I can just imaging flying out somewhere to go shoot something and your lens gets sent the wrong way around the world or lost lol :(

Most people with those with these lenses would probably be members of CPS who would loan you a lens if yours was lost. If you can get it in your hand luggage it would be better. I never used my 300 f/2.8 carry case for anything other than storing it in at home.

Soldato
Most people with those with these lenses would probably be members of CPS who would loan you a lens if yours was lost. If you can get it in your hand luggage it would be better. I never used my 300 f/2.8 carry case for anything other than storing it in at home.

Yeah that's what I did with mine when I went to Canada. It was a bit of a snug fit but it was in there! The whole bag was actually over weight for hand luggage but they never checked.

The plan was to keep the lens separate on the shoulder strap as Air Canada said they allow a few separate items from your hand luggage like a small laptop bag etc. The 200-400mm without a body fell into those dimensions but I never had to test my theory since they didn't bother weighing it all.

Back
Top Bottom