The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Soldato
I think with all the problems the 21:9's have and that this can do it as well it's become a bit of a no brainer. I've decided against a 21:9 and think i'll get one of these soon unless anything better is released.

Associate
Glad I pulled the trigger yesterday while there was still +10 in stock. Not only have OC sold out again but I noticed 2 other retailers who received stock yesterday have sold out as well. A monitor like this is long overdue and Philips must be loving it.

I'm a software dev and currently use 2 x 24" Dells - one in landscape and one in portrait. I can't wait to have 2x more pixels!

Associate
Hi,
Looking at purchasing one of these purely for gaming.Currently have 2 x 2gb 670's which I know would not be up to the task.
Would 2 x 4gb 980's have any chance of running most games maxed out at that huge res?
Thanks for the help.

Associate
Mine arrived and it is incredible, running dying light at 21.9 and its a totally different experience.

I have 1 stuck pixel but it is so small that I am not going to send it back as no doubt the next would have a cluster lol

Associate
Got mine today. It's epic, need to find some 4k wallpaper now :cool:.

A bit odd that it didn't come with a USB hub cable. The USB sockets on the back aren't useable without the 3.0 type-B cable.

Associate
Got mine today. It's epic, need to find some 4k wallpaper now :cool:.

A bit odd that it didn't come with a USB hub cable. The USB sockets on the back aren't useable without the 3.0 type-B cable.

Yeah I found that a bit odd as well, I forgot to order one as well but I am wall mounting it so the hub wouldn't be any good for me anyway

Associate
mines arrived...yay.

massive headache with the scaling as it set desktop to about 30% and pages to 300%, I have never had to mess with it before so got me in a tiz.

once setup its brilliant, full res at 60hz and all sweet, hasn't gone fuzzy when scaled up a little and I am now happy.

few points.

being a dvi user I had probs with the sound when moving to display port, the sound came out of the monitor and not my speakers, just reset my speakers as default sound.

once you master the scaling all will make sense and become fine.

don't just bin the cd, install the smart control for onscreen controls instead of that navigation switch on the back.

very happy now.

Associate
mines arrived...yay.

massive headache with the scaling as it set desktop to about 30% and pages to 300%, I have never had to mess with it before so got me in a tiz.

once setup its brilliant, full res at 60hz and all sweet, hasn't gone fuzzy when scaled up a little and I am now happy.

few points.

being a dvi user I had probs with the sound when moving to display port, the sound came out of the monitor and not my speakers, just reset my speakers as default sound.

once you master the scaling all will make sense and become fine.

don't just bin the cd, install the smart control for onscreen controls instead of that navigation switch on the back.

very happy now.

What are your settings for the scalling as I am a little baffled by that stuff, also text is not as sharp as it was on my old Hazro but I guess that could be a setting in windows maybe,

My screen came pretty well calibrated out of the box although the brightness was at 100 but I have left it for now as I am still in awe :D

Associate
Well i got my Philips 4K a few days ago and im very, very happy with it. I've been using a 32" Sammy LED TV for the last 5 years as a monitor so thing is a big step up for me, the colours are fantastic..... especially in games/ D3 RoS :D

Watched a few movies (non 4K) and played Diablo3 (at UHD res) and just about to load up one of my favorite games.... World in Conflict.

I've not played with the setting much nor have i looked for an faults, banding bleeding or whatever these monitors are meant to have.

I've set Chrome browser 150% so internet is all good.... altho browser tabs are small but i guess that's just W7 (Bring on W10!)

I would like to know what setting people are using if possable? And to any one looking to buy this Philips 4K monitor... do it, you wont be disappointed imo! :cool: its the best monitor ive ever used lol (from LG to Dell to Sammy)

20150217_181909_zpsz3hr2svz.jpg

20150217_182352_zps33lsxt8x.jpg

20150217_182838_zps3yzpa0tc.jpg

20150217_210659_zpsew1ocvsf.jpg

20150220_091307_zpsvhzr0zmj.jpg

20150220_091320_zpsd5oaddtf.jpg

20150220_094634_zps8ehg8yo9.jpg

20150220_102726_zpszcw6zaf5.jpg

Associate
Most things are "off" in the menu which I think is best. The only things I changed were, DisplayPort 1.2, sRGB mode and pixel orbiting off.

I put Picture Format to 1:1 instead of widescreen but I don't think that changes anything.

Soldato
So much room for activities!

IyiJe1a.jpg

What window management programs are people using to tile windows quickly and precisely?

I've tried two so far GridMove (free) and MaxTo ($18 after 30 day trial)

Grid move seemed a little unintuitive. MaxTo is super easy to split and define areas.
If a window your using is in one of the grids you define and you maximise it will only maximise to fill the grid you're in, which is great.

Seems quite expensive for what it is, but I prefer it to grid move so far.

One issue I am having is when watching you tube videos they're often quite small, but if you maximise them to fill the whole screen they're overpowering unless you take a step back from the screen. I was hoping MaxTo would allow a way to maximise the vid within the grid, but the full screen button still goes proper full screen. Any ideas?

I sometimes use theater mode to increase the size of the vid a little, but a little bigger would be better.

EDIT: It seems theatre mode does jump bigger after the window is approx 1350x980. It doesn't scale fluidly though, which is a bit of a pain.

Soldato
Argh...stop making this hard Gibbo :) can someone please tell me of any reason not to get this apart from the size when iv wanted a 34 ultrawide for months now but they all have issues?

Associate
Found this on post 390...

"what ever you guys do leave pixel orbiting enabled.

its basically the monitors internal burn test to stop still images from burning the pixels into the monitor. as this pixel orbiting will shift the pixels and stop this happening. "

Associate
Argh...stop making this hard Gibbo :) can someone please tell me of any reason not to get this apart from the size when iv wanted a 34 ultrawide for months now but they all have issues?

These are the only known issues so far but again no one seems to care since this is the fastest selling monitor in all of time for this site.

-PWM flickering when not at 100% brightness (no one seems to be effected by it or can notice it. I leave my screen at 100% brightness anyway it's not really too bright IMO)
-Strange artifact issues where colors bleed off horizontally or vertically on the screen (most noticeable in grays, only reproducible on office/web use and not games/movies. I posted about this on page 24. People seem to not care, don't notice it enough, or calibrate their monitors to not show or minimize this effect)
-Screen drops to 30hz sometimes when monitor goes to sleep (can minimize this by adjusting computer/screen power cycles, turn the monitor off then back on, ect.)

Last edited:
Associate
These are the only known issues so far but again no one seems to care since this is the fastest selling monitor in all of time for this site.

-PWM flickering when not at 100% brightness (no one seems to be effected by it or can notice it. I leave my screen at 100% brightness anyway it's not really too bright IMO)
-Strange artifact issues where colors bleed off horizontally or vertically on the screen (most noticeable in grays, only reproducible on office/web use and not games/movies. I posted about this on page 24. People seem to not care, don't notice it enough, or calibrate their monitors to not show or minimize this effect)
-Screen drops to 30hz sometimes when monitor goes to sleep (can minimize this by adjusting computer/screen power cycles, turn the monitor off then back on, ect.)

had mine a few days now so tested it out for my needs.

got one pc in the displayport 3840x2160 @60hz, this pc is for general family use, office, paint email, web browsing, movies etc etc.

server is on the vga port

and games pc is in the hdmi until I can sort a mini dp to dp cable 1920 x 1080 @60hz for now.

got the brightness at 85% as 100% is way too much for me, I have not seen any flickering, I will be honest and say no bleed issues at all under any condition, it also resumes from sleep without going to 30hz.

although..

it does return from sleep and for some strange reason the taskbar is off screen (just need to tap win key for it to return) and it makes open windows smaller but this could be a windows thing as I removed 3 monitors and replaced with this one.

all in all I am super happy.

desktop scaling is set @100% and ie scaling @125%, no eye strain and I do wear glasses, and I do mean bottle bottums as well lol.

not using the monitors sound but if I did I would complain it needs a dedicated volume switch, a quick input button would also be nice but if you install smartcontrol from the included cd on each device all is good.

a remote would have been nice.

oh, the inputs on the underneath would have been better, just me as I suspect others prefer them as they are.

if you are still on the fence, get off now and get one ordered.

not going to give a 10/10 as improvements mentioned could easily have been sorted with a little people testing from phillips but 10/10 for the display for my needs and 9/10 overall.

I have tried coloured bands and black on white and overlapping windows, I just cant get any faults with my settings.

30hz is pants, either use display port or stick to 1080.

thank you.

wakadoo.

Back
Top Bottom