Recommendations for Good Quality Chefs Knives

Permabanned
You'll get some going for global, but try them first, they feel awkward to me.

I like the Japanese ones with the bevel just on one side, and the wooden handles are just nice to hold.

Caporegime
Have no idea about proper chef knives but... we bought a cheap ceramic knife the other day. It looked sharp, but had to be tested :p Just ran it along the back of my hand (as you do), using no pressure besides gravity. The little bugger cut clean through the skin. Proper sharp. The cut was tiny, very narrow, but deep considering no pressure had been used.

So ceramic knives are sharp - this is confirmed :p No wonder it came with a sheath.

Soldato
My wife bought me a great set of Global knives years ago and they are absolutely brilliant but I think you need to get a feel of what suits you really.

Permabanned
couldn't agree more.. get one good knife

Well I'd get a big* one and a small one, but yeah buying the whole set is a bit OTT unless money isn't a worry, I never felt hard done by for never having an expensive bread knife :)

*Not too big, I've got a huge Wusthof but I've never used it, it is just to big for anything.

AJK

AJK

Associate
I've got a set of these (different shape block but same idea, and paid a lot less!). They're excellent, easy to care for and sharpen, stay sharp with minimal attention, etc.

I agree that one good knife is better than a set of average ones though - 90% of the time I use the Chef's Knife in my set.

Associate
Meh, I've got two Global knives and don't like their hollow handles - they don't feel very 'premium' to me.

My main knives are the Zwilling J.A. Henckels German knives (available everywhere and have a good range), and also a couple of the Kasumi folded steel Japanese knives which feel and perform brilliantly.

After much trial and error I've settled on a ceramic water sharpener, specifically the mino sharp 3, which uses 3 different ceramic rollers, each finer than the previous. This gets an incredible edge with minimal effort.
I'm quite sure there are some who can do a better job using proper 'honing' techniques, but I've found this to take a long time and require a lot of skill/effort to get right.

Associate
There are usually some amazing sale deals on knife blocks, but you may have missed the best of these with the January sales ending.
As others have said, I'd probably get a chef's knife (6 or 8 inches) and maybe a smaller vegetable knife to start - these will usually handle most tasks.

I forgot to also mention I have a couple of the Kyocera ceramic knives which retain their sharpness extremely well and are good for certain tasks (don't use them to bash or pry things though!)

I'd find a good local independent kitchen shop and ask to try a few and take it from there. A good knife that you find comfortable (and you keep sharp) will last for years, so worth spending good money on something you like.

Associate
Keep it sharp - keep it clean!

About a year ago I saw a Norwegian chef giving a demonstration of preparing a Salmon. When he had finished I asked him how often he sharpened his knives.

He looked faintly surprised and replied "Every time, before I use them."

When I suggested that that seemed a bit over the top he replied that that way "I always know that they are sharp.". He then paused, smiled and continued "Anyhow, it's good experience for the trainees."

I guess that the moral of this tale may be that regular sharpening is more important than the particular knife?

Associate
http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/eden-quality-kitchen-knives.htm

I have some of the Eden Classic Damast knives and I am very happy with them. Good price for what they are with good build quality when compared to a friends Henckels. (The Eden Classic VG10 knives achieve the same thing but just don't look quite so fancy).

Just make sure to wipe them down and clean them straight after use or they are prone to pitting. No leaving them in water and no dish washers!

They discount more as you add more knives so have a play with adding things to the basket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom