• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I've had terrible stutter just gaming at 1080p since I got the card so I think there's other 9xx card related issues that haven't been identified. The card isn't even being pushed to 100% usage and stutter occurs.

People seem to assume it's just when vram gets over 3.5gb but it's not. There's something strange in the neighbourhood with these 970 cards.

I can directly compare to 290 too as I had this card previously in same system and had zero issues with frame times and stutter - just heat. Both are MSI twin frozr 4g gaming cards too.

I'm going to refund and wait for next gen; back to 2gb 770 (no stutter edition) with slightly lower settings for a few months for me.

Soldato
My GTX980 arrived Saturday to replace the GTX970 G1 I'm sending back today! It's astonishing! 81% ASIC quality, clocks to 1500MHz/1900MHz without even touching the voltage and runs at around 65 degrees while being silent. It's superb.

The difference at 1440p in high VRAM situations (FC4, ACU, Watch Dogs) is insane!

So would you say this is confirmation that there is definately a problem with the gtx 970 memory config?

Caporegime
It makes sense of the weird performance issues I got in DAI. High frame rates but weird stuttering, which was unbearable. I blamed Bioware! >.> I get where that behaviour stems from. Most games like BF4 etc pushed the VRAM up to the limits so.

Well done NVIDIA. Come on, you've had the graphics market to yourself more or less for a while. Thankfully AMD are around to keep you on your toes but how could you screw this up? The PR response has been abysmal too. OcUK are basically doing refunds out of their own pocket right?

why do so many people keep spouting this bs. ocuk are not funding 970 gtx refunds. yes they helped out like any other retailer has but come on wake up !

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Turn your settings down?
I'm the wrong person for these threads, never understood why people insist on cranking details so high, if your card(s) choke...turn something down or off.

i agree

max settings is a scam by game devs and GPU makers anyway

most of the time you dont really see a big difference between that and the next settings down but you lose half your FPS

Soldato
why do so many people keep spouting this bs. ocuk are not funding 970 gtx refunds. yes they helped out like any other retailer has but come on wake up !

So has Nvidia issued a statement that they will pay for the returns? If so why are other retailers not accepting returns?

Caporegime
it can be used for higher res but it wasn't meant to be.

its not a top end card. 1440 and above requires top of the range cards. 970 gtx are not that.

I'm not on about a single card configuration...I'm talking about sli and xfire..

Many bought the GTX 970 to use in xfire down the line if they choose to go 1440p

So your saying that a 290 in xfire is not enough grunt to push 1440p?

Stop spouting BS

Associate
I would like to see you max anything much out with a GTX 960 @1080p with the GPU grunt available.:D

You need 2 x GTX 980s in SLI to max out Crysis 3 @1080p and get over 60 fps.:)

I thought a single 970 was more than sufficient to max out current games at 1080p and +60fps?

Caporegime
So has Nvidia issued a statement that they will pay for the returns? If so why are other retailers not accepting returns?

look ocuk make money from people selling pc components. they dont do it for love. i shop at ocuk . they are just a retailer making money from business.

it pays for them to keep customers happy. whatever is told to you regardless ocuk wont lose on this. thats why they would do it.

business don't do it because they love you its for money. otherwise youd be broke.

nvidia will reimburse them either in full or part and maybe future shipment deals or something else. one thing is for sure they wont lose.

ocuk sell are a partner for nvidia so with what they sell in great volume something will of been sorted. if you believe otherwise then i don't know what to say. :p

its not to hate on what gibbo did he did well but just realize its business not we did it for you out of love for nothing. which seems to keep getting mentioned.

look at whats happened. other this which is really nothing.

loads of slower older stock AMD cards will get sold.
loads of people actually spending more on 980 gtxs

they cant lose !!

if anything they just made more money and people think they done it for nothing :D

great business out of a nvidia slip up. well played on capitalizing on it. any of business would have.

Caporegime
I'm not on about a single card configuration...I'm talking about sli and xfire..

Many bought the GTX 970 to use in xfire down the line if they choose to go 1440p

So your saying that a 290 in xfire is not enough grunt to push 1440p?

Stop spouting BS

if we talk about max setting with top games. no not really. you may disagree but so do i. so whos right ?

go play the newest games some not even the newest max settings at 1440 some of those will be below 60 fps at 1440.

now with modern monitors is that ideal or good ? nope.

OcUK Staff
No, OCUK have full support from the board makers who in turn should be going to nvidia for their part. It is basically costing ocuk the shipping costs, and even then theyve had a handful of returns off thousands sold

No news from Gigabyte still, were still supporting our own OcUK cards of our own backs and of course it means our RMA guys have more workload to deal with. It is a situation we'd rather not be in.

Just unlike our competitors we were on this like a coiled spring and quickly came up with a plan even if we did not have support from the board partners.

So far were now just over 100 returns. :)

Facts are OcUK made a decision to take returns potentially without the backing of board partners as we put the customer first. Board partners were then pushed very very hard to support us because any actions now will be considered highly when it comes to future purchases. We pushed like crazy, we acted before any competitor, we have handled this situation better than any other competitor world wide. :)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff

Any other retailor? To my knowledge other retails are still telling customers go away. :)

OcUK is doing a lot more and being very transparent with customers on this whole situation whereas competitors are not even replying to customers or telling them no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom