How responsive are you to adverts?

Soldato
Ignore 'internet adverts' completely unless its for a game or something I actually want, I watch TV sometimes while on the PC I just zone out those adverts

Im like these 2 with ads :)

Associate
I am very responsive, as soon as they come on I mute the TV.

:) I'm a channel hopper. Tragically i've degree in marketing but despise it in every way shape and form.

It does work though for the masses in general. I was only reading yesterday bout how gopro became defacto head mounted camera despite contour being better in pretty much every way at the time.

Associate
I work in the industry and I can honestly say that 99% of those of you who believe you are unresponsive to advertising are totally kidding yourself. Very few of our clients judge the success of display advertising on a cost-per-click basis, instead opting for more awareness focussed campaigns working on a cost-per-mille impression basis. You don't need to engage with a banner ad in order for it to make the company money.

Using adblockers only damages the profits of the publishers which host the advertising, not the agencies or their clients. We don't pay for impressions which aren't served. Next time you're gleefully absorbing content from YouTube, perhaps you'll consider a scenario where everyone used a similar tool? Businesses need to make a profit.

Man of Honour
I'd like to think that I'm immune to adverts, but I doubt if anyone really is. It's disturbingly easy to manipulate people's minds with nothing more than static images, even to the extent of implanting false memories.

The best known example is probably the Bugs Bunny experiment. There's a brief summary here:

http://www.unisci.com/stories/20012/0613011.htm

A simple static image with no message was enough to create false memories, let alone simply influence someone, in 40% of the test subjects. Add sound and video deliberately created to manipulate people, i.e. an advert, and it's unlikely that anyone is completely unaffected.

EDIT: About ad blockers...I'll accept being advertised at as the cost of some stuff. What I won't accept is giving free reign to dozens of sites to run who knows what scripts doing who knows what, merely to see one page on one site. So I run a security plugin which blocks scripts from other sites unless I allow them, which has the side effect of blocking most adverts. I'm sure I'm not the only person running an "ad blocker" at least partly for that reason. In any case, there is a degree of conflict. Advertising at someone is an attempt to manipulate their mind in order to extract money from them, which is at least to some extent a hostile act. Blocking ads is therefore at least to some extent an act of self defence. Ads online are also hugely inconvenient to the targets, so it's not surprising that many of the targets block them or at least take some steps to reduce the inconvenience. So, for example, I'll allow short video ads before a game or video I want but I won't allow more intrusive ads.

Last edited:
Associate
That's another thing about car adverts.

You can sometimes recall an individual ad, but do you remember which car company the ad was for? Ie, the zipline one. I remember the ad, but have no idea what company it was for :p

The only car ad I remember properly is the Gene Kelly dancing in the rain one, by VW. That was a good advert. Even then, I'm no more likely to buy a VW because of it.

That's a good point. Because I have no idea of the make.
Maybe it's lodged in my sub conscience.

Even so. My purchase depends on the condition of the car and price.
Not because I saw a man zip line on tv.
This is why I hate ads with a passion sometimes.

We have it lucky compared to those americans though.
Poor sods actually like the ads at the superbowl ect.

Associate
We're getting closer to the Americans though. I'm sure advert breaks are getting longer or more often.

I'm also increasingly annoyed by mini ads during programs.

Now for Sky news weather, queue sponsored by Quatar airways ad

Now for Sky news sports, queue sponsored by........

**** off:mad:

Man of Honour
I ignore almost all of them if they're not blocked. When it comes to recorded content then it is just fast forward to skip them.

It's however I wouldn't mind some advertising if it was truly targeted.
It's hard to find new films/music etc, especially if it's straight to DVD/streaming.
And new products I didn't know existed but only if I'm interested in that sort of thing to start with.

General adverts on TV/internet are totally pointless, 98% of the time I'm not in the least bit interested, 1.9999% is things which you would and already know about with out advertising. Like blockbuster movies. And 0.0001% get something which is actually useful, and I wouldn't have known about? Usually new TV series.

Soldato
Internet ads get zero attention from me.

TV ads are not so much of an issue now as its all downloaded or on Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom