M62 Cameras

Permabanned
Hi just a quick one, not really happened before on this stretch of motorway, anyways M62 heading towards Leeds M621 junction which also heads onto the M1 Wakefield. There are 4 lanes 2 outside continue on the M62 and the inside M1 and M621, all 4 had 50 displayed for 3 gantrys then the last one just before the junction displayed 30 on the two inside I had a artic just behind me basically on my bumper we were both 50 then I noticed the 30 with the Artic on my bumper I couldnt really slow down to 30 more 40 incase he went into the back of me.

Here is a pic to explain. Its not the exact gantry but exactly the same layout.

Bit miffed how they can have 70 to 50 then 30 on a motorway? Asking for a pileup?? Do these cameras work because 100% every car infront and on my side did not see the 30 and travelled at 50!!

Ha bet none of that makes sense but any way!! :o

stream_img.jpg

Soldato
I've never seen motorway variable speed limits go to 30mph before either...and I spend a large portion of my life on the UK's motorway network!

Edit: just done some reading up and as far as I can tell the lowest speed used in Smart (variable speed limit + dynamic hard shoulder) or Controlled (variable speed limit only) motorways is 40mph, plus the same speed is applied all ALL live lanes, so chances are you just misread it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The cameras definitely are active, saw one go off on a car going the other way last Thursday night coming back from Manchester, on that stretch. Annoying thing is when you go under them at night, the normal illumination lights on the gantrys give a "flash-like" effect on the ground as you pass under them, due to the shadows cast by the gantrys own steelwork and those road lights. Gets you second guessing yourself every time, especially when I saw that flash for real on the other car.

Associate
I go up and down the M62 couple of times a week, and the cameras are active, see the flashes quite often in the opposite lanes. The speed signs do go down to 40 quite often, especially at the Birstall and Halifax junctions, can't remember ever seeing a 30 though.

Soldato
The worst thing about these signs is that there's no warning that they're going to change!

Even with my limited use of the M62 in peak times, I've seen it quite a few times where the limit suddenly changes (on the same sign) down from 60 to 50 suddenly causing people to suddenly brake as they're going under them. It's a ridiculous system to have on motorways without some warning to let people prepare for the change and slow down gradually.

Even with the possibly that there is a bit of time before the cameras start catching people at the new limit, without the general public knowing better, it's just dangerous.

Associate
I've seen 30mph limits on the M4 near Bristol. I've also seen different lanes with different speed limits, although that was only at the bit where the hard shoulder is used as an extra lane.

I'm not sure if it is true, but I've heard that the cameras are not active on the first gantry where the limit changes. This might be complete cobblers though.

ADT

ADT

Associate
I have seen them go down to 30 as well before, but only the part that leads to an exit usually.

I had something similar last week on the M25. It was sunny and the signs were not clear, went down to 40 and I didn't get enough time to brake because of some idiot behind me riding my bumper, so went through doing about 50. I saw a flash from the camera in my side mirror, not sure if it was for me or someone in the other lanes. Been a week so far now of brick *******

Soldato
Yeah I've seen them at 30 before but only on exit slip roads. Last time I saw it was late at night going anti clockwise on the M25 and approaching the M3 junction. It's normally 2 lanes for the M3 but one was coned off for roadworks. Only that exit slip was down to 30 but all the other lanes were up at 50.

Permabanned
OP
It was 100% 30 MPH for the 2 inside lanes, its on Junction 29 which does lead up to a slip road but its a good 1 mile stretch with the M62 on the outside.

Its a very poorly designed stretch as the 2 inside are independent so you get people undertaking and cutting in to make the junction.

Permabanned
OP
I don't think I saw a flash, only have to wait now!! Drive up and down the M62 and M1 more than twice daily and never seen Junction 29 set to 30MPH was a shock from 50MPH!

Soldato
I know that stretch of smart motorway like the back of my hand. The speed cameras set themselves to the displayed speed limit and I have seen many people caught out.

Bingo, there are cameras every 2-3 gantrys, and they all set to the displayed speed.

That junction is about 5miles from me.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Not yet they aren't, at least not from 32-25, I see folks going past them at 90-95 every day (not me as Im limited to 60 :p) and not one is flashed without a displayed speed.

A few times I admit when there not on I have done 80 will be lower I guess true GPS speed and have not got a ticket. When there displayed 60 50 40 or whatever I stay at that speed. Countless people easily do 90 and I never see a flash when not displayed. Its like an enigma! No body knows ha! Just very confused about the 30MPH just coming off Junction 29, very slow speed for a fast moving motorway, was around 8.30pm so not rush hour or anything.

Back
Top Bottom