Magic the Gathering (MtG)

Associate
Anyone play MTGO? I am pretty appalled at the outdated client. Even the beta one sucks. I don't want it as flashy as Magic 2014 but still. It's yuk.

Looking forward to FNM. Has been a while and I need to sort out my deck and maybe actually get a sideboard going as well.

This is why i don't play MTGO. Its awful (and that's being nice)

F2F much better. PTQ in Manchester this weekend. Cant wait :) :)

Associate
Anyone play MTGO? I am pretty appalled at the outdated client. Even the beta one sucks. I don't want it as flashy as Magic 2014 but still. It's yuk.

Looking forward to FNM. Has been a while and I need to sort out my deck and maybe actually get a sideboard going as well.

I've played it for around 10 years, been infinite for around 6. I mean, the current v3 is not flashy but at least it kind of works... It has lots of issues, but all it needs really is a couple of bug fixes and perhaps a SLIGHT Visual overhaul (The current battle scene is good and functional - just what you want from a CCG. The beta does Everything wrong in this regard - it adds a lot of flash which detracts from the gameplay).

Shame the beta is even worse, it's a complete unplayable mess in my mind. Just such a basic thing that every single tournament you go in has its own popup windows which you are unable to Close without dropping the tournament boggles my mind... Perhaps a sneaky solution of getting rid of the multitablers, I don't really know...

Soldato
I started with a intro and then if you go to FNM you will find people just throw loads of cards at you like commons and uncommons.

Saying that it probably is a good starting point as you will get box to store the cards. 4 booster packs so you night get a few good pulls.

Go for it. Buy some sleeves as well.

Associate
I used to play this a lot at school. My decks should be round my parents place somewhere.

In recent times all I have the time/money to do is play a few games on Magic 2014 vs AI.

Caporegime
This has come about because a friend is in to it, he popped round last night and taught me how to play, I then downloaded Magic 2014 - doesn't seem like the games take too long?

Permabanned
I still have around 6 or 7 decks sitting in my cupboard. No geeks around where I live so the only chance I get to play is either on the mobile Magic 2014 game or use some 3rd party MTGO tool to play what decks I fancy (I played that as well, but like everyone else has said it looks awful).

@ PiKe - Games can last 1-2 turns if you have the deck for it (I had a deck that could win 2nd turn around 30% of the time that was pretty cheap to make). Sometimes, games can last 20 minutes or so depending on what decks are being used.

Associate
I used to play with my uni friends, but don't live near any of them so fell out of the habit.

I had a few fun decks such as soldiers+equipment, and blue/red wizards, but my main competitive deck was based on Arcbound Ravager/Skullclamp which both got banned in the end!

Associate
@ PiKe - Games can last 1-2 turns if you have the deck for it (I had a deck that could win 2nd turn around 30% of the time that was pretty cheap to make). Sometimes, games can last 20 minutes or so depending on what decks are being used.

Is this standard format? Such a change from the days of Ivory Tower and Zuran Orbs. It got quicker when Alliances came out. But when I look now the game does seem to have a lightning quick pace to when I stopped playing (I think around Urza's Saga).

Associate
Competetively:
Current standard tends to be turn 5-6 for the serious players in my experience, but that could be a matter of 10 minutes if both players know their stuff.

Modern, at tier 1, leans more towards Turn 3 (reliable) being the earliest wins, with some jammy T2 wins.

Legacy is pretty much anything goes, so can get quite crazy/quick very easily.

EDH ('elder dragon highlander' a.k.a. 'commander) games however are a different story - it's a multiplayer variant with the focus on 'awesome' rather than 'winning' - we've had 4 player games go over 2 hours on multiple occasions.

Permabanned
@ Dominic - My deck was standard for a short while, but a few cards in it quickly got made illegal as they were quite OP. Not played any recently however, but mockingbird seems on the money.

+1 for commander, is great fun.

Associate
I just downloaded MTGO, 10 years since I last had a go. Fortunately I have been able to borrow a load of Thassas and Master of Waves etc from an old friend. Just as well really, because even in 'Just for fun' you come up with decks stuffed full of rares and mythics 90% of the time, so if you can't beat them, join them or it's little fun.

I don't know if I will bother buying many cards, even non-standard pauper looks excessively expensive to be competitive.

Soldato
anyone playing with the new fate reforged set? I've been having some really fun drafts at my local shop, seems like a really fun set, plenty of variation and no obvious choices! I'm looking forward to Dragons of tarkir and the newly announced MTG: Origins - anyone think this is a set up for the speculated movie?

Soldato
I first started Magic last season and currently haven't ventured into the new season. I'm interested in doing so but I'm unsure which route to take.

I started my first season by purchasing the Deck Builders Tool Kit. Would this still be the best option for a new(ish) player for a new season? Or purchasing individual packs?

Soldato
anyone playing with the new fate reforged set? I've been having some really fun drafts at my local shop, seems like a really fun set, plenty of variation and no obvious choices! I'm looking forward to Dragons of tarkir and the newly announced MTG: Origins - anyone think this is a set up for the speculated movie?

Origins sounds great. There is a rumour that the planeswalker cards will be double sided - the "pre-planeswalker" legendary creature on one side and the traditional planeswalker on the other side - hence, the "origins" aspect.

Either way, should be good fun. It's the last traditional "core" set as well.

Back
Top Bottom