Fork lift licence question

Soldato
Hi all,

Hoping someone on here can clarify something for me.

In my work history (last 10 years) I've received training and became certified to drive counterbalance and reach forklift trucks. I was under the impression that they lasted 3 years and then needed to be retaken. I've just found my certs and there is no renew date on them, a quick google came across this:

http://fork-truck.org.uk/uploads/uploads/fact_sheets/FS_02.pdf

There is no such thing as a fork lift truck driver’s licence!

There is no central licensing authority.

Every employer has a responsibility, under Regulation 9 of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER 98), to ensure that employees have adequate training before they use work equipment. The training required in order to operate most fork lift trucks is explained in the special Code of Practice detailed below.

The operator should receive training on each type of equipment he or she may be required to operate. Such training may be provided by an in-house instructor or an external trainer. The training provider should then issue a certificate, or other document, giving details of the results of that training. This document is not a licence.

The employer is required to give written authority for any employee to actually operate the equipment. If an individual document is issued this is the closest document to a licence, but it is not a licence. The employer alone will determine how long this authority remains valid but it is good practice to ensure that the performance of all operators is formally monitored.

Can anyone confirm which is true?

While I've been applying for 'good jobs' I've been looking at just getting anything but have avoided FLT jobs because I thought I had no licence.

Associate
Where I work when bringing temps in we check they've had training in the last 5 years before allowing them to drive a fork lift. For our own staff we operate a 3 year refresher training policy.

Soldato
You need to show that you have been trained to operate one to a competent level should you have an accident on one.

Whether it's the employer or an outside trainer, it doesn't matter.

There is no such thing as a licence, the certificates you get are nothing more than the equivalent of having a 5 meter swimming certificate.

Soldato
In conversation with the HSE on a general inspection all that we had to show was that the staff that used it were trained to do so competently, ie a cert to say so. There was no requirement that this was renewed regularly.

Tea Drinker
Don
We only got a training cert from an independent body when I was driving counterbalance trucks however it was acceptable to take it to another firm.

Most construction site require CPCS cards with the type of forklift stated telehandler / counterbalance / reach.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Most construction site require CPCS cards with the type of forklift stated telehandler / counterbalance / reach.

This is just warehouse so no CPCS needed, although I've looked at them as I would like to get into Joinery/carpentry, but at my age i'm not sure a £120 a week wage would cover any of my bills :(

Thanks all, CV is now updated to include them, lots of temp jobs just opened up :D

Soldato
OP
We pay skirting carpenters £120 a day, joiners on site £160, shuttering carpenters £200+ and if you're on your own and a proper chippy expect to charge £250 - 300 a day including your transport, tools and minor materials.

Yeah but I've no experience/qualifications and the only way in seems to be via an apprenticeship with the jobcenter. Doesn't seem you can just get a job, get paid for that job and train by doing anymore. Also doesn't matter that I've helped fit a shop out before, build stud walls, laid flooring and fitted a couple of kitchens with mates.

Soldato
My understanding of all the FLT is that the FLT 'license' is just proof of training, the company is required to show that any person operating is a fit and competent person - this latter is usually covered by external trainers to cover ones backside.

Associate
Technically isn't a license but a training certificate. As for refreshing I have worked in places where I had to do it every 3 year's but where I am now its a smaller company and we aren't bothering as the employer is happy with how I drive. It isn't mandatory that it is refreshed and it doesn't run out but as it is only a training cert companies especially large ones like to cover their backs so they frequently refresh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom