Love buying. Hate selling.

Caporegime
Not really sure why people even bother offering less than what you could get p/x or from we buy any car. Surely they at least do a modicum of research into prices and realise if a seller is selling privately, they want more than they would get trading it in.

Soldato
Oh right, I get what Fox and the others meant now. I'm that far up North I rarely have to deal with those types :p

It's why I don't particularly fancy selling my Golf, for the amount it's worth, I don't know if I could cope with the sort of calls a Mk4 GTI bruv init would generate :p

Man of Honour
Fingers crossed then ;)

Where did you advertise it?

PH and Autotrader but Autotrader is where the buyer came from and PH was where the timewaster who made an offer, had it accepted, drove up to collect the car and then decided he 'didnt fit the seat' came from.

Associate
This thread makes me feel better about when I sold my car.

I gave up and traded it in and took the hit, Fiesta ST 2008 I just knew it was going to be numpty central.

My last few cars before this were a lot of effort. Only saved by being purchased from family or extended friends.

Associate
Had similar experiences to the OP. Tried selling on Gumtree, Pistonheads, Ebay and Autotrader. Autotrader provided the most useful leads but even then they were weird, I had one guy come and view the car on behalf of someone else, I asked him if they had asked him to view the car because was knowledgeable on the subject and he told me he'd never owned a car and didn't even drive!

Also had people ringing later than 11, asking endless questions etc then offering 1/2 the asking price or a swap for a 1990 Vauxhall Nova 1.0 or something random and pointless.

I don't get why people with half the cash are even looking? Surely when buying a car the first thing people do is think "my budget is this so I can afford these" not "I want this car, maybe the seller will just take half the money"

Caporegime
I don't get why people with half the cash are even looking? Surely when buying a car the first thing people do is think "my budget is this so I can afford these" not "I want this car, maybe the seller will just take half the money"

Also, surely they realise that no one is going to take less than the trade price....because otherwise the seller would have already traded it in and not advertised it privately. The whole fact that there is a private ad surely shows that the seller wants a decent price for it and has chosen not to go down the p/x / webuyanycar route.

Soldato

I imagine the people who are thick enough to do this either won't have it occur to them or just won't care.

Soldato
Sold my first car privately today, went very smoothly. My old Ford Focus 2001 Ghia.

Put it up last week and had a few calls yesterday and today. No time wasters luckily.

Needless to say it sold to the first person who came to view it as it is in mint condition. Got £350 more than part-ex value too. I bought it for £1100 4 years ago and sold for £750 today.

It was sold through Gumtree, although it was also on Autotrader.

Last edited:
Soldato
What makes me laugh is that people will take the pi** on the asking price, trying to get a bargain for themselves yet when you ask them about their life you find out they just throw money away generally - yet try to get a car for a daft low price. I'm sure sometimes people know they won't buy hence the silly offers but it stops the boredom.

I know someone currently looking to buy a rare car but is only willing to spend £12k and with a few odd spec requirement when the going price is £14-15k yet is willing to buy a car that needs some work. I really don't get that either. Why spend months looking for a car below market value but then happy to throw money at it - just buy a good one to start with it'll take less time.

Last experience I had was when someone offered me less than the dealer did for a trade-in and when I told them that the response was "yeah, but do you really want to sell it to a dealer to make a profit on?" and had no idea why I would not entertain them any longer. These days I will test the market but if I get the impression the car is attracting time wasters I'd rather just take a hit and trade it in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found it used to be easier before internet car sales. People would have to make more of an effort to buy a car now any old numpty turns up or you get abuse/obsurd offers by message.

I still find it satisfying selling a car that you have cared for to that eventual person that comes along that you know really wants it, likes it and appreciates that you have looked after it. After all they have probably been looking for months like most enthusiasts do.

Equally as a buyer I've met some idiots.

Soldato
Reminds me of the time when my brother sold his civic. Had it up for 2k, buyers came down after a 2 hour journey and looked it over, test drove it and offered 1.8k!

Happy days!

Writing out the receipt, cash on table, log book filled out, about to sign... "hang on it's got 126k miles on the clock"

:confused::confused::confused:
*buyer gets up and leaves the house*
:confused::confused::confused:
What the actual ****

Associate
Tried selling my Mazda RX8 last year.

Gave up.

Two blokes came around, acting like they wanted to buy asking all the right questions.

Both make ridiculous offers and refuse to budge.

His idea that my perfectly fine engine (with compression test Co pleted) would need new rotor tips eventually, so he would like to buy the car cheap and do them now! (even with good compression so no need to)

Then shows me an advert on ebay with a car that has done 100k(50k more miles then mine) with a broken engine for 800 quid. and promptly offers me 900quid!!!

I told him to get out my house. Idiot.

Hate selling cars, dealers know the hassle which is why you always get bottom dollar on part exchanges.

Associate
Selling my old mans Mondeo Tddi was the best.

Loads of calls from obvious taxi drivers who wanted me to more or less deliver it half way across the country for free was unreal.

Also when I sold my trusty old faded corsa C diesel I got so many people come look at it (due to it being diesel) and then walk away due to it being faded.

It looked pink in the photos I have no idea what people thought it would look like in real life, metallic blue maybe?

Back
Top Bottom