Soundblaster Z = headphones blowing my head off

Associate
Hi all,

Just installed a SB z and its very good, in fact too good when it comes to my headphones.

I have Fidelio X1s and they are extremely loud when plugged into the SBZ, i can t go over about 8% windows sound before they are uncomfortable.

Do you have any ideas how i can fix this please?

Associate
I have a similar issue with the ZxR and X1s. I've just set all volumes (Windows, YouTube, Winamp etc.) to about 25% and that seems to do the trick. Unfortunately the X1s are towards the lower end of what the amp can drive and so are always going to be a bit loud compared to 150 ohm, 300, 600 ohm etc.

Soldato
All the arrow is pointing at on the photo is the frequency response measurements for headphones which is measured at 10Hz to 45kHz at an output impedance of 33 ohms.

Soldato
What Ataro has indicated to is as rids has mentioned, the headphone amp output impedance. Although, he is correct in saying that using the front speaker out for headphone would be much quieter. Not ideal though for the OP who is also using speakers.

I'm surprised Creative have not put a gain setting on the Z series, specifically the ZxR, being a £200 card. Lame, considering Asus did that with the DG, which costs a mere £25 in comparison. Creative were too busy trying shout that their Z cards have the ability to 600 Ohm headphones, they forgot that lower impedance headphones do exist and people may want to use them without being deafened.

I think the only things the OP can do, would be to do what rids suggested and use an in line volume control, bring the volume right down with Window sound mixer, or possibly get an external headphone amp and control the volume with that.

cheers but mine are way too loud at anything over 8%. Do you think there is something wrong?

No. TheDesX77 may just have a higher tolerance when it comes to volume. Friend of mine has a higher tolerance than I do. He has his headphones much louder than I can stand. He can even fall asleep whilst still listening to them, whereas I would just get a terrible headache.

Associate
If you can't use the 5.1 FL+R out then probably the ACM module that looks like an external volume control + the beamforming mic built in one unit will do the job.

It only comes with the Zx though.

kQ2uMxv.jpg

Associate
OP
thanks guys. Gotta admit its a little disappointing that Creative set up the Z this way. Guess i'll have a look at an inline volume but i thought these might degrade the sound on a decent set of headphones like mine.

Back
Top Bottom