• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Didn't people used to turn off the Turbo when clocking i7-920s? Not sure why exactly, why it's probably a hangover from that.
Less variability probably. If you're doing stability testing it's easier to see if a CPU is stable at a single multiplier than 2 or 3 different ones (e.g. 21x for 2+ cores, 22x for 1 core).

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I had turbo turned off for my 920 setup. The thinking was to achieve the highest clock that was stable and stick to that... a turbo boost (e.g. from 4.0 up to 4.2 or higher) would push things too far and result in a crash.

Permabanned
i have turbo on and EIST on, EIST makes it run at constant turbo until the threshold temp is hit. my system hit a shocking 61c after 20 mins of IBT so never drop below 22x and in programs that use under 4 core's Turbo go's to 23x

Soldato
I think I managed to get 200 MHz BCLK stable by whacking up the QPI voltage to 1.33 V and resetting the PPL voltage but I can't go much further. 215 MHz won't boot and 210 MHz produces IBT instability. I also nudged up the DRAM voltage to 1.66 V (from 1.64 V) although I have no idea what the actual voltage is. CPU-Z says my RAM is rated for 1.5 V which is definitely wrong.

Might be able to get 200x22 but I'm not sure. If so, that's 4.4 GHz but only when not under really high load due to Asus throttling. I currently have the VCore at 1.33 V too but I doubt it has to be that high.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's fixed at 4ghz not really sussed out how to work this bios properly to be honest.

Also I'm at 1.275v with llc on so it's more like 1.3v under load sorry for the duff info.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Chaps, just picked up one of these X5650 processors.

I'm trying to establish my highest BCLK, isolating the ram and CPU by setting a low multiplier for both. I'm currently at 185, which needs a QPI VTT 1.3v to be prime stable, any higher than 185 and it will BSOD :(
Rather than just increasing the QPI voltage further I just wanted to check to see if any of you guys have any tips on increasing my BCLK.

Interestingly with just 1.2v vcore the chip will prime at 4.07Ghz, when setting the multiplier to 22. It just feels like my QPI voltage will be the limiting factor for my overclock not vcore.
Under full load I'm seeing 53C on air cooling, so there must be more in it!

I'm using a P6X58D-E with latest bios and 3x4gb G.Skill DDR1600.

Appreciate any help :)

Associate
Hi Chaps, just picked up one of these X5650 processors.

I'm trying to establish my highest BCLK, isolating the ram and CPU by setting a low multiplier for both. I'm currently at 185, which needs a QPI VTT 1.3v to be prime stable, any higher than 185 and it will BSOD :(
Rather than just increasing the QPI voltage further I just wanted to check to see if any of you guys have any tips on increasing my BCLK.

Interestingly with just 1.2v vcore the chip will prime at 4.07Ghz, when setting the multiplier to 22. It just feels like my QPI voltage will be the limiting factor for my overclock not vcore.
Under full load I'm seeing 53C on air cooling, so there must be more in it!

I'm using a P6X58D-E with latest bios and 3x4gb G.Skill DDR1600.

Appreciate any help :)

Are you sure you aren't just running into instability with high RAM frequencies? Try dropping the RAM multi to check?

Associate
Hi Genoma, I selected the lowest ram multiplier, its running at 1113mhz with a bclk of 185.
I also selected a cpu multiplier of 12, so ram and cpu were clocking low while I was testing for the max bclk.

I'm currently testing the rams max frequency and I'm up to 1483mhz, oddly I cant get the ram to run at its rated speed of 1600mhz with 9-9-9-24 2t 1.5v on this set-up, pc wont even post!

This is the settings for the highest stable bclk I can get, ht enabled.....

CPU Ratio Setting......................[12.0]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Disabled]
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[Enabled]
BCLK Frequency.........................[185]
PCIE Frequency.........................[100]
DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1113MHz]
UCLK Frequency.........................[Auto]
QPI Link Data Rate.....................[Auto]

CPU Voltage Control....................[Manual]
CPU Voltage............................[1.2125]
CPU PLL Voltage........................[Auto]
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage..................[1.3]
IOH Voltage............................[Auto]
IOH PCIE Voltage.......................[Auto]
ICH Voltage............................[Auto]
ICH PCIE Voltage.......................[Auto]
DRAM Bus Voltage.......................[1.5]

Hoping I'm missing something simple here.

Cheers

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Your QPI link and Uncore at default will start to cause issues at high bclk.

Someone will advise what to set them to shortly, can't quite recall. Think one is 36x rather than auto which makes a big difference to stability.

Soldato
That's still a nice balance of speed/volts.
Agreed. Personally, if I can get 200x22 working then I'll obviously go with that but if I can't go above 200x20 then I'm just gonna go back down to 182x22 because the voltages needed for that (especially QPI voltage) are about 0.1 V less.

Hi Genoma, I selected the lowest ram multiplier, its running at 1113mhz with a bclk of 185.
I also selected a cpu multiplier of 12, so ram and cpu were clocking low while I was testing for the max bclk.

I'm currently testing the rams max frequency and I'm up to 1483mhz, oddly I cant get the ram to run at its rated speed of 1600mhz with 9-9-9-24 2t 1.5v on this set-up, pc wont even post!

This is the settings for the highest stable bclk I can get, ht enabled.....

BCLK Frequency.........................[185]
DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1113MHz]
UCLK Frequency.........................[Auto]

Hoping I'm missing something simple here.

Cheers
Are you sure your RAM is rated for 1.5 V? Back when X58 was new, DDR3 RAM was typically rated for 1.65 V. Also, set your QPI link data rate to the lowest of the three values when overclocking - if you're using a BCLK of 180+ MHz then the lowest selectable speed (36x) will be higher than the usual speed for the CPU so you don't want to push it further.

Last edited:
Soldato
The QPI Link Data Rate needs to be x36. My i7-920 runs at 4GHz like that, never had an issue. Uncore frequency for my i7 is x13 (some rule about (2*something)+1 MAX).

Having those set properly is very important, and makes a big difference on your overclock iirc. I actually have photos of my BIOS settings for 4GHz (i7-920) if anyone wants a starting point.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers guys! I did a little googling last night after Ste gave me a few pointers and I noticed P6X58D users seem to set their uncore frequency exactly double that of their ram.
I did just that and was able to zip straight up to 200BCLK with no additional QPI VTT, I'm sure I could wind the QPI voltage back from 1.3v.

Now I just need to figure out how I can get my ram to post at its rated speed of 1600mhz.
DragonQ, this is the ram I'm using.....

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl9t-12gbrl#tabs-spec

So these are the ram testing settings I was using last night.....

BCLK Frequency.........................[133]
DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1603MHz]
UCLK Frequency.........................[3208Mhz]

I was hoping after lowering the UCLK frequency as discussed, the ram would play ball and post at its rated speed. Unfortunately it did not.

Any suggestions regards to the ram?

Thanks again for your help guys.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom