Old Jeep Cherokee - any good?

Soldato
I had one and i'd give my right arm to have it back. If you don't care about fuel consumption then I'd thoroughly recommend it.

I had a 96 Cherokee which took me to South of France and back without skipping a beat. It was absolutely sound. The few times bits needed working on, the parts were easy enough to find.

So much space in the back, slept in there a few times. Nice and high but it doesn't feel like a "big" car for parking etc.

Do it.

[Edit: I had a second one, a 94, that had a few more issues but it was a blind ebay buy for £500. Id posted about that one on here a few times.]

Last edited:
Soldato
I still miss mine. Ran one for two years and it never skipped a beat. Sold it for my than I paid to a guy who flew over from Germany and drove it back.

Fuel consumption is poor but if you can force yourself to do 65 on long journeys then you can reach upper 20s mpg. Lots of toys for an old car and like a big sofa to cruise about in.

Soldato
These are fantastic. Pre-facelift ('96 or prior) ones are the best, at least in my eyes, although some of the upgrades the later cars received did improve a few things - but the simpler styling of the earlier ones is more desirable. They seem to last better as well.

Don't expect better than 20mpg, unless you're very lucky, but it's unlikely that's ever a problem for most.

They take the mileage very well provided they're cared for (fluid and filter changes, for both engine and trans, and coolant). Common failure points are rust, sagging rear springs (which can then cause differential input shaft bearing problems) and worn steering components. A good one should feel taught, lively, accurate (comparatively) and quite swift!

Loads of them have been just run into the ground, so finding a good one can take time. The difference between a good and a tired one is blinding though.

Insanely tough things. I'd want lower mileage for the money, but that one does look quite clean at a glance.

Any questions, just ask. Had three, would love to have one back (this one in particular).

IMG_4652.jpg

Wasn't much I didn't do with that. Very fond memories of pushing a completely seized Omega estate to the top of a twin-deck transporter. Quite challenging to stay on the ramps, as you couldn't see them, but the Jeep behaved like there was nothing in front of it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't know how the older ones are in comparison to our 2002 WJ 2.7 Diesel, but with a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT's fitted it seems to love the snow, it's great offroad too and awesome at towing our 27 foot twin axle caravan.

Day to Day driving however it is a thirsty, wallowing monstrosity & I avoid driving it at all costs.

I actively swap cars on the drive to go to the shop to avoid driving it.

Soldato
WJ is a very different beast to an XJ :)

XJ is similarly unstoppable in the snow though.

We bought ours for towing ability primarily due to the large caravan & the fact my GF has horses & has to sometimes go offroad & tow a horse trailer.

I must admit although I don't like driving the thing it provided a very comfy Newquay > Worksop run as a passenger in the summer.

Soldato
Avoid like the plague, get a jap version.
My uncle had one and the thing was a nightmare to work on get parts for.
If you get one I'd recommend a long breaker bar and a drill/tapping set for when the cheap as sin bolts snap.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies!!

It's more economical than my other car, so that's not an issue :p

Overall it does seem that these are pretty good battle wagons to own. Some issues from time to time that can be expensive to repair, but considering the ludicrously low purchase price and ease of repair, I don't think too costly to run.

I think I'm going to try grab one of these as a second car :)

@Lashout - are there some good people to source these? Good forums with ads? I'm keen to get a half decent one that's had the usual things done.
Avoid like the plague, get a jap version.
All the Jap SUVs look naff :(

Soldato
I think the problem is that most people only seem to have experience of totally shagged ones which have been neglected beyond belief. These things will soldier on indefinitely but by that point any fixes or repairs are always going to be complicated or costly due to the neglect.

They are indeed good to own, as mentioned if you find a good one. I put several thousand miles on mine, used and abused it quite comprehensively, and only did one oil change. Did lots of motorway commuting in it as well. Very comfortable. Good turn of speed as well.

I think it's pot luck in terms of sourcing one. I'd keep an eye on Trader, Gumtree and eBay. Few on PH and classics sites too. Look for a low owner one with, say, sub-100,000 miles on it and a decent amount of history. Things like trans fluid changes, matching tyres, etc.

In terms of 'usual' things, it's really only the rear springs that are most common. You can tell quite easily as it won't look like it's sitting particularly even; really knackered ones will be noticeably drooping. New springs are only about £140 IIRC though, and easy to fit :)

I'll keep an eye out!

:D

Do try to find a pre-facelift one though - and 4.0 only. Much more 'Jeep'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom