• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Disables GeForce GTX 900M Mobile GPU Overclocking with Driver Update

Caporegime
Does anyone here really game on a laptop? I have a fairly decent AMD laptop at work (which coincidentally I have never tried to OC) :D and have played a few of my steam games on it but even though the frames were fine and the settings were quite high, it never felt like it does playing on my Desktop.

Associate
I love the outrage over this - it doesn't really matter and you still have a product that actually does what it's supposed to.
I think if you are trying to squeeze 5% additional performance out of a gaming laptop, then you probably made the wrong choice to buy one in the first place.....

I have a gaming laptop with an 870M in it. I can play everything I want to play on it even Battlefield 4 with a high level of graphical detail and it runs nicely. The thought of overclocking it has never crossed my mind, and to be honest, it runs pretty hot already and I could probably do without the scorch marks on my desk.

Mobster
Soldato
I love the outrage over this - it doesn't really matter and you still have a product that actually does what it's supposed to.
I think if you are trying to squeeze 5% additional performance out of a gaming laptop, then you probably made the wrong choice to buy one in the first place.....

I have a gaming laptop with an 870M in it. I can play everything I want to play on it even Battlefield 4 with a high level of graphical detail and it runs nicely. The thought of overclocking it has never crossed my mind, and to be honest, it runs pretty hot already and I could probably do without the scorch marks on my desk.

Doesn't matter, haters need something to hate.

Soldato
Does anyone here really game on a laptop? I have a fairly decent AMD laptop at work (which coincidentally I have never tried to OC) :D and have played a few of my steam games on it but even though the frames were fine and the settings were quite high, it never felt like it does playing on my Desktop.

Gregster I'm kind of shocked at this statement, my 980M SLI setup is only scoring 10% less than your dual titan setup (on the list you curate), if that's not worth gaming on why is anyone bothering at all?

For air cooled dual card setups on an enthusiast website I am getting 31st with my notebook, beating out many 970 SLI desktop setups? Are you going around telling 970 owners to stop messing around with their cards because they are too low end to bother?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Gregster I'm kind of shocked at this statement, my 980M SLI setup is only scoring 10% less than your dual titan setup (on the list you curate), if that's not worth gaming on why is anyone bothering at all?

For air cooled dual card setups on an enthusiast website I am getting 31st with my notebook, beating out many 970 SLI desktop setups? Are you going around telling 970 owners to stop messing around with their cards because they are too low end to bother?

If I had what you have, I would game on it all the time bud. Awesome system and if you see what I had, you would be like me. :D

Soldato
20140320_125637_zps0cb4rz4j.jpg

So according to nvidia my system needs more fans?

20141117_222933_zps26ukq6hf.jpg

Also two 330w power supplies is not enough?

what the hell is that ?
:eek:

Soldato
fbv.png

Here is what I run my cards at 24/7, around the core clocks of a stock 980 desktop minus the shaders ofc and a little slower ram, at these clocks it should not be miles away from a 970 SLI setup except with a full 8GB of ram.

Associate
Actually, this issue REALLY annoys me. Here's the post I made on Anand.

This basically sums up my feeling in my usual way where I rant and don't really make 100% sense so please don't expect me to make 100% sense as that's not the point:

The fact that most people think overclocking a laptop will decrease its lifespan is the most concerning thing.

Simply increasing the clockspeed does LITTLE for temperatures or power use. You're looking at maybe a 2-3 degree rise on temps which can easily be tamed with a cooling pad or better thermal paste.

I've seen countless comments when I've googled for information on overclocking laptop GPUs: "OMG DONT OC THE LAPTOP YOU NOOB UR GONNA DESTROY THE WORLD"

The fact that so many people think adjusting a clock offset and not touching voltage does anything for heat/power use is simply disturbing.

In fact, why aren't people chastising NVidia for not putting a power limit in mobile GPUs like desktop? Or allowing me to undervolt my mobile GPU so I can figure out the lowest possible voltage for stock clocks?

My girlfriend's laptop has a 760M and I run it at +100 boost clock. It's FREE PERFORMANCE!?!?!?!!!!!?!

If I do something to my 760M that it doesn't like, the driver crashes. That's basically all. Worst case, I corrupt Windows if I'm SUPER unlucky, but almost a 0% chance for hardware damage.

Caporegime
Want a laptop ? want to OC it ? dont spec an Nvidia part. Simple.... now run along.

So ignoring the companies supplying Nvidia 980m based laptops which advertise overclocking as a feature, the people that bought these laptops and had that advertised feature removed at a later date through a driver update?

All well and good making every mobile part they sell FROM NOW ON not able to overclock AND advertising that fact AND making sure no partners advertise it as a feature.

How would you like it if Nvidia remove overclocking on your Nvidia card now after selling it to you with a variety of overclocking features?

The real question is, why have they now started to lock down overclocking and were actively having it advertised as a selling feature before.... problems with dying 980M's in laptops? Not like Nvidia have a history for getting thermal spec on materials wrong which killed 100's of millions worth of laptops is it.

Mobster
Soldato
So ignoring the companies supplying Nvidia 980m based laptops which advertise overclocking as a feature, the people that bought these laptops and had that advertised feature removed at a later date through a driver update?

All well and good making every mobile part they sell FROM NOW ON not able to overclock AND advertising that fact AND making sure no partners advertise it as a feature.

How would you like it if Nvidia remove overclocking on your Nvidia card now after selling it to you with a variety of overclocking features?

The real question is, why have they now started to lock down overclocking and were actively having it advertised as a selling feature before.... problems with dying 980M's in laptops? Not like Nvidia have a history for getting thermal spec on materials wrong which killed 100's of millions worth of laptops is it.

I have Sony doing it all the time with their stuff... ps3 other OS, Vita maps and youtube. I live with it.

Why have Nvidia now locked it down ? Really ? who the hell OC's their laptop anyway, and also there's too many idiots that know nothing of what they are doing especially on a laptop.

Soldato
who the hell OC's their laptop anyway

My thoughts entirely.
I've had gaming laptops in the past and some friends have them now. I wouldn't recommend overclocking due to heat and power usage. Not all gaming laptops have the PSU overhead nor the power circuitry to cater for overclocking anyway.

Though saying that. I wanted to raise the memory clocks on my work laptop so i could play pay day 2 better, as it's **** for gaming. Turns out i couldn't overclock it anyway. It's an AMD card by the way.

Soldato
I don't understand why people buy "gaming laptops" anyway. My laptop is capable of gaming, but I appreciate that I can't play the biggest AAA titles at the settings and FPS I would on my PC. And who the hell wants to overclock a laptop? I thought most people used a laptop when travelling/not near power sockets, so you want lower power consumption. If you game full time on a laptop...then please, do yourself a favour and buy a desktop. You're paying more for the laptop.

People need to stop QQing about every small change. Nvidia obviously feel that overclocking the part is going to do more harm than good. At the end of the day, most people will overclock it, and then complain to the manufacturer when it dies, who then have to deal with Nvidia.

As for the guy above, who posted the GPU-Z photo...why do you run a gaming laptop 24/7? Makes no sense...

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I did for a year - was moving around a bit and lugging a desktop wasn't really an option. Though I had a keyboard and mouse with me and often a monitor (or sometimes hotel room TV, etc.) to hook upto it so essentially it was an ultra mobile desktop.

Thanks to Samsung using a propitiatory board which has the components spaced out 25% more than the reference board and uprated cooling combined with being essentially an underclocked desktop 560 it overclocks like crazy - but also means upgrading it would be a right pain :S I've been running it for years with IIRC 35% core overclock and ~30% memory clock without any ill effect - ~2C higher temps than stock though I suspect I'm rinsing the power supply.

I don't understand why people buy "gaming laptops" anyway. My laptop is capable of gaming, but I appreciate that I can't play the biggest AAA titles at the settings and FPS I would on my PC. And who the hell wants to overclock a laptop? I thought most people used a laptop when travelling/not near power sockets, so you want lower power consumption. If you game full time on a laptop...then please, do yourself a favour and buy a desktop. You're paying more for the laptop.

People need to stop QQing about every small change. Nvidia obviously feel that overclocking the part is going to do more harm than good. At the end of the day, most people will overclock it, and then complain to the manufacturer when it dies, who then have to deal with Nvidia.

As for the guy above, who posted the GPU-Z photo...why do you run a gaming laptop 24/7? Makes no sense...

Not everyone's lives are the same - I spent a year moving about for work reasons (and money wasn't an issue so didn't really care I was paying more than an equivalent desktop) it was far simpler to have a desktop replacement laptop that I could unpack/pack up with minimum fuss when moving between accommodation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Want a laptop ? want to OC it ? dont spec an Nvidia part. Simple.... now run along.

Ah that's fine then. We will just spec a AMD... er.... what high end mobile card do they have again.... um... ok I am at a loss.

And yes I overclock my laptop.

My fully enabled GK104 (GTX 680) 780M hums along at 1000/6000...

Back
Top Bottom