Sexual remarks at work

Soldato
I'll keep this short, I had a safety training session. Hosted by a middle age slightly overweight woman. Lovely lady, funny and really helpful. In the training was the trainer, 1 young girl and 2 young guys and my self (guy).

However, throughout the training (medical equipment safety procedures) she would make 'sexual remarks' meant as jokes.

"Always take your belts off to enter the MRI scanner otherwise it will be pulled off, by the MRI scanner or me"

"In case of fire, press said button, firemen will turn up with big hoses and make all the ladies happy"

And even something about making men strip to their underwear in some situation and how she enjoyed it.

Multiple remarks like the above intended with tongue in cheek humour. The girl laughed at most but us guys felt properly awkward and a guy even said he did to me after.

Now, reverse the roles, put a middle ages fat man making remarks about young girls getting naked and he'd have his P45 before his next cup of tea.

I want to complain but don't think it's worth the effort as it's 'banter' and 'humour'.

Thoughts?

Caporegime
Are you really offended? Are you? Really though?

If you are really are offended, like seriously health risk offended then complain. If not, worry about something worthwhile.

I totally understand where your coming from, but just leave it be.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;27660096 said:
Was it really that big a deal? Or is this a whole ISNT SOCIETY UNJUST WOE IS ME kinda thing?

Kind of the latter, I work in IT so banter is most needed. I'm just confused as to why men can't make such remarks in the work place but women can. If they can throw the banter, why can't they take it?

Associate
It's interesting that all the H&S I've seen are like this too. The trainer seems to feel some need to drag it on uselessly and include "jokes". I've always put it down to the useless subject matter in hand and them needing to justify the session subconsciously to the attendees

Soldato
Equality is not equality; deal with it and move on. I was in a software handover session this week where three women were exhibiting more testosterone than the Brixham Fisherman rugby team. Cringeworthy is an understatement; in some workplaces the scales have well and truly tipped the other way.

I don't think it will serve you well to challenge it, as much as it pains me to say it.

Soldato
I can see this being an interesting thread.

I know someone that was fired for sexual harassment because he told a girl her hair looked nice over internal comms. Then they checked and found more comments of similar things and basically pushed him out.

it's a very petty world we live in.

Soldato
I hope this is a troll

If not, People nowadays are pathetic!

What are you? A spotty and embarrassed 12 year old? Grow a pair and flirt back.

Soldato
Kind of the latter, I work in IT so banter is most needed. I'm just confused as to why men can't make such remarks in the work place but women can. If they can throw the banter, why can't they take it?

Because equality in the workplace between men and woman doesn't exist.
Its not fair but thats life! Getting worked up about it will get you nowhere.

Soldato
Funnily enough, our client has a weekly competency quiz and asks situational questions and then a multiple choice to what you would then do.

This is exactly what today's question was! - The correct thing to do would be to speak to HR about the situation as if it's making people feel uncomfortable then the trainer needs to understand that and have words with.

Soldato
You should've played along and pretended to be the world's worst bloke at innuendo. You could've just shouted, "Yeah, and you could've gotten your enormous jugs out and beat the fire into submission".

Back
Top Bottom