Interview help!

Associate
Hello there,

A few months ago I posted a dilemma in which I felt undervalued, under utilised etc etc at my current workplace.

After months of searching I took on board the advice I was given and I've managed to land an interview!

I'm a little bit over qualified for the job in terms of experience, however I've never had the qualifications to back that up.

Although this (potentially) new job will provide the AAT qualifications I need and possible development into management accounting it is a step back pay grade wise for the short term.

I actually don't mind that thought though, although her indoors is going a bit mental (house, wedding, boring grown up stuff) as the position is at a new exciting fast growing tech company and a new challenge for me also.

My question here is this at 26 I've only had 3 jobs and my last interview for the current one I'm in which was 10 years ago! I'm rusty as hell and google has given me some right naff sites to look at, so guys and gals what the bleeding 'eck do I do!

Man of Honour
Well done on getting the interview, it's a good first step. There's quite a few questions you might need to answer before you'll get particularly meaningful help though.

Do you know how the interview is structured? e.g. is it competency based or is it just a general chat to find out a bit about you? Do you have to give a presentation? What examples can you call on to describe what you've done in your previous roles? Have you done any training that you can evidence to cover for a lack of formal certification?

What do you know about the company? Why do you want the job? If it's for less money then it should be fairly easy to say accurately that it's for a different challenge and that you would value the training/chance to demonstrate your skills but have a think about it.

Associate
OP
Well done on getting the interview, it's a good first step. There's quite a few questions you might need to answer before you'll get particularly meaningful help though.

Thanks, it's brutal out there, I never really truly understood how hard it could be for those long term out of work!

Do you know how the interview is structured? e.g. is it competency based or is it just a general chat to find out a bit about you? Do you have to give a presentation? What examples can you call on to describe what you've done in your previous roles? Have you done any training that you can evidence to cover for a lack of formal certification?

I think the interview will be personal and competency based and no I don't have to give a presentation. There's a few examples I can give from working with the sales and purchase ledger and doing month/year end stuff.
No formal training as such it was all taught by the various managers I've had at my time there.

What do you know about the company? Why do you want the job??

I know a fair bit about the company, they do some really interesting and cool stuff with LED screens and post production work at some pretty large venues and events.
I want the job for long-termism (that a word?) reasons the possibility of further development of myself and that of the company.

Associate
Having had a few people come in for interviews recently remember the interviewers are not trying to set you up. They want you to do well, sell yourself. A good interviewer will give you all the opportunities to answer the question, including a prompt if you need to answer the question in more detail.

Don't worry about asking them to repeat themselves or ask for clarification. I would rather someone ask the question and answer correctly than wing it and hope for the best.

Normally we ask a couple of questions allowing the candidate to sell themselves "why do you think you're the best person for the job" make sure you've researched the job, the company, align your attitudes to the companies goals and aspirations. Don't focus on the lack of qualifications, talk about your experience.

"Why do you want to work for us" career progression, training, working for a company where you like the products and their ethos.

Make sure you prepared the answers for the classic interview question "what are your 3 strengths and weaknesses"

Good luck

Associate
OP
Having had a few people come in for interviews recently remember the interviewers are not trying to set you up. They want you to do well, sell yourself. A good interviewer will give you all the opportunities to answer the question, including a prompt if you need to answer the question in more detail.

Don't worry about asking them to repeat themselves or ask for clarification. I would rather someone ask the question and answer correctly than wing it and hope for the best.

Normally we ask a couple of questions allowing the candidate to sell themselves "why do you think you're the best person for the job" make sure you've researched the job, the company, align your attitudes to the companies goals and aspirations. Don't focus on the lack of qualifications, talk about your experience.

"Why do you want to work for us" career progression, training, working for a company where you like the products and their ethos.

Make sure you prepared the answers for the classic interview question "what are your 3 strengths and weaknesses"

Good luck

Thanks very much gives me some things I can prepare for, also I seem to remember in school my teachers saying I should be asking a couple of questions is this still applicable and sensible?

Associate
Thanks very much gives me some things I can prepare for, also I seem to remember in school my teachers saying I should be asking a couple of questions is this still applicable and sensible?

Totally. Make sure that they're appropriate for the job, could be something like where do you see this job progressing, Is this a new role or has some one left the organisation. Don't be worried if the questions you prepare are answered in the interview. No question (with an explanation) is better than a random question.

Oh when answering the strengths and weaknesses, try and put a positivity spin about the weakness e.g my lack of formal accountancy training could be a weakness but I bring skills and experience plus a desire to become fully qualified.

Associate
OP
Totally. Make sure that they're appropriate for the job, could be something like where do you see this job progressing, Is this a new role or has some one left the organisation. Don't be worried if the questions you prepare are answered in the interview. No question (with an explanation) is better than a random question.

Oh when answering the strengths and weaknesses, try and put a positivity spin about the weakness e.g my lack of formal accountancy training could be a weakness but I bring skills and experience plus a desire to become fully qualified.

That's excellent! Thanks for the suggestion, I completely negated the fact that I could put a positive spin on my weaknesses.

Right now for a couple of swift drinks before bed to help me sleep, I haven't been this nervous for long, long time (the interview is in the afternoon and I don't plan on getting hammered lol)

Man of Honour
I think the interview will be personal and competency based and no I don't have to give a presentation. There's a few examples I can give from working with the sales and purchase ledger and doing month/year end stuff.
No formal training as such it was all taught by the various managers I've had at my time there.

If it's an entry level position (or thereabouts) then they probably won't expect you to have much relevant experience but if you can demonstrate some that could help you. It's definitely worth thinking about how you might have to explain taking a pay cut, maybe it's just a case of focusing on the development aspects of the role but do consider it.

I know a fair bit about the company, they do some really interesting and cool stuff with LED screens and post production work at some pretty large venues and events.
I want the job for long-termism (that a word?) reasons the possibility of further development of myself and that of the company.

Do you know what system(s) they use? In a general sense one accounting system tends to be much like another so provided you're reasonably quick to learn then you'll be able to pick it up swiftly enough but if you have already got experience with the system they use that would normally be a bonus I suspect.

Long-termism isn't a phrase I'd use but talking about it in terms of career aspirations and the potential you can see both for you and the company to develop is probably no bad thing - the chance to stretch yourself and learn new skills etc. Put it in your own words though and if long-termism is how you'd sell it then go with that.

I'm far from an expert and loopylou has given some useful tips but a few more I'd suggest:
  • Don't be afraid to take a pause if you need to think about the example - obviously there's a limit to this so don't push it too far but if you need 15-20 seconds to get your thoughts in order then that's better than rushing into an answer where you haven't thought about it.
  • Once you think you've finished the example then stop, don't keep rambling on to fill up the space, if the interviewer wants more information then they'll ask a follow up question.
  • Generally I'd suggest trying to make it into a friendly conversation as far as possible, it will depend on the format and the interviewer(s) but if you can it's good to get them to see you'll fit into the team well.
  • Think about what makes you unique but also what makes you a good fit for the role.
  • Whatever happens in the interview I'd recommend getting feedback, it's useful experience to have had a recent interview and whether you've got the job or not they can tell you where they think you came across strongly and where you were weaker.
  • Caveat to the above - remember it's just their opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean they're right in all circumstances, other people and other companies may have very different ideas for what they want and those opportunities could be great for you as well.

Associate
OP
Just wanted to post this as an update.
I absolutely nailed the first interview and was one of the contenders for the job.
I had my second interview yesterday and the nerves pretty much overcame me, to the point where I was struggling to identify the difference between a remittance and a statement.
However they still seem impressed (for what reason I don't know :)) and offered me the job on the spot.
Here's the best part more money than I'm on now, which is freaking fantastic and unexpected and comes with study support, so I'll be starting my new position middle March-ish.

So thanks guys for the advice guys, you really helped me!

Associate
Aye, congrats on the new job, I have an odd suspicion it is the place I am about to start at next week. I will be commuting up from Manchester.

Small world...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom