Do you take sick days because you feel it is your turn?

Would be interested to see some stats for a system that paid more for no sick days to one that didn't. Personally not had a sick day in nearly seven years. Would love to be paid extra over the lazy blighters that take sick leave as if its due to them

Soldato
If I was a monumental ******* than I would. But I'm not, so I don't.

What an awful work ethic.

Can't remember the last time I took a sick day, well over 3 years ago. And it has only ever been if I am genuinely Ill.

Soldato
(Hoping not to jinx myself here)

Last time I had off sick was in the last millennium !!
1988 to be precise when I woke up around midnight (I started work at 03:00 so had to be in bed by about 21:00) and thought my appendix had burst.

I drove the lorry bobtail to PDH and abandoned it out front.
Spent 3 days on the wards.
Turned out to be kidney stones. they never removed them and I still get "tweaks" to this day.

Being in a job where "If the wheels aint turning then you aint earning" focuses your attitude.

I've (unwisely) driven when suffering from the Flu and I don't mean pathetic Man-Flu. FULL ON head splitting open-freezing stylee.

Also had to take a dump under the trailer when suffering from diarrhoea

Aaaah those were the days !!

Not !

Soldato
Nope, never done it. Plenty of times where I've wanted to for no reason but stuck it out and gone in. That being said the amount of staff where I work (school) that take sick days/personal things is beyond belief.

Associate
I've only been off work for sickness once for as long as I remember and that was because the flat downstairs in our maisonette at the time locked the front door when me and my housemates were out after a night of drinking. Our keys didn't work in the door and they weren't answering the doorbell. The weather was so awful (January frost and wind) that most people couldn't make it to work anyway, we ended up sleeping in the car which was one of the most uncomfortable nights sleeps I've ever had. we ended up getting in at 7 am since my housemate tried to ring the doorbell for downstairs again.

I was so tired and cold I just couldn't face a day at work.

Associate
I am rarely off sick, unless I can barely move I would just work from home, I don't get as much done at home as I don't have an office to separate things off but still I only do it if I have something catching. Besides too much time at home is a terribly boring thing.

Soldato
I'vetaken sick days for actual flu (couldn't get out of bed for a week) and bad back pain. If I can get to work I will. Both were 9+ years ago.

I don't understand how people can just lie and 'pull a sickie'.

Associate
Only when sick

I had 15 days off the year before last from a concussion which resulted in a 2 hour memory for nearly 7 days and then it was a phased return working from home for a few days.

I don't feel guilty in any way.

Associate
Went on the sick for the first time in 10 years last year, tore my acl and damaged plc, had 4 weeks off when i first did it and then another 8 weeks after the op to have it reconstructed

Man of Honour
No because I'm a contractor and that would mean loss of earnings. :)

I have to be really ill to not go to work.

Although in saying that, having been doing it for 2+ years, I find myself taking more time off and not worrying about the lack of income. In Novemeber I took a week off, I really needed it.

Soldato
I just log on remotely when I'm ill, saves the drama of sickness monitoring when you have 3 days within a given period.

The only thing which puts me off work on a yearly basis is the odd migraine, but even those I'll work from home for the afternoon once it's cleared. On average I've had about 6 days off in the last four years here.

Soldato
I used to have an awesome sick policy, 6 months full pay 6 half if on long term sick. We got paid for every shift we were off.

Now we have one months full pay and one month half (At the managers discretion) and don't get paid for the first 3 days off sick.

We lost the former because of **** takers :mad:, I've had about 3 weeks off in over 21 years.

I've had to put aside 3 days pay to cover the mortgage if I ever have to go sick.

Be careful what you take off sick as you may lose it.

Soldato
if i can get into work i go in, simple reason being we're monitored for how much time we have off in a rolling 6 month period, if thats met you get warnings etc, so knowing my luck i'd get something that would knock me about that badly i'd get pulled in by the h/r jobsworths, while the ******* that abuse the system get away with skiving off.

Back
Top Bottom