Anyone been to Texas - what to do

Associate
OP
I did a trip like this back in 2009. Route was Dallas - Austin - San Antonio - Houston (via La Grange) - Galveston - New Orleans. I'd skip Dallas and Little Rock. If you're heading East out of Texas try spending a night or two in New Orleans.

Austin is a great city as is San Antonio.

We went to New Orleans in Sept2014, really enjoyed and would recommend it but no plans on going back for a while.

Texas and no one has suggested a shooting range yet...

Good idea, thanks

Salt lick grill is somewhere to visit in Austin, very good bbq. It's been on man vs food if you want to look it up. Also, you could go shoot some guns, we went to a good outdoor range that had all sorts of things to play with. Pete's piano duelling bar is good fun too in downtown Austin.

What are you doing in Memphis? I live an our outside of Memphis and the only touristy thing to do there is walk down Beale street, oh and Elvis if you're into that. Flying Saucer is a nice bar if you like your beer, there have a pretty vast selection.

If you're going to Nashville and are into your history there are some good civil war tours in a town just south of there called Franklin.

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as Memphis goes were considering doing the Gracelands tour & Sun Studio's tour. In Nashville were looking at doing Ryman Auditorium tour & Hall of fame tour.

If you like motorsport check out the Austin GP circuit as I am told it's a great place to spectate. I'm also a board advisor to a couple of tech start ups in Austin so if you want a coffee in one of those buildings full of brains the size of worlds and soft cushions with break out areas, let me know :D

Good idea i'll check that out.

No idea how it lines up with your trip, but wanted to go here for years.

http://bigtexan.com/

You got to have lots of steak In texas.

Looks like one to visit, thanks.

Associate
I liked odd things in Texas, So I liked the Cadillac Ranch @ Amarillo but thats really far out.

Austin 6th Street Bars I met some really nice people here so it was more the people than anything.
Austin @ Umlauf Sculpture Garden I loved it.
Austin @ Pace Bend Park
Austin @ Confederate Soldiers Monument

I did not get to see much in San Antonio I was only there for 2 days but I visited Buckhorn Saloon & Museum.

Hope that helps :)

Oh in Houston I went on a Fishing trip too :)

My next trip to America will be Route 66 :)

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
see the bats in Austin

loved drinking around the river walk in san antonio..remember not to urinate on the alamo..they take a dim view of relieving yourself on a national monument..nice gardens at the alamo as well lots of hummingbirds, its weird because its surrounded now by urban areas, its not how you imagine it to be

Soldato
For my 2000th post!

Eat proper steak at a decent grill
Ride a bull
participate in a redneck rodeo
Square dance like the king of the town
Try a legendary texan milkshake

Caporegime
So in March 2016 myself and a couple of friends will be heading to Texas for a couple of weeks. The plan so far:

Fly to Houston, then go to (in no particular order) Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Lynchburg and Atlanta.

We so far have a few ideas of things to do, these being Jack Daniels tour, Dollywood theme park, Gracelands tour, Clinton library, Tour of the Alamo & Johnson Space centre.

So for anyone who has been to these places is there anything you would recommend to do or go and see that we haven't though of yet.

Thanks.

Visit one of the little rural towns for a day and get a proper taste of authentic Texas.

I recommend Comanche (population ~4,000). Some nice folks down that way. Stop by at the Mazurek Ranch and tell them I sent you. Talk to Wayne and Mary Beth, they'll treat you right.

:)

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Visit one of the little rural towns for a day and get a proper taste of authentic Texas.

I recommend Comanche (population ~4,000). Some nice folks down that way. Stop by at the Mazurek Ranch and tell them I sent you. Talk to Wayne and Mary Beth, they'll treat you right.

:)

we went to La Grange ..and had a milk shake in a little coffee bar around the the town square and its courthouse

we also saw convicts doing gardening work around the town, complete with guard in mirrored aviators, big hat and shotgun

it was like being in the dukes of hazard

Back
Top Bottom