Any ravers in here?

Associate
Psy trance parties in London back in 00's were so much better than anything else. Lack of drunks was such a breath of fresh air. Always had a soft spot for breakbeat especially from the late 90's to early 00's in its various forms except drum and base/ jungle, never liked.

yup, breakbeat was my go to in the 90's and 00's as well. Went to lots of psytrance parties in the mid to ate nineties in Germany, loved it. As you said no drunks and dancing my ti*s off for 3 days straight! :D

I did a lot of hard house venues from the early 2000s - Sundissential, Godskitchen, Polysexual, Tidy Weekender etc. Last event I went to was B2T (Bounce 2 This) at Rainbow Warehouse in late 2009. Then I got made redundant and been in lower paid jobs since, so clubbing has been off the cards for years now.

However, I would like to go to the Godskitchen Valentine's event at the Rainbow Warehouse which is in a couple of weeks time. To save creating a new thread for it, will I still get away with casual clothes - jeans/trainers/tshirt?

OP, 22 y/o, doing dubstep venues? I feel like grandpa here :p

Associate
OP
I did a lot of hard house venues from the early 2000s - Sundissential, Godskitchen, Polysexual, Tidy Weekender etc. Last event I went to was B2T (Bounce 2 This) at Rainbow Warehouse in late 2009. Then I got made redundant and been in lower paid jobs since, so clubbing has been off the cards for years now.

However, I would like to go to the Godskitchen Valentine's event at the Rainbow Warehouse which is in a couple of weeks time. To save creating a new thread for it, will I still get away with casual clothes - jeans/trainers/tshirt?

OP, 22 y/o, doing dubstep venues? I feel like grandpa here :p

Dubstep back in 2010-2011 was the ****, i still go few raves here and there, ERGH in 12 dayss thouggh! https://www.facebook.com/events/1523779764571699/?fref=ts

Man of Honour
Got into jungle in about 94 and for the next few years but then moved to the US where the scene was rubbish and the last few years have had a real resurgence of interest in dnb, as well dub step and drum step

Associate
yup, breakbeat was my go to in the 90's and 00's as well. Went to lots of psytrance parties in the mid to ate nineties in Germany, loved it. As you said no drunks and dancing my ti*s off for 3 days straight! :D

3 day parties are very normal, even now.

Psy Trance is bigger in Germany now than it ever was. Every weekend in Hamburg there are at east 3 TOP parties happening, with many more smaller ones. At LEAST 1 and a half days long. Ive been here for 4 years now and I really know, you cant get this in England. Ive partied in Bristol and London lots, it just isnt the same.

Drum and bass doesnt exist really over here, there are some parties in Bremen. There is a big Techno scene obviously, but the people aren't for me. However there is a nice 3 day party in Berlin every 2 weeks which is fun for hard stomping techno.

Ive never partied in Hannover, but the whole Rhine area (Cologne, Munster, Dusseldorf) has a lot going on in the psy world.

So if anyone comes over and need tips...just give me a message ;)

Soldato
This is proper rave music -

I started going to raves in about 1992 and carried on until about 1998 when I got a bit bored of it all. Moved from hardcore into jungle music during that time. Still listen to it now, but it feels a bit stagnant. There are a few good DnB nights in Reading at the moment which I frequent. Going to see Fabio on the 27th. http://www.purpleturtlebar.com/reading/event/subfactory-10th-birthday-fabio/

Etherwood is good though.

Soldato
Last year of the 80's through to 95, I was on tv a couple of times being cast as a scary raver on the news.

I've changed so much I only came into this section looking to see if there was a weekend warriors thread because some of the helmets in the Arthurian episode were great.

Last edited:
Right-i-o, I've just booked myself a ticket for Godskitchen on 14th Feb, which is at the Rainbow Warehouse. Might be a one-off because if memory serves, Gods is usually at Air. Is their music policy still mainly trance? Haven't been clubbing since 2009, and I want to catch a few venues in my old age before I pop.

Associate
Kinda into hardhouse and hardcore. Been to WestFest few times (2009 - 2013) but the 2 1/2 hour drive home after dancing like a loon got too tiring :(
Also frequented Slinky (RIP) @ Opera House before it stopped.
Shame since Bournemouth had quite cool underground hard house scene
Also Hardcore Heavens down the coast.
Need to get out more didn't do a single rave last year :(

Associate
I missed it all at the time.

End of the 80's to early/mid 90's I was into Indie pop and Metal, and looked with scorn upon the rave scene, just a bunch of druggies with repetitive beats I thought.

Then in '94 I started getting into it, started listening to the Essential Mix and hoovering up albums of various dance genres to see what I liked, settled on Jungle and Trance for the most part.

I don't know why I was so late. I've always liked electronic music since Numan broke the charts, and had loads of albums by Cabaret Voltaire, Jean Michael Jarre, Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk. I just didn't see the progression.

By that time I felt I was too old to actually take part (going on 30), so just resigned myself to listening to it at home.

Now i'm nearly 50, and still love tance and hardcore. Right this minute I'm listening to a bunch of Dougal/Dreamscape tapes. I'm stuck with the old school I don't listen much to what's coming out now, certainly not now Kutski isn't on R1 any more. I should I just don't have the time to seek it out what with kids and what-not.

It will remain my eternal regret though, I missed it the first time.

Last edited:
Associate
Right-i-o, I've just booked myself a ticket for Godskitchen on 14th Feb, which is at the Rainbow Warehouse. Might be a one-off because if memory serves, Gods is usually at Air. Is their music policy still mainly trance?

Yeah, just check the lineup - pretty much all trance.

If I were you, I'd spend most of the night in the 2nd room. Mark Sherry will be banging, and Neptune Project are awesome although they'll probably only be on for an hour considering the number of acts, which is a shame as they're masters at building a 4 or 5 hour set and taking you on a journey.

edit: here's a great example of what you're in store for if you catch Neptune Project... https://soundcloud.com/neptune-project/neptune-project-4hr-set-live-at-journey-cardiff-06-02-15

Last edited:
Associate
I missed it all at the time.

End of the 80's to early/mid 90's I was into Indie pop and Metal, and looked with scorn upon the rave scene, just a bunch of druggies with repetitive beats I thought.

Then in '94 I started getting into it, started listening to the Essential Mix and hoovering up albums of various dance genres to see what I liked, settled on Jungle and Trance for the most part.

I don't know why I was so late. I've always liked electronic music since Numan broke the charts, and had loads of albums by Cabaret Voltaire, Jean Michael Jarre, Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk. I just didn't see the progression.

By that time I felt I was too old to actually take part (going on 30), so just resigned myself to listening to it at home.

Now i'm nearly 50, and still love tance and hardcore. Right this minute I'm listening to a bunch of Dougal/Dreamscape tapes. I'm stuck with the old school I don't listen much to what's coming out now, certainly not now Kutski isn't on R1 any more. I should I just don't have the time to seek it out what with kids and what-not.

It will remain my eternal regret though, I missed it the first time.
Looking back I'm glad I did indulge in a few raves, it was an experience I'll never forget, and, hand on heart, I abstained from any illegal subs because the music was my drug (such a cliche!).

A couple of memories that really stand out:

Betting my mate that he wouldn't stick his head right up against the massive block of speakers at a rave. He did. And a guy next to us betting him that he wouldn't do it again. He did.

Coming out of Rhythm Station in Aldershot after a 9pm-6am happy hardcore event, sweat soaked t-shirt tucked into my sweat soaked jeans, to find 3 inches of snow had fallen overnight. Getting a lift from complete strangers to Fleet services for a cup of tea, then walking what seemed like miles to the train station in my sweat soaked trainers. In the snow.

Good times!:D

Back
Top Bottom