How to drive slowly?

Soldato
I switched to listening to the radio, podcasts, classic music and I think it has an effect.

Its more about a state of mind. Letting people in ahead of you, etc.

That said I no longer need the car to drive to work, so when I've had a few weeks off from driving, going back to it, it all seems pointless hassle.

Soldato
I drive slowly (in the car) because there are a million and 10 cops here and I need my license for work.

Fuel is $2.19 a gallon... it's very difficult to drive slowly when it costs so little to floor it :p

Soldato
You can't seem to get anywhere these days without someone wanting to do 40mph on every road, in every condition, at every time of day, in every speed limit. So, in answer to your question, it's easy to not speed everywhere, you just have to sit behind these people.

Every now and then you will get a few cars that are cruising at a good safe 60mph pace and you find that no one tries to do silly over takes, no one sits 2 ft from the person in front and everyone feels like they're making decent progress - it's bliss!

It's not long though until you all come up behind some selfish individual who is doing 35-40mph when it is more than safe to do 60mph. And in my experience, it is these 40mphers who can be some of the biggest hazards on the road. They have no awareness, they have no driving skill and they are prone to doing completely random things that can catch you off guard if you aren't careful.

Last edited:
Associate
It was easy - I bought a Series III Land Rover. Life in the slow lane is so relaxing - you can get to 70 (downhill, tailwind etc), but pootling along at 50 does wonders for your inner calm. Also bear in mind I had the sporty petrol version, not the even-slower diesel!!!

Soldato
Staying at the speed limit with the cruise control on is so much nicer than doing 5/10MPH over the limit and constantly overtaking, braking and looking around for the police.

Do what I did, get a 1.6 TDI, then you get to floor it everywhere.

I love the "It's sunset so I'm going to drive at 40MPH on this straight single carriageway" brigade, GET OFF THE ROAD!

Permabanned
Trackday +1
After first one flooring it around city lost all fun factor. Now all i see is:
Speed cameras
Speed bumps
Cops lurking for me around corner
Curbs that can wreck my car

But I do have a blast first and second gear to fuel cut every Friday night on empty road i know its safe just to feel that vtec. But that is cause my car stands other 5-6 days in garage :p

Soldato
I have a SV650 (bike) so as you can imagine, as with most bikes it can break the speed limit in 2nd. I usually speed but not ridiculously, for example 70 in a 50. I'd say i'm more of an acceleration freak rather than a speed freak. I don't really enjoy getting battered by wind at 120, but winding it up to 10k revs, yes please :p

I've seen posts in here regarding track days; this is something I really want to do in the near future :)

Man of Honour
Agreed with track days, I've only done about half a dozen, but they have tamed my driving - along with getting older - that I now still enjoy the throttle for acceleration and appreciate reading the road ahead and cornering more. That said, I learned that better doing IAM as well as having 16 years of driving experience.

Back
Top Bottom