Bullies, at 5 years old

Permabanned
I've been in meetings with my kids headmistress after my son was subject to a sustained period of abuse and violence from another child over a number of weeks.

I have seen a police report from the same school where a child with special needs was assaulted because she has special needs.

Speculative enough?

Again, this is just pure speculation. Do you have government issued reports which have been investigated and verified to be the so called "bullying"?

Soldato
Again, this is just pure speculation. Do you have government issued reports which have been investigated and verified to be the so called "bullying"?

Not speculation at all, experience.

And it was handled internally, supposedly in line with the anti-bullying policy. Things did improve but then, happily the other child left the school.

His mother wasn't much better either.

Associate
Schools do not allow bullying as per policy, hence it does not happen.

Please stop this conspiracy nut-job stuff.

This is surely not a serious post?

I'm actually not sure what camp I would fall in to here. I'm generally against violence, but then I was never really bullied at school, so can't really relate. I was never a fighter, but I was a bit lippy so could always take the mick out of any opponent enough that they would be deflated.

I'd have no problem with any child of mine fighting back (if I had children). As long as they knew that it was for self defense only, and that the avoidance of violence was always preferred.

Soldato
This is surely not a serious post?

I'm actually not sure what camp I would fall in to here. I'm generally against violence, but then I was never really bullied at school, so can't really relate. I was never a fighter, but I was a bit lippy so could always take the mick out of any opponent enough that they would be deflated.

I'd have no problem with any child of mine fighting back (if I had children). As long as they knew that it was for self defense only, and that the avoidance of violence was always preferred.

We get taught all sorts of unarmed defence stuff at work, I've passed one on to the boy for quickly and effectively getting an aggressor away. This was after he punched the above mentioned scrote who pinched him.

The pinch left a bruise and I've seen cases of assault get charged for less.

Soldato
Schools do not allow bullying as per policy, hence it does not happen.

Please stop this conspiracy nut-job stuff.

Is this a troll? it must be

bullying happens on a massive rate in schools everyday verbally and physically

I am firmly In the camp of if they hit you, floor them and go all crazy on them they will soon learn not to mess with you as it will end up worse for them everytime. Worked a treat for me when I was getting bullied in school and for my brother.

Soldato
My son is strong as an ox

The kid is attacking your son purely because your son doesn't hit back, strength doesn't come into it. Bullying is psychological.

There was a giant in my year at school who was bullied horrendously by people half his size, because bullying is psychological not physical. There was one particularly cruel ginger kid who would slam this guys head into the bus window every day as he got on and off the bus.

Do you want this happening to your son?

At 5 your son is quite young but I would instill the fighting spirit in him young. Tell him to hit the lad unexpectedly when no one is looking, something like walking by and slamming his knee into the kids ribs or back would suffice. No need to square up and fight him, just a painful shock to put the boy back in his place.

I think you made a mistake getting the teachers involved.

Soldato
Tyler is a big lad, stand about 6" taller than most other kids at that school and he's strong as an ox,...

I was 'big' at school. Not tall, not fat, just worked on the farm at night/weekends and was built well.

Got bullied a lot at school.

Looking back if I'd smashed the bully's face in once... Would have been no more problems thereafter.

If he's big and soft, he'll attract bullies.
Get him to either punch him in the face once, or a knee to the plumbs.

Only enough to stop the bully coming back.

IMHO ofc.

Associate
I'm going to go though the proper channels and also give my son free reign to defend himself. It's not that Tyler won't hit, he's at the stage where he thinks every school rule is sacred to him. When I have asked him why he did not hit the boy back before he always says it's because he does not want to get into trouble. Suppose I need to convince him it's not wrong to hit someone if they already did it to you first.

It'll be much more effective talking to the head teacher if you have a clear idea of what you want from the discussion, I'd suggest the following:

Make a formal appointment with the head or deputy head (and don't bother with a year head etc) to discuss the issues: this signifies to them that you are serious about it and allows you to ensure that a record is kept of the discussion. Just "having a word" gives them an excuse to ignore it or "forget" the discussion.

Obtain a copy of the anti-bullying policy for the school. This will set out very clearly what they should be doing (but very often don't do) and can be a useful stick for you to prod them with.

Be clear about what you expect to happen (the bullying stops immediately) and also be very clear that if you son continues to be bullied by this child after your meeting you will want a further meeting to discuss why it hasn't stopped and what the school intends to do about it (talk to the parents etc).

Your language is important: the school staff will more than likely use terms such as "boisterous play" or similar- if you are framing the discussion in terms of "physical assault" they will sit up and take notice. Also make it clear to them that you have told your son he is allowed to defend himself and that you do not expect him to be punished if this happens - the school should instead be punishing the bully for instigating it.

I wouldn't raise it with the kids parents in the first instance, no-one likes hearing that Daddy's little hero is actually a spiteful little **** so leave it to the school staff to do that job. Might be worth asking around the other parents to see if anyone else is being picked on by the same kid though (your son may well know), if they follow the same process I've outlined above then all of a sudden the school has got a big problem that needs dealing with quickly.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tyler is a big lad, stand about 6" taller than most other kids at that school and he's strong as an ox, I don't want him hitting anyone if I can help it at all, he's got really good nature and I don't want to have him hurt anyone. He play fights with his big brother and regularly brings tears to his eyes. But it's catch 22, if this continues it might make him turn nasty and I don't want that either.

A boy needs to know how to defend himself. Knocking the other boy on the ground will teach the 'bully' a lesson and give your son some confidence that he can take care of himself.

Associate
Having been bullied in school myself in Year 7, the older sibling certainly helped out. Never again was I bullied. No violence took place in the situation, just a stern threat. I look back at it all now though I can actually laugh because it was resolved but still provided some form of learning experience - mainly cos I'm actually friends with those who were bullying me; they were in my tutor.

The sooner it is resolved the better. I'd go at the soonest possible opportunity and speak to the head; they still usually go in to the schools during half-terms so I'd chance it and ring up the school and ask to speak to him/her. If that does not provide a resolution, get the older sibling involved (if possible), if not I'd actually report the school to the authorities (as in OFSTED and whoever else required), and tell the school you are doing so - perhaps then something will bloody well be done about it. Nobody should have to endure what your child, as well as many others, are going through; it can, and does, mentally scar some children.

Soldato
You go via the official channels, right up to the Head Teacher...whilst you teach your child that whilst violence is always the last recourse, if the bully doesn't stop he gets a kick in the nuts followed by an elbow to the face.

99% of bullies give up after that and chase a new target

Back
Top Bottom