Magic the Gathering (MtG)

Soldato
The bad thing about Magic is it's annoyingly good whilst designed purely to make you spend far too much money :p

I got into it last year and started with a deck builders toolkit and a couple of extra boosters, that was enough to start with, then I started buying more boosters, then I bought a Khans of Tarkir booster box, then pre-ordered the Fate Reforged box and went to the pre-release...

I would've pre-ordered a Dragons of Tarkir box as well but just bought a house so need to wait to see if I'll have any money...

Fate seems good though, not had the chance/desire yet to really sit down and build new decks/modify my existing ones but definitely got some ideas looking at the cards as I opened the boosters. Manifest could be fun in a deck built around it, also Bolster for Abzan.

Did actually tweak an old black-white life gain deck yesterday into an Abzan deck, seems to have lost out a bit on the life gain side of things but it ended up being a fairly strong deck in general whilst playing in the evening.

Soldato
After more than 20 years playing Magic I'm starting to sell up my collection, and I'm kind of in the reverse position to you: if I get 75% list I'll probably be buying a house. :D

Soldato
Origins sounds great. There is a rumour that the planeswalker cards will be double sided - the "pre-planeswalker" legendary creature on one side and the traditional planeswalker on the other side - hence, the "origins" aspect.

Either way, should be good fun. It's the last traditional "core" set as well.

Which is the best news of the lot because core sets have never really been what they were meant to be and we're a bit him drum for existing players with most of the reprints already. I'm not so excited to know that my cards will be unplayable in standard 6 months sooner when the new 18 month cycle kicks in though...

Soldato
Which is the best news of the lot because core sets have never really been what they were meant to be and we're a bit him drum for existing players with most of the reprints already. I'm not so excited to know that my cards will be unplayable in standard 6 months sooner when the new 18 month cycle kicks in though...

Indeed, the M14 and M15 Chandra cards were identical.

I assume the smaller blocks are to get us to spend more money but it will shake up Standard a bit more which can only be a good thing. Given the popularity of Modern, our older cards will still have some value after the cycle.

Soldato
After more than 20 years playing Magic I'm starting to sell up my collection, and I'm kind of in the reverse position to you: if I get 75% list I'll probably be buying a house. :D

If you're selling up PM me if you have a list, might be interested in buying a bunch of it.

Soldato
Indeed, the M14 and M15 Chandra cards were identical.

I assume the smaller blocks are to get us to spend more money but it will shake up Standard a bit more which can only be a good thing. Given the popularity of Modern, our older cards will still have some value after the cycle.

without a doubt its to get us to spend more money, I expect it'll lower the value of the second hand market as well or at the very least it'll mean those cards that don't go for £10+ will drop drastically in value much sooner as their life cycle sees a six month cut.

The bad thing about Magic is it's annoyingly good whilst designed purely to make you spend far too much money :p

I got into it last year and started with a deck builders toolkit and a couple of extra boosters, that was enough to start with, then I started buying more boosters, then I bought a Khans of Tarkir booster box, then pre-ordered the Fate Reforged box and went to the pre-release...

tell me about it, i ended up buying two booster boxes of fate reforged last week! I did pull 2 Ugin's one after the other from the first box which was pretty cool but still...it's not a cheap hobby at all!

Last edited:
Soldato
the last MTG cards i bought were back when Mrcadian Masques had just been released. IIRC was a long time ago! Just bought myself a couple of the newer release booster packs to see if it re-ignite's my passion to play again :D

Soldato
I guess your going for a Jeskai prowess tempo/combo deck?

Without spending £££ I'd swap out Jeskai Barricade (no bounce combos?) Taigam's Scheming (poor + no super delve combo) and throw Honor's Reward in the sideboard. A full play set of defiant strike would be good, 3 Disdainful Stroke with 3 Stubborn Denial is a nice number of counters to have in the 75.

Have a look at some of these.

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death (still cheap at a few shops)
Jeskai Elder (Underrated, works v.well with Aqueous Form and delve card draw spells)
Seeker of the Way (A bit pricey)
Monastery Swiftspear (How much? :D)
Temur Battle Rage (More double strike ...with trample!)
Feat of Resistance/God's willing.
Treasure cruise.
Wild Slash.

Permabanned
I end up spending maybe £25 (start deck and 5 boosters) every 6 months maybe on magic.

Me and 5 other mates all each get one of the new start decks and then we get 5 more boosters. You throw one booster in the prize pile (3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd) for a best of 3 against everyone with your starter deck. Then you throw another booster in for best of 3 and you draft with 4 of the boosters each. Then, we have another where you trade with each other from your draft deck to amp. your starter deck. Prizes there, everyone throws in 2 golds (or 4 silvers) from your collection.

Lasts the entire day as you end up playing like 30 matches!

Soldato
ive just got into this. think im going to play standard and modern formats.

so far i have purchases the fate reforged fat pack and a few rares of ebay that i have read about.

my plan is to control early game with blues and then dominate with greens. sound tactic? any advice would be greatfull.

Associate
A few friends & I are starting to get into this, I was wondering how you guys tend to buy you cards? When I played L5r in the past I used to always buy each starter deck & then 2 booster displays. Do you guys do similar with Magic & as July is Origins is it worth buying all the starters & boosters for the core & expans?

Edit: We'll likely play freeform most of the time & some 2v2. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
After posting in this thread ages ago, back on the first page, I've just moved house and found all my magic cards - there are tons of them. I think I'll put them all on Ebay and get rid of them - no point keeping them if I don't play any more!

Associate
Ah fellow L5R player :) Last I played that was.... Jade Edition? Man

EDIT: Looked up where that is timeline wise, maaaaan I missed out a lot lol.

It's been a few years since I played. I used to love it but work got in the way & at the time there wasn't really a local L5r scene and travelling around 70 miles for some games with other folks we knew was a pita.

I moved to Ireland & there isn't much of an L5r scene where I am & all the cards I ever bought went byebye with my ex. :p

Magic seems like something fun to pickup. I just need to figure out what to buy! :D

Soldato
As a new player you'll need some basic land, you can probably pick up some packs on ebay or brand new you're looking at Fat Packs I believe contain 80 basic land (so 16 per colour I guess, not enough for a mono-colour deck but will do for any 2 or more colour deck)

Then kinda depends how competitive you want to be in a sense, I bought booster boxes for Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged, in the middle of a house move but will probably pick up another box for Dragons of Tarkir as well. The other option is to buy individual cards.

Booster boxes are nice as a new player as it just expands your collection, you'll get plenty of commons, reasonable amount of uncommons and enough rares to make an interesting but probably not overly competitive deck.

Buying individual cards will get very competitive decks but the cost will be high when you start getting 4 of a ~£20 mythic + the other 56 cards in the deck :p

After a few boosters boxes I'm starting to consider buying the odd few cards individually to boost what I've got through the boxes.

Another option if you're not interested in 'standard' decks (newer cards) is to buy boxes of older cards on ebay, bit of a lucky dip (but that's part of magic in general...) but I did it once and got ~570 older cards that have featured in several of my decks.

Associate
I just need to figure out what to buy! :D

Depends on where/who you will be playing with.

I play with just my mates, as all of the local game shops I have ever played at have people who play with £100+ decks, in which I just hate to play against as a person who only has a £20 deck.

So when my mates and I decide to play, we all get a starter deck each and enough boosters for a draft and play like that. That way, no one has an ultra die hard deck that makes it no fun.

Fat packs are always good to get mind and some of the starter decks are nice, if not very competitive.

Associate
Can anyone suggest some places to try and sell a bunch of MtG cards. I've got about 1,500 cards floating about that I could do with getting rid of but they're an assortment of stuff and I don't want the hassle of splitting them up and selling them piece by piece. Also I'd rather avoid 'the bay' if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom