Boomerang rentals possibly compromised

Soldato
To me it's how a company deals with problems when they go wrong which is more important than the original issue if they hold their hands up and say "Yeah, we messed up" but in Boomerang's case they just don't seem bothered at all. I'm definitely never using them again. I've not had one email from them to inform me of any possible security breach. Absolutely shambolic.

Soldato
And in more news I have just gone to cancel and been presented with this:

Well that's all well and good but not replying to emails and not taking responsibility for your balls up is a sign of a company with terrible customer service.

I got that message too and when clicking past it the screen just goes blank. So I can't cancel right now unless I phone up.

Not that it matters as they can't take any more payments so I'll try again in a few days and if it's still not working just phone up to cancel.

Account is on hold anyway so all but cancelled.

Love that their only e-mail to me was saying they couldn't get this months payment!!! Well no ****

Soldato
I've still got one of their games, I emailed them a while back and haven't heard a peep. I'm sure I'll be hearing from them soon when they cannot take the money though....

Soldato
Well I have been on to the bank. Apparently they CAN take payment without your card details if you have paid them before. They just use your card details to request payment from your account rather than take it from your card. I cant remember what the term he used was. but you HAVE to cancel your account if you do not want payments to go out again not just assume, well I have a new card and they don't have that number so they cant take payment.

Have a look.

Associate
I believe Boomerangs official stance is still that they found no breach.

By the way, anyone who is struggling to contact them via the website, try contacting them on Twitter, the help is pretty good. You can cancel/upgrade/whatever so use that if need be.

Soldato
If you subscribe to a service with a debit card, cancelling that card will not cancel the subscription. This will roll over on to your new card as the actual account details are the same. You have given permsiion to have payment taken from your account not your card, your card is just the carrier of those funds, cancelled or current.

Soldato
Soooo they have found no breach and they are just changing their entire payment system for fun? Oh and then completely ignore customers that request information via the website or email.. Its that I find most infuriating!

Soldato
I've had three seemingly automated emails from BG today, the first telling me my account has been suspended the other two emails stating that they were unable to take the cash.

I wrote to them over two weeks ago regarding the situation and other alternative methods of payment. They ignored me, I didn't want to cancel my membership just yet but obviously don't want to re-give them my card details.

They take the proverbial, I don't even want to keep the game that I've got cause; it's rubbish anyway.

I knew their automated service would contact me before their shady customer services did.

Soldato
They have sent 5 e-mails to me saying they can't take payment even though I have told them 2 times now that I wish to cancel my account.
I'll try calling them to see if that gets the cancellation pushed through.

I'm not even cancelling because of this issue really. I would have like...but overall I'm cancelling because there are no games of interest to me currently announced.
I have become very bored with modern gaming and thus if it's not worth buying, it's not worth playing from this point on.

That free time can be better spent playing good games from the past. Busy with Suikoden 2 at the min. So awesome.

Soldato
As if they can't get any worst, they're taking excessive payments from some current subscribers, and emailing up to 20 times over a space of a few hours for any payment rejected.

Hope you guys checked your account and see if all details tally.

I am just waiting for all my personal data to be purged on their end - been over 3 weeks since my request and I've sent my final request quoting the Data Protection Principle 5 and 6. Lets see how long it takes for them, again.

All I did was a trial and it's been a complete farce ever since the first week of January.

Soldato
I tried a bunch of times to cancel online and it never worked then they started saying payment rejected and from this point I could no longer cancel online so I tried to contact them a few times to just cancel and just got blanked.

I could have pursued it but in the end I just paid the £10 as a 1 off via paypal and got them to send Evolve out as my mate had it.

I've now got a reminder in my phone to send this back, remove all other games then cancel before it renews again.

Seemed like the quickest way to get something sorted out and also get a game i didn't want to buy.

I actually joined up to paramount games rental to try them out but you start on a 14 day trial period and that doesn't include 2 games. They phoned me up and seemed helpful in making sure Dying Light would be sent out to me on release as the free trial will end 1 day before that.

I told them to just let the trial run as there are no older games I want.

Bit of a shame they haven't got a site where you can add/remove games but they seem on top of the CS from my first dealings with them so as long as they expand their online system if their customer base grows.

Either way I only need to rent until Bloodborne hits as I'm buying that I won't touch another game for a LONG time anyway.

Associate
I'll try calling them to see if that gets the cancellation pushed through.
Why have you waited so long to call? I realise some people prefer not to actually 'speak' with people, but when it comes to money you just need to sort it out.

I called Bommerang a week ago as I wanted to move down a tier, but was unable to do this online due to their issues.

The phone was answered immediately by a knowledgable and friendly guy, and I was dealt with quickly.

Just call!

Soldato
Why have you waited so long to call? I realise some people prefer not to actually 'speak' with people, but when it comes to money you just need to sort it out.

I called Bommerang a week ago as I wanted to move down a tier, but was unable to do this online due to their issues.

The phone was answered immediately by a knowledgable and friendly guy, and I was dealt with quickly.

Just call!

Yeah I usually do it was just one of those things - never got around to it due to various reasons of being super busy, forgetting, their site being blocked at work (where I sort 99% of my stuff like this out).

Plus I did want to wait and see what my mates were doing in the end. I decided to cancel and put the initial request through but sat on it then kind of changed my mind last week so I could rent Evolve and just get 1 more month out of it.

Having played Evolve, I can probably get a dozen hours out of it which is about 10-14 days for me so should work out well in the end.

This is a good reminder to myself though that I take far too much on in my life and 1 or 2 little things sometimes slip through.
I'll have to streamline some things.

Evolve did turn up the day after I paid for the month though so can't knock that. At least I'll get value from the payment.

Back
Top Bottom